I can't seem to find a lotion that will stop my skin from drying and flaking. Do you have any OTC recommendations? Or is this something I'll need a prescription for? Thanks.
I do not know if this will help, but you could try Magnesium oil.
I am always trying to new lotions and creams. For my face the creams work better, because of their richer consistency. Other lotions I use for rest of body. One thing I do like is for soap I love using the glycerin soaps. It was recommended by the health department. It somehow doesn't dry skin like regular soap.
susanep :)
Cetaphil. Comes in a thick cream or lotion. Also a gentle cleansing bar w'out soap.
I use only body washes with lots of emollients, Cetaphil only for very delicate areas, and facial wipes with emolliants to remove make up (or Cetaphil in the a.m.). I tend not to use lotions, rather try to use body butter.
Cerve makes a very good line of product for cleansing and for very dry skin.
Quote from: Joe S. on September 20, 2016, 08:25:13 PM
I do not know if this will help, but you could try Magnesium oil.
For the body or face? I can't use things on my face because I break out.
Quote from: susanep on September 20, 2016, 11:33:45 PM
I am always trying to new lotions and creams. For my face the creams work better, because of their richer consistency. Other lotions I use for rest of body. One thing I do like is for soap I love using the glycerin soaps. It was recommended by the health department. It somehow doesn't dry skin like regular soap.
susanep :)
Face creams of any type are out. I can't handle them. I can't even wear make up. I'll check into glycerin soaps. Thanks!
Quote from: cccourt1942 on September 21, 2016, 12:47:37 AM
Cetaphil. Comes in a thick cream or lotion. Also a gentle cleansing bar w'out soap.
This is otc? I have Aveeno, but I'm shedding like a lizard!
Quote from: SjoGirl on September 21, 2016, 12:40:26 PM
I use only body washes with lots of emollients, Cetaphil only for very delicate areas, and facial wipes with emolliants to remove make up (or Cetaphil in the a.m.). I tend not to use lotions, rather try to use body butter.
Cerve makes a very good line of product for cleansing and for very dry skin.
My legs are the worst, my arms next but I can't use anything on my face. I have to be very careful or I'll break out in a rash. I can wear make up but it makes my eyes feel weird, so I don't wear it often, even then it's eye shadow and lipstick only. No other types.
For the body. I use it on my legs. it is like soaking in an Epsom salt bath.
If you are shedding like a lizard I would advise you to see a dermatologist. There are many reasons for shedding skin and dryness is one of them. There are also other conditions that can involve the way that the body makes skin and we have several layers of dermis that are involved in this.
There are other autoimmune diseases that can affect the way we make new skin and the way that we shed our old skin. A dermatologist could diagnose these conditions and also could order creams that would help. You would be money ahead to line yourself up with a good dermatologist as autoimmune diseases often involve the skin. You would be amazed at how involved these docs can be with our treatment. They are internists who specialize in the skin. Good luck. Irish
Cetaphil is OTC as is CereVe. I agree with Irish, might be worth seeing a dermatologist. While my skin became very dry it never shed.
I like Cetaphil and Cereve. I like almost all products by Neutrogena.
I like a foot cream by origins that is absolutely out of this world. It has the word "heel" in it. It is the only thing that works well for my feet. It is expensive. And it is hard to find the stores. This is simply because there aren't too many brick and mortar Origin stores. But, once or twice a year they have an excellent sale and I try to stock up. I also sometimes buy them as presents for female friends and I always get incredible feedback. I've gotten it on line before, particularly if they have some kind of deel.
Very recently, I boght vitamin C serum for my face and love it.
It is a low percentage, so it is not too costly. Both my husband and I are using it and we are shocked. Within two days, our faces looks firmer.
Additionally, I use neutrogena Pore Refining Moisturizer on my face, on top of the Vit.C Serum.
I LOVE this. It is not expensive and I get it at Walgreens or CVS. I only use a little. It makes my skin on my face soft.
I put this Neutrogena cream on top of the Vit C serum (face) and my husband puts a Cereve cream on top of the Vit C serum (face). both of us are getting excellent results.
I use regular creams on my body like Cetaphil or Cereve.
And then I use the special cream from origins on my feet.
If you find a foot cream with Urea in it, it will usually be very very good. I have found them now and again at CVS. I wait for those 20% coupons and check the labels carefully looking for Urea. I buy that for a special relative and she has had very good luck with those. (Can't recall the brand right now. But, if it has Urea it is good).
The same dermatologist who said "cetaphil" advised I use Neostrata facial cream. I still use it..and now you can get it OTC. I use Neostrata Ultra moisturizing cream. I wear make up seldom as it gets in my eyes. Just sayin' that's what a derm advised me to do.
c3
Nomad which os the vitamin c serum name please?
I use Nivea Extended moisture body lotion (48 HR), and Neutragena Hydro Boost gel-cream for my face.
