Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: bartman369 on July 25, 2016, 05:20:17 AM

Title: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: bartman369 on July 25, 2016, 05:20:17 AM
Hello to my fellow dry mouth sufferers.
I have been trying a new oral hygeine gel given to me by a Dental Oncologist as a sample. The Gel called Denta-Med is promoted as an Oral Hygiene gel and after a bit of a search around the Internet world I discovered it has been endorsed by Peter Mac Cancer Centre Dental Oncology unit. On the Denta-Med website where I just bought 5x65ml tubes it states that Denta-Med is "Endorsed by Peter Mac Dental Oncology unit as the prefered dental hygiene agent - both preventative and therapeutic" I have used the samples one day on and one day off for 2 weeks and I noticed a huge benefit on the days I used the gel. This stuff works a treat for me. Mild taste and keeps my mouth moist. My bad breath seems to have improved too. I am going to carry a tube in my bag and swirl it around in my mouth a few times a day and see how it goes after 1 week. Sooooo relieving after months of searching for something that works. I will post again in 2 weeks my results.  Bartman369
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: SunshineDaydream on July 25, 2016, 06:13:13 AM
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the information, bartman! It's good to know there's another tool to keep in our bag of tricks.
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: sixty on July 25, 2016, 07:33:15 AM
Hi bartman369, thanks for the info.  Is this product available to us in stores?
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: bartman369 on September 22, 2016, 06:03:10 PM
Hello. I have seen Denta-Med Gel in a few chemists and I asked my pharmacist if she would stock it for me and she now does. My pharmacist just spoke to her supplier and they already had it on their list of stock. I also found the an online store at denta-med.com.au   Since my last post my mouth has improved dramatically! Even my dental hygienist commented on the improvement in my oral condition. :)
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: bluegardenia on October 02, 2016, 06:54:18 AM
Hi BARTMAN: i have a friend who is now in the states for a few days. i asked him to buy for me some systane ultra that is very expensive in italy. do you think i can ask him to bring me some of your gel for the mouth? is it available otc? or it need a prescription? thanks
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: dry2010 on October 03, 2016, 06:04:15 AM
Hi,
I read your post and went online to research the Denta Med. I tried ordering it online but was having problems. I sent a email to the company to my surprise a women named Erin called me back from Australia. Sh was very nice took my order and said I would see the product in 5 days. She said she would be interested to hear my feedback.I read reviews on the web page sounds hopeful since dry white sore tongue is one of my worse symptoms.

Thanks for the info..
Martha
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: Puzzled on October 03, 2016, 09:40:19 AM
Bartman 369,

Perhaps you could tell us a bit about yourself and your sjogren's?  I just see you jumped on the board and promoted a dental product but would like to hear your story and what you have already tried for sjogren's.  How is sjogren's affecting all aspects of your life?  I wouldn't mind knowing how long this product has been out and see the double blind tests for the product.

Do you have dental cancer?  Was it related to sjogren's.  Is sjogren's the direct cause of your dry mouth?

I tend to react to so many different things it is in my interest to know what exactly I'm taking and will certainly ask my oral surgeon about this product.

In fact, I happen to be reacting to a medication that was given to me by my doctor, and am fairly sick at this point from the medication.  I am to the point I'm not trying anything unless I  think it will be worth trying even if the result is that I am sick.  That means I'm past just trying something that works for someone else, because something that is just going to make me sick when there is no real evidence that the new medication is worth the try is not worth losing more time feel worse than I already do.

Thanks
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: bartman369 on October 04, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
Hello Puzzled.

I have two auto-immune diseases...... Sjogrens disease and auto-immune haemolytic anaemia (AHA) both of which my specialist's tell me are idiopathic (unknown cause). I feel that they may both be related to the fact that I have to take an immunosurpressive drug called Tacrolimus to prevent my body rejecting my transplanted liver which I received in 2013 due to inoperable Hepatoma's x 4 (Liver Cancer). Result is that I have to periodically take high dose Prednisolone to manage my haemolytic anaemia and I have just had my second round of Rituximab to also try to combat my AHA.

Symptoms for me are dry mouth, very sticky or stringy saliva, bad breath and I used to awaken during the night often needing to drink water with short term effect. Really I was awakening 5 or 6 times a night which I could attribute to dry mouth or as I have learned Xerostomia.

I have tried Biotene gel and mouthwash, Oral 7, Chewing gum, Lemon and Glycerin swabs all of which I found to not really do too much other than freshen my breath.

