Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: gardenlover on February 12, 2014, 04:03:19 AM

Title: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: gardenlover on February 12, 2014, 04:03:19 AM
Anyone found anything good for rosacea (sorry for spelling?)?  I'm going to ask my doctor next time I go in as my face is "full" of rash.  I'm been told before it is not

characteristic of lupus.  Hopefully that is true.  However, my face is a mess.  I'd rather not take a systemic antibiotic.  Suggestions?
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: Tantalus on February 12, 2014, 06:34:03 AM
Good morning, gardenlover,

I was started on metronidazole twice a couple of years apart, which only made things worse for me.

What has worked extremely well for me is topical Klaron (generic) and Oracea ($$$).  The Oracea is doxycyline, but somehow at such a low (but steady) dose it doesn't work as an antibiotic. 

I now no longer need the Oracea and can control things with just the Klaron.  It has also really helped with seborrheic  dermatitis.

T
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: gardenlover on February 12, 2014, 06:48:36 AM
Thanks, I'll ask about this  :)
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: eye2dry on February 12, 2014, 08:35:22 AM

I used Metrogel for years, then switched to Finacea 2 years ago with

much better results.  decrease flushing and face smoother.

New topical out that erases the redness extremely well.....Mirvaso.

I am not use to a normal skin tone and when I saw my "real" complexion color

I was startled...took some time getting use to.

One of my coworkers started Mirvaso and I did not know it and when I saw her one

morning I thought she was pasty looking and ill!

It works right now....no waiting.

eye2dry
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: gardenlover on February 12, 2014, 10:40:08 AM
I can't remember eye2dry, are you in Canada?  I'm just wondering about availability in Canada
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: Carebear on February 12, 2014, 07:46:44 PM
I have had success with Metronidazole gel.   And you just need a tiny amount every day. 

I had the painful burning, itching, flushing and oozing for years before I spoke to my doctor.  I know, I know.  It was gone after using the gel for about a month.
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: wendyoh on February 12, 2014, 08:19:53 PM
tantalus--in regard to the seborea dermatitis (sp) do you mean those sort of scaly spots one can get on their back and other areas with getting older that are sometimes mallginant?  no doc has ever offered a treatment for them to me, fortunately they have been in out of the way places like shoulder blade, although they did take a couple off....
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: Tantalus on February 13, 2014, 05:52:09 AM
Scaley, yes.

Mine were on my face and for an entire winter I thought it was dry skin.  I would gently remove large flakes of skin with a washcloth at least twice a day and then use cold cream all over my face in an attempt to moisturize.  I mentioned it to the dermatologist at a visit and he said seborrheic dermatitis--most likely caused by a fungus in areas with a good supply of oil.  Even so, it is not a sign of poor hygiene and grooming, rather needing to use the correct products--in my case, NOT using cold cream.

No mention in anything I've seen of malignancy, so I suspect you are thinking of a different condition.  SD may itch for some people but the major issue leading to treatment seems to be embarrassment. 
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: wendyoh on February 13, 2014, 07:32:39 AM
thanks Tantalus--I know what you mean, am remembering there are a couple kinds of seborrhea, I know which one you mean...now I wish I could remember the name of the other one....but I had some of what you had at times, doc recommended a litte bactarin or o-t-c antibitoic ointment and that worked, I wouldnt mind getting the doxy tho, sounds interesting
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: Tantalus on February 13, 2014, 10:21:08 AM
Wendy,  perhaps you are thinking of Seborrheic keratosis?   T
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: eye2dry on February 13, 2014, 11:43:15 AM



Garderlover,  I live in Ohio....United States.

eye2dry
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: SjoGirl on February 13, 2014, 02:39:22 PM
I had horrible flares when my SJS started, looked terrible. I have had very few outbreaks as a result of the following:

1. wearing sunscreen all the time, even when I will only be indoors. I wear a Neutrogena version that is for faces, it's SPF 70. We have extraordinarily bright lights at work and I figured out they were a trigger so I don't use the ones in my office, I have lamps.

2. determining which foods were triggers. There is a long list (which you can find it if you Google rosacea triggers), but not everything will be a trigger for you. Peas, lentils, and dairy are an issue for me and chocolate can be if I eat too much.

You have to experiment, but you'll figure it out pretty quickly as the dermatologist told me if you have a Rosacea outbreak because of a food it's usually within 15-30 minutes of eating it.

3. using very gentle skin cleanser, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (not the kind for faces). I do use Sea Breeze for sensitive skin on my nose if it starts to break out.

Also am very careful with makeup, I use Physician's Formula Mica Free make up (there is a brand new one that covers redness very well and has some SPF) or Bare Minerals (gluten and I believe mica free).

Hope you find this helpful.
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: slccom on February 14, 2014, 12:54:44 AM
Sunscreen! ALWAYS use sunscreen if you even THINK about going outside. That is crucial. And hats in the sun.