I can buy these at most drug stores. They work for me.
Kathy
My new vit c serum is
Skinceuticals serum 10
AOX
I bought it on line
I think the website was called lovely skin... No doubt there are others to compare.
(Double checking)
I called the 1-800 number
The representative said to get the low strength since I was new to using this and I did.
It can be an expensive product but the lower strength and this particular website made it more do-able.
I put my Neutrogena cream on top. I'm amazed! Very worth it imho.
PS magnesium creams or oil can be very helpful to use in the body helping to relieve minor aches and pains . Mortons makes one that can be purchased at Walgreens. Soothing too.
For those who might have some interest/need, the product that I LOVE for my feet/heels is basically on sale this weekend. It is at the store called origins, but I think you can get the same deal on line at Origins. It is called "Reinventing the Heel."
Now through Sunday, if you spend $25 you get $10 off. I just went to the store and bought two. One for myself and one to save as a gift. I had to make two purchases, because they would only allow one with that special $10 off.
Blue gardenia...I hope you saw my other post. The vitamin C cream is from Skinceuticals. I got their mildest formula.
thanks Nomad, ill look for it. usually i can easily find skinceuticals here in italy and i saw the vit c serum but ill ask the mildest one
Quote from: irish on September 21, 2016, 07:23:36 PM
If you are shedding like a lizard I would advise you to see a dermatologist. There are many reasons for shedding skin and dryness is one of them. There are also other conditions that can involve the way that the body makes skin and we have several layers of dermis that are involved in this.
There are other autoimmune diseases that can affect the way we make new skin and the way that we shed our old skin. A dermatologist could diagnose these conditions and also could order creams that would help. You would be money ahead to line yourself up with a good dermatologist as autoimmune diseases often involve the skin. You would be amazed at how involved these docs can be with our treatment. They are internists who specialize in the skin. Good luck. Irish
It's mostly on my legs. It doesn't come off in flakes, but when I shower, I can run my hands over my legs and feel the skin. It doesn't seem to matter how much I exfoliate, it's there. I get bumps of dead skin around the hair follicles. I'll put this on the list of symptoms. Thanks for the insight!
Quote from: Joe S. on September 21, 2016, 04:12:27 PM
For the body. I use it on my legs. it is like soaking in an Epsom salt bath.
I'll have to check that out. Thanks.
Quote from: Nomad on September 22, 2016, 10:11:05 AM
I like Cetaphil and Cereve. I like almost all products by Neutrogena.
I like a foot cream by origins that is absolutely out of this world. It has the word "heel" in it. It is the only thing that works well for my feet. It is expensive. And it is hard to find the stores. This is simply because there aren't too many brick and mortar Origin stores. But, once or twice a year they have an excellent sale and I try to stock up. I also sometimes buy them as presents for female friends and I always get incredible feedback. I've gotten it on line before, particularly if they have some kind of deel.
Very recently, I boght vitamin C serum for my face and love it.
It is a low percentage, so it is not too costly. Both my husband and I are using it and we are shocked. Within two days, our faces looks firmer.
Additionally, I use neutrogena Pore Refining Moisturizer on my face, on top of the Vit.C Serum.
I LOVE this. It is not expensive and I get it at Walgreens or CVS. I only use a little. It makes my skin on my face soft.
I put this Neutrogena cream on top of the Vit C serum (face) and my husband puts a Cereve cream on top of the Vit C serum (face). both of us are getting excellent results.
I use regular creams on my body like Cetaphil or Cereve.
And then I use the special cream from origins on my feet.
If you find a foot cream with Urea in it, it will usually be very very good. I have found them now and again at CVS. I wait for those 20% coupons and check the labels carefully looking for Urea. I buy that for a special relative and she has had very good luck with those. (Can't recall the brand right now. But, if it has Urea it is good).
I have a foot cream I like, but for the life of me I can't recall the name. It's one that's advertised on tv. It's really thick. If I don't use it, my heels will peel. I'm finding spots on my hands, they start as little round spots but then the skin starts to peel. I do feel like a lizard at times.
Quote from: Kathy57 on September 22, 2016, 03:01:25 PM
I use Nivea Extended moisture body lotion (48 HR), and Neutragena Hydro Boost gel-cream for my face.
I can buy these at most drug stores. They work for me.
Kathy
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Eucerin Calming lotion feels like you are slathering paint on yourself at first, but it is very effective. Curel Healing lotion works well for me. Hemp oil lotions are very rich and absorb well.
Goat's milk soap is excellent. Get one that has goat's milk as the first or second ingredient, which requires a little searching, and it's a little pricey, but worth it.
Plain old Dove Unscented/Sensitive skin bath bar is pretty good.
I like Cetaphil liquid and bath bar. The Cerave bar soap felt like it wasn't rinsing off.
Good luck!