Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Flower_medicine on September 11, 2016, 11:27:46 AM

Title: Sore Mouth
Post by: Flower_medicine on September 11, 2016, 11:27:46 AM
I have been experiencing a very sore mouth.My gums have been swelling and they hurt to the touch, even to eat.I have resorted to eating very soft foods because of the pain.I brush 2 times a day along with flossing.I have also been using biotene mouth wash as well as one made from Oragel made specifically for moth sores.Can anyone share their experincres and or advice ? Thanks  :'(
Title: Re: Sore Mouth
Post by: Kathy57 on September 12, 2016, 07:46:05 PM
Flower,

Have you seen a dentist regarding this?  If you haven't, then I think that would be a good idea.  Maybe you have an infection?  Just a thought. 

What kind of toothbrush do you use?  I would suggest an electric tooth brush and be very gentle when cleaning your teeth and gums.  When I have mouth sores, I take vitamin B-12 and L-Lysine supplements.  It was suggested here and I have discovered that I heal much faster when I do this.

Also, my dentist prescribed Prevident 5000, dry mouth toothpaste for me.  I brush regularly with regular toothpaste and then I use this toothpaste after flossing and brushing once before I go to bed.  Just a dab and then I spit it out but don't rinse.  The extra fluoride helps.

I'm sure other people will have more suggestions, but I would seek some professional help because your gums and teeth are so important for your overall health.

Hope your mouth feels better and soon.

Kathy



Title: Re: Sore Mouth
Post by: sixty on September 13, 2016, 04:24:46 AM
Hi Flower, just fyi, I woke up today with a sore mouth and it's not the first time it's happened.  It feels inflamed and all over the inside of my mouth.  The pain is short and goes away after a half hour or so.  I'm sorry yours is more persistant.  Hang in there.
Title: Re: Sore Mouth
Post by: Flower_medicine on September 13, 2016, 04:25:10 AM
Thanks Kathy.I do all of the above besides the prescribed toothpaste.I know I should make an appointment.I just have to get over my fear every time which takes awhile.Just curious if this is something other folks with sjogrens experience.
Title: Re: Sore Mouth
Post by: Flower_medicine on September 13, 2016, 04:27:06 AM
I will Sixty .Its just very frustrating. The orajel moth wash to help some.I suppose a apppoi ntment will be nessesary soon if it doesn't heal.Thanks
Title: Re: Sore Mouth
Post by: pweidema on October 06, 2016, 11:50:12 AM
I find my WaterPik helps keep my mouth in shape, and when I do get a sore mouth, I add a couple of drops of Hibiclens (over the counter antiseptic soap) for a few days.
Title: Re: Sore Mouth
Post by: DesignerS on October 08, 2016, 04:03:54 AM
Flower. I have been going through the same thing for weeks. All of my gum tissue, cheeks, and tongue are so painful. Very hard to brush and floss, of course I do anyway.
Not sure if its a flair up from the dryness, but we should both get checked;)

Designer
Title: Re: Sore Mouthbiopo
Post by: irish on October 09, 2016, 12:57:33 PM
I am wondering who you can see besides a dentist as it sounds like this mouth issue could be more complicated. Have you had any blood work at this time? It night be beneficial to see an immunologist if possible. It might also be good to have biopsies of your gum tissue. So many autoimmune diseases can affect the mouth tissues and we just blow it off as something that the problems are from our toothpaste or something we ate. If the top of your mouth is bright red or scalded looking it can be so painful.

If possible, find someone to take a picture of your mouth so that you have proof of this issue in case your mouth improves prior to seeing the doctor. Another thought is that seeing a dentist may help you to get a referral to another oral doctor that could help you. Good luck. Irish