Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: gurs on September 14, 2016, 06:53:20 AM

Title: Labratories not all the same!
Post by: gurs on September 14, 2016, 06:53:20 AM
Just an FYI....I know many of you come back with O negative labs etc, and I found this might be helpful. It seems when I have to use different labs, the results are all different? its really scary...who do we trust then?

My doctor has always used Quest Diagnostics, then switched to the hospital based lab..interesting results. Ive always tested positive very high SSA/SSB levels, but now when she uses the hospital, Im negative SSB? I tried this the last few times and get the same results, so its not a fluke. She she shrugs her shoulders and said it doesnt matter because we know I have SS. But I thought of all the others who might be getting conflicting results. I would recommend trying different labs, insurance permitted.

Gursie
Title: Re: Labratories not all the same!
Post by: Tharrell on September 14, 2016, 08:16:12 AM
I had the same problem. When I was the first clinic looking for diagnosis I tested positive for ss b and ana several times. Since being at Baylor for almost three years the tests always come back negative. I don't get it. Their values are the same so that's not it. I think it must be in the process of the blood work.
Title: Re: Labratories not all the same!
Post by: SjoGirl on September 14, 2016, 02:23:45 PM
FYI from the FDA, look at the last line: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/InVitroDiagnostics/LabTest/default.htm

I read an article about this years ago. It is very important to know the ranges used by different labs. So too, the person interpreting the results matters.

I try as much as possible to go to the same one or two labs to reduce variations.