For me, that is pretty much all I needed to do.

Sharon
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: cccourt1942 on February 14, 2014, 05:13:14 AM
I know this is "skin" rosacea thread.....but has it crossed any of your minds that Bob Costas could have rosacea conjunctivitis?  If he had bacterial or allergic conjunctivitis alrex antibiotics drops would have cleared him up by now.  I realize  his could have started as a virus...but as we all know...by now he has to have secondary infection.  I am asking/stating this because I realize in the 4 1/2 years before I was SjS positive  I had what the ophthalmologist called "allergic conjunctivitis."  Well ..we know it was the dry eye condition which was causing those spells...since I had never had even pink eye in my entire life.  Who knows...we may  have Bob Costas in the mix here in a couple of years!! 
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: laura88 on February 14, 2014, 08:01:16 AM
There's a new (as of Sept 2013) topical cream out on the market called Mirvaso that my dermatologist prescribed me recently.  I'm ambivalent about it right now, but it would be worth a discussion with your doctor.

Has anyone's rosacea gotten worse while taking prednisone?  I had been having only a few flushing episodes over the last year or so, but for the last month or two it's been multiple times a day.  It could be from the freezing winter we're having, or it could be from a slightly higher dose (10mg vs. 5-7 mg) or prolonged use of predisone.  There is a lot of information on the internet about topical steroid-induced rosacea, but less about oral steroid-induced rosacea.
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: quietdynamics on February 14, 2014, 08:31:40 AM
Hello gardenlover, I have not been seen by a Dermatologist yet.

However, the rash on my face "could" have been a factor in the original Rheum Dx of SJS/Lupus.
Lupus was later dropped by the next Rheum. Ophthalmologist Rx'd Ocular Rosacea.

Face had of course the rash, some small  lesions, capillaries showing and my skin was brittle.

There was scant information about Ocular, so I searched Dermatology.

It was recommended in a conference paper I read to take low dose aspirin to manage Inflammation.    So why not?  This has helped both my eyes (which had been very painful ) and skin. I take it every night and since it is low dose, on rare occasions if needed I can take more.

I used Dove soap for showers.
Virgin Olive Oil for 1) Gently deep cleansing, lifts grime and make-up from pores, 2) Exfoliates and removes dry skin at the same time, 3) moisturizes with inherent anti-oxidants, etc and 4) blocks UV rays ( not the same as a commercial sunscreen)

*Barely touch your finger tip in some and massage into the skin on your arm. It will absorb and not be oily.

I have been using this routine for some time now.
For me the capillaries have definitely receded, the rash across my cheeks is non-existent to very mild (will show after a shower).
My face in facts tends to look as though I never go out in the sun,, due to the UV blocking of the Olive Oil .. so I need to use blush!

Every so often due to dermatitis on my forehead, eyebrow.. when I use Selsun Blu.. in the shower .. I wash my face with it as well.

I also turn my pillow and change pillow cases more frequent than before (we have a cat ..so her hair, dander and such.)

"The high level of squalane (from olive oil) in some products protects the skin's sensitive lipids. Squalene is the skin's most important protective lipid."

UVB/ Tumors/ Olive Oil
http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/11/2085.full

* Just saw this?
"Intestinal flora  Re: Rosacea
Main article: Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth

Intestinal flora may play a role in causing the disease. A recent study subjected patients to a hydrogen breath test to detect the occurrence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). It was found that significantly more patients were hydrogen-positive than controls indicating the presence of intestinal flora overgrowth"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: wendyoh on February 14, 2014, 07:37:44 PM
tantalus ==you called it-keratosis
yea, man, getting old is weird, still in denial
Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: Ripvanann on February 15, 2014, 10:27:10 AM
Hello. A couple of things, Life Extensions makes a product called "DermaWhey." It's made for all types of dermatitis.  It cured my sons moderate-severe psoriasis in less than a week. It's been tested and has impressive results in mild to moderate psoriasis, eczema, and other dermatitis.

I can't say enough about it. We tried everything and it just kept getting worse. You can get it half price on amazon (for around $30. Even with a $75 Life Extensions membership,  it's still $45). It's in pill form and all natural. 

Tea Tree oil is supposed to cure rosacea. I don't know if it cures it, but it keeps the little bit I have around my nose, at bay.  It's thst icey hot feeling,  but I find it quite soothing. 

Hope this helps. Truly, can't say enough about DermaWhey. Going to repost this in a recent post I read about psoriasis.  Excuse the repost.

Peace and blessings,
Andrea

Title: Re: Rosacea Treatment
Post by: gardenlover on February 24, 2014, 05:20:34 AM
Thanks everyone!  Sorry, I was in a car accident and hadn't been able to go on the computer until today.  I had a Rx for something that starts with "M" for the

rosacea but I learned that is flagyl and I'm allergic to flagyl and doxcycline.  Yikes...the search continues...I'll carefully read these posts and figure out a new plan.

Thanks