Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: bluegardenia on October 06, 2016, 08:01:24 AM

Title: surgery
Post by: bluegardenia on October 06, 2016, 08:01:24 AM
any of you had major surgeries  aftrer sjogren diagnosis and how did it go? i mean problems with anesthesia bec of the thing they put in the mouth, mucous etc? other?
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: cccourt1942 on October 06, 2016, 11:29:52 AM
Blue...well drats for you.  What are you going to have done?  I had gallbladder surgery before my diagnosis.  I was having the chronic sialadenitis spells, and my eyes were suffering badly, but can't recall "fearing" for the dry mouth at the time.  In the hospitals here they have foam swabs which you can use to coat your mouth after surgery.  I have actually used them in my room while doing therapy...for decades. 

I know this is different for you since you can't take the dry mouth meds.  We are allowed ice chips over here before and after surgery.  Of course, that just means you have to go to the bathroom!  Rinse with your med and hope it helps.

Let us know what your upcoming situation is.  At least it's cooler weather.  :)

c3
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: Joe S. on October 06, 2016, 02:25:55 PM
I have had stents put in my heart and a rod put into my leg. I did fine with anesthesia. I would expect you to do okay also.
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: Tharrell on October 06, 2016, 03:17:54 PM
I have had multiple surgeries since diagnosis without any problems. Five weeks ago I had total hip replacement surgery on my right hip. This time I was slightly sore from the intubation, but it was gone within a day or two.
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: Carolina on October 06, 2016, 06:54:11 PM
I'm having back surgery on Tuesday.....I'll let you know how it goes.  My guess is that other issues from the surgery will take precedence over my dry mouth and eyes, but who knows.

Are YOU having surgery?

Hugs,  Elaine
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: irish on October 07, 2016, 12:37:27 AM
I have had six or seven surgeries and I will tell you that it is good to make sure to set up your surgeries in the early morning. This way you don't have to sit around for hours with a dry mouth and unable to drink water. One surgery I had was scheduled for 8AM  and there was a bad accident and my surgeon was back up call and got called to surgery. I had my surgery at 4PM. It was torture.

I was told over and over again that the doctor would be coming soon. Finally at about noon they said I could go home and reschedule. At that point I told them I was not going to go home. I was going to suffer it out and have my surgery. I told them I had made it that long so I figured I could hang in there. Well, guess that shows on stubborn I can be. I figured there was no way I was going to go through that again so just do it and get it over with.
h
Also, make sure to tell the surgeon and anesthesiologist that you have Sjogrens. Take eye drops with you to use before surgery and if it is a longer surgery give the drops to the nurse so that they can put the drops in your eyes if surgery goes long.

If you are sensitive to a lot of drugs tell anesthesiologist this. They will know to pay extra close attention and watch for issues. We usually all do fine. If you are scared of surgery and anesthesia it is actually a good thing. They always say that those who have a healthy fear do well. I always fret prior to surgery and then take a deep breathe and get it over with. Good luck.Irish
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: DesignerS on October 08, 2016, 03:58:51 AM
Quote from: Carolina on October 06, 2016, 06:54:11 PM
I'm having back surgery on Tuesday.....I'll let you know how it goes.  My guess is that other issues from the surgery will take precedence over my dry mouth and eyes, but who knows.

Are YOU having surgery?

Hugs,  Elaine

I always talk to the Anethesiologist about the dryness. They have been very kind and helpful:) No problems at all. I wish you the best.

Designer
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: araminta on October 08, 2016, 04:18:46 AM
I haven't had a Sjogrens diagnosis.   However some years ago (actually before I noticed dryness symptoms) I had an operation and my mouth was extremely dry afterwards.   What helped me was lemon and glycerine mouth swabs, and after that experience I bought a big box of them online - just in case!   They do make a big difference.
Title: Re: surgery
Post by: gurs on October 09, 2016, 05:43:52 AM
I just had sinus surgery for the second time, first one two years ago was a breeze. Had tough time after this one, because i found out they did not give me any solu medrol or steriods in my IV. This caused a major flare and POTS reactivated big time. Im still suffering big time. I talked with my rheumy and she said anyone with autoimmune should have a steriod infusion/solu medrol etc to keep system calm etc. They also use a smaller breathing tube for me since Im so dry..this might help with the pain after. Like mentioned in the other posts, make sure you tell the anesthesia doc everything.

I also drink water in the morning before the surgery..not alot, but there is no way I cant have water.

Dont try and stress..sure everything will be fine..

Gursie