I dont know how long Denta-Med as a product has been around but it just works for me and I use it as directed on the packaging. I made the mistake of rinsing after cleaning my teeth with it at night but when I read the packaging and stopped rinsing the remainder of the gel it worked even better so I think that is the secret. Do not rinse your mouth after using it......I now keep a tube beside my bed and if I awaken thirsty I have some water then I put some of the Gel in my mouth and back to sleep. I also carry a tube in my bag during the day so I can use after lunch at work.

Looking at the ingredients they seem to have removed a lot of the nasties that you can find in oral hygiene products like alcohol, abrasives, Triclosan and Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.......It clearly states this on the packaging. A friend being treated at Peter Mac was advised by the dental Oncology department to use it so I adopted the use of it as well.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with medication reactions. I understand the importance of knowing what medications are O.K for you and what is not as I unfortunately have to take quite a few due to my auto-immune disorders.

I hope you can get some relief from your Sjogrens.

Bartman.

Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: Puzzled on October 05, 2016, 08:09:35 AM
Oh my you have so much going on.  I am so sorry.  I am hoping your docs can get the AHA under control.

At the moment the fact I may or may not be able to take that medication is really not as important as you getting better.  I will just check it out and see what my doctor says.  I hope you will be able to write soon that that you are much better.

Take care
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: gurs on October 09, 2016, 05:46:14 AM
I wonder what the difference is between this product and the biotene mouth gel?

Gursie
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: bartman369 on November 28, 2016, 06:45:27 PM
Hello Gursie,

In answer to your question I asked one of my specialists that very same question and it turns out that Biotene no longer has the enzymes that made it effective. Don't know why they removed the enzymes but this is why the new Biotene formula is not as effective as the old formula.

Hope that answers your question.

Bartman
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: gurs on November 29, 2016, 04:35:58 AM
Thanks so much for the info...I didnt like the biotene gel, it was too sweet or something anyways. I will check into this product.

Gursie
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: bartman369 on December 07, 2016, 05:05:32 PM
Hello Gursie.
Only too happy to help!
I feel people have no idea how annoying having a dry mouth can be and it is such a relief to find something that works so well.
I tried all of the other big name products and had absolutely zero relief and I have to agree with you....some of the products can be sickly sweet and frankly taste nothing short of disgusting!
I sent an email to order my next batch of Denta-Med gel as I use it as my normal toothpaste and not just for treatment of dry mouth. I asked about the ingredients and I had a really nice email from Erin who sent me the following which was great information for me as I do like to know the in's and outs of products I use.
"I am really pleased to hear you are getting such relief from using Denta-Med Gel. In answer to your question about ingredients of Denta-Med we are happy to inform you that Denta-Med has none of the ingredients that can have detrimental effects or taste terrible as Xylitol does. Denta-Med is pH neutral  has No alcohol, No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, No abrasives, No irritants and No Triclosan or Chlorhexidine. The ingredients that are specifically formulated to act as anti-bacterial?s and anti-fungal are Zinc Chloride, Sodium Fluoride and Cetylpyridinium. There are also a proprietary ingredient?s that has been proven to promote healing and it is the synergy of all of these ingredients that make Denta-Med gel so effective."
Good information for me and I'm even getting to sleep through the whole night without being awoken just for dry mouth.... I wake up because of pain but that's normal for me but not anymore for dry mouth.
All the best,
Bartman
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: Pete0211 on December 07, 2016, 05:08:14 PM
Hey Bartman,

I'm confused as to the use of this - is it a dry mouth gel, slathered around the mouth to relieve dryness, or is it a gel toothpaste? Or, if I'm reading what you've written correctly, is it both?
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: Way2dry on December 08, 2016, 02:35:50 PM
I am very interested in trying this as I find Biotene oral balance to be useless since they changed the formula.

Can you get Denta-Med in the US?  It looks like the company is based in Australia...
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: bartman369 on December 08, 2016, 03:01:08 PM
Hello Pete0211. I use it both as a dry mouth gel and a toothpaste. It has the same amount of Fluoride as normal toothpaste.....My dentist looked at it and now recomends it to her patients too.

Hello Way2dry. I don't know about USA. I guess you can buy it for USA as it is an online store too. You would just have to pay for postage like I do. I buy it 6 tubes at a time to cut down on postage and handling.
Hope that helps....
Bartman
Title: Re: Free sample of Denta-Med gel given to me by my specialist
Post by: Pete0211 on December 29, 2016, 05:15:16 PM
I tried some of this last week - unfortunately it tastes like shaving cream to me.