I have my punch biopsy on my left nipple and areola this coming Thursday. My surgeon and doctor seem to be implying that they believe this is Paget's disease of the breast. Paget's is a type of cancer that presents itself as a rash on the nipple/areola area often with pruritis (itching), flaking of dry skin, and sometimes oozing of the nipple.
It generally means there is a tumor elsewhere in the same breast and it usually is mistaken for exczema or some other allergy.
Treatment is conservative with removal of the affected nipple and areola area followed by several weeks of radiation or mastectomy.
Has anyone had either type of surgery or radiation? I wasn't sure how my skin and overall body may be affected by this.
My personal choice in this would be for mastectomy at this point because other areas of cancer in the same breast often go undetected even with mammo, ultrasound, or MRI. I know my mammo and u/s showed an abnormality because I received the letter telling me so today.
I can't have the MRI until after the biopsy because it has to be done a certain number of days after the first day of your last period and I missed the window for March so we're playing a waiting game for April now.
I know it could also be some other weird thing going on in my body and not be cancer but that would be very surprising to me at this point. I'm just looking for any information from others who may have dealt with these issues.
Thank you,
B
I had a mastectomy in 2013 about the same time I started with sjogrens symptoms.
At that time I was in pretty good shape as my symptoms were mild and my skin hadn't dried up yet. I chose a mastectomy over radiation because I had other calcifications in the same breast and didn't want to keep doing biopsies. I wanted to be done with it.
My mastectomy healed well except for a small spot. Now it's looking pretty good. I didn't have any problems healing.
Radiation is tough on the skin. I had a friend who had some problems with her skin burning from the treatments. And she didn't have Sjogrens.
If you choose surgery, check out the Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation's "surgery and sjogren's survival tips".
I hope you don't have it. Good luck!
I had the biopsy today and the breast MRI is on Tuesday of next week. I should be seeing the surgeon next Weds. or Friday to go over the results of the MRI and biopsy and then I'll know more.
For a little piece of skin it's a bit of discomfort but tolerable with Tylenol and a Tramadol.
Another step done, BOOM!
B
I have nothing to offer but to let you know I am thinking of you and you are in my prayers.
Thanks everyone! I do appreciate your replies and support.
I see the surgeon next Friday at 1 and will get my results.
My fatigue has been very bad for the past 6 weeks or so, like it used to be when I was first dx with multiple sclerosis. I am struggling to get through the school day, which is me arriving by 7 if not before and leaving at 4. I eat lunch at my desk while working and I am just plum worn out.
I have been taking naps when I come home from work and still sleeping all night.
The added stress isn't helping any either.
Wishing all a pleasant weekend,
B
B,
Just want to wish you the best. I've had cancer and the stress is a killer. Hugs and prayers for you.
Best,
Anna
You are in my prayers that all goes well.
susanep
Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
x loulou
B, sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Many thoughts and prayers to you!!!