Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Carebear on November 19, 2013, 07:59:23 PM

Title: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: Carebear on November 19, 2013, 07:59:23 PM
Dear friends,

I know how minor this will sound.  But it is none the less driving me nuts!

When I swallow,  about 10% of the time anyway, the muscles along both sides of my neck or just one side, will click, twang or snap.  The sound is audible to me and I feel it with quite a force.

I sometimes have difficulty swallowing.  Not due to dryness, but more of a muscle thing.  Could this be related?  I wonder if it may be connected to my generalized muscle weakness and muscle pain.

Or maybe it's just one more oddity that I will learn to live with. 

Told you it was triivial.
Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: SjoAmy on November 19, 2013, 08:14:32 PM
Well, to my knowledge muscles don't click or snap.  Not sure what to make of twang.  A very bad pun here, redneck muscles.  ;-).

Click and snap remind me of joints and tendons.  Cervical MR would be nice.

Noticed you have RA....I do too....RA can make just about everything musical. 

Ask to have your synovial fluid checked.  Cushioning of joints is crucial in RA.

I noticed you are on Mtx, me too.  Might be time to add a biologic.
Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: sassygal on November 20, 2013, 11:05:22 AM
Carebear,

I know what you are talking about. It is a bit difficult to explain but it feels as if the muscles in the neck seize up and as you go through the swallowing motion it is like it gets to a threshold and then there is a big click or as I call it, a clunk, and you are able to swallow the rest of the way.

Every now and then this will get worse for me and it triggers an esophageal spasm which is really painful.

This has been happening to me for years and has not progressed any further. I have had twanging and clicking in other parts of my body. One descriptive I use is that it feels like rubber bands snapping/breaking.

I think describing weird things that happen in our bodies in chronic illness is very difficult.

sassygal
Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: Carebear on November 20, 2013, 03:15:07 PM
Sassygal,

That is an accurate description of my experience.  Rubber bands for sure.

My neck muscles are almost always hurting me, so I expect there is some tightening and loosening going on.
Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: SjoGirl on November 20, 2013, 04:30:46 PM
Never got twanging, but did have popping often. May have been TMJ, not sure.
Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: lighthouse33 on November 21, 2013, 10:52:39 AM
swallowing question (snap? click? twang?)

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=138156

The Epiglottis of the Larynx

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/respiratorysystem/larynx/epiglottis/tutorial.html

Structure and Function of the Glottis

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/respiratorysystem/larynx/glottis/tutorial.html

Odd Nerve Sensations in Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2009/02/01/odd-nerve-sensations-in-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.htm


Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: aussie mum on November 21, 2013, 11:55:27 AM
Not sure if it's the same thing but in the years leading up to diagnosis, occasionally my daughter's jaw used to lock up so that she couldn't open her mouth or chew. She used to massage an area in line with her temple but lower, to free it up again. We've never really had an explanation why.
Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: SjoAmy on November 21, 2013, 12:06:02 PM
Quote from: sassygal on November 20, 2013, 11:05:22 AM
Carebear,

I know what you are talking about. It is a bit difficult to explain but it feels as if the muscles in the neck seize up and as you go through the swallowing motion it is like it gets to a threshold and then there is a big click or as I call it, a clunk, and you are able to swallow the rest of the way.

Every now and then this will get worse for me and it triggers an esophageal spasm which is really painful.

This has been happening to me for years and has not progressed any further. I have had twanging and clicking in other parts of my body. One descriptive I use is that it feels like rubber bands snapping/breaking.

I think describing weird things that happen in our bodies in chronic illness is very difficult.

sassygal


I have had the clunking and clicking as I recovered from cervical surgery.  Often, with surgery, it goes through phases as to what triggers it.  Eventually it went away.  Took a month and 1/2 tho.
Title: Re: Neck muscles "twang" when I swallow
Post by: lighthouse33 on November 21, 2013, 12:28:25 PM
Dysphagia
(Difficulty Swallowing)

http://www.medicinenet.com/swallowing/article.htm