Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Heather on October 03, 2013, 05:24:00 AM

Title: Pain in my thight
Post by: Heather on October 03, 2013, 05:24:00 AM
Not muscle pain or something like that but more deep inside. I call it bonepain but don't know it's the bone. It occurs mainly when I'm lying in my beth at the end of the day. Does anyone recognize this?
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Dee on October 03, 2013, 08:04:40 AM
Is it bilateral? 

It could be tight quad or piriformis. Is there any improvement with stretching it out (number four stretch is a good one)

I know what you mean about the deep pain though, that is how I describe much of my pain to docs, my pain whether joint, muscle is generally bilateral.

I often feel it is bone pain because it is so deep but I am not sure it is just not deep muscle inflammation.

I also have this deep pain in mid and lower back at times and I describe it as being DEEP IN my spine as that is how it feels, it is different than back pain caused by muscle spasms.

Maybe it is inflamed nerves and neural pathways that cause the "deep" pain.

I have no idea and will be interested to read the replies.

Whatever it is I hope it subsides soon and you figure it out.

Take good care,
Dee



Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Joe S. on October 03, 2013, 10:19:09 AM
I called it bone pain until my leg snapped. The doctors did not believe me until the leg fractured. They still did not believe me that I felt the bone pain just that the bone broke.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Heather on October 03, 2013, 01:04:46 PM
Dee and Joe, thank you for the answers. The pain is in one leg, mostly at the same location, at the frontside slightly above my knee. Because English is not my first language I didn't know what tight quad or piriformis were, but that are muscles, aren't they?
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Dee on October 03, 2013, 01:42:03 PM
Heather, yes, they are muscles.

Interesting Joe, the docs usually don't acknowledge my "bone" pain as bone pain, hmm, so maybe it is bone pain. 

Dee
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Jenny on October 04, 2013, 04:46:36 AM
Have you had your Vitamin D level checked?  I had the same pain and was low on D. As soon as I started supplements it went away.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: slccom on October 04, 2013, 10:30:50 AM
The names of the muscles are in Latin, so you can just search the names and get the information on where they are.

I hope you feel better! There are also some Fibro trigger points in the thighs.

Sharon
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Belsey1 on October 04, 2013, 07:02:37 PM
I have terrible deep pain in my left thigh.  Sometimes it involves more of the leg.  It is worse when sitting.  Sometimes it is unbearable.....it feels like one thing obstructive in there, for lack of any other way to explain it. 
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Belsey1 on October 04, 2013, 07:11:47 PM
Jenny, thanks for mentioning theVitamin D.  I have been taking prescription Vit D for several years but stopped about 5-6 weeks ago.  Now I am trying to put my severe thigh pain in that time frame.  Perhaps that is the problem, or at least part of it.  I will get it refilled tomorrow.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Joe S. on October 04, 2013, 08:03:10 PM
Have you tried adding magnesium?
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: jazzlover on October 05, 2013, 07:51:50 AM
Yes, try good magnesium.. no oxide.

Go see a massage therapist or an orthopedic Dr. They can order physical therapy on that thigh! I have trouble myself and PT is helping  me.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Gingersnap on October 13, 2013, 10:19:19 AM
This post really caught my eye because I have this problem frequently. I get sharp pains deep in my lower thigh, above my knee, on the outside- front of my leg. Very sharp pains deep within the tissue, sometimes it almost feels like a 'ripping' pain if that makes any sense at all.. I'm pretty sure that the cause is vascular because twice when the pain was worse than usual that area has had slight swelling, redness and warmth. Its not a blood clot though because it goes away. This pain happens in both legs on and off but mainly in my right leg. Its not as bad as it used to be before I was diagnosed and went on medication but it still happens often.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Dee on October 13, 2013, 11:55:13 AM
Ginger that  sounds like it might possibly be sciatica.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Gingersnap on October 13, 2013, 12:20:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't nerve pain because during all of my pregnancies I've gotten sciatica very badly, sometimes to the point where im totally disabled and it feels very different than this. This is just one spot within the muscle of my lower thigh and its hard to explain but its a different kind of pain. Strangely enough, of all the years I have had this I've never even thought to mention it to the rheumatologist. I'll try to remember to mention it next time I go, see what he says.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: SjoAmy on October 13, 2013, 05:03:43 PM
 It might not be sciatica......it might be meralgia paresthetica.

Meralgia paresthetica (MP as I will call it to save typing) is diagnosed with an EMG, as mine was.

MP happens in the thigh area....most commonly in the outer thigh....like mine.  But it can occur on the inside too.  It feels like a sharp pain cross between nerve pain and Charlie horse pain.  I had one episode that made the knee and entire thigh turn BLUE.  Yes, I went to the ER that time.

Gabapentin was good.....Methotrexate was GREAT.  Gabapentin will halt pain.   Methotrexate will take it nearly all away.  I've been advised to stay on Gabapentin, but I have wondered because the electric pain no longer comes every night.  Until I had my surgery on C6-C7, I was on hydrocodone and amitriptyline for the pain EVERY night.....about 1 1/2 weeks into my surgical recovery I had a MP episode at night.  Began MTX at the end of that week.  I feel pulses tingling a little in my feet, but not in my thigh.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: Gingersnap on October 13, 2013, 05:38:33 PM
The MP is something I need to look into further, it really could be that.  I don't have diabetes, I'm really thin, don't wear tight clothing, etc but maybe inflammation is compressing the nerves on and off. I would never be willing to have surgery to fix it as its more of a nuisance than anything, but it would be great to receive less invasive treatment.
Title: Re: Pain in my thight
Post by: SjoAmy on October 14, 2013, 03:15:00 PM
Injection of lidiocaine & steroids.....done by pain mgmt doc.

In the meantime get lidiocaine....yes the green goo for sunburns....rub it on topically....amazing relief!

Also....magnesium tablets ground up in a blender, with tumeric powder.  Take this mix rub it on topically....it is more relief than the lidiocaine.  I think.  More natural too.


If you are choosing to supplement with oral magnesium, don't forget to supplement with oral potassium too.....magnesium and potassium are friends....better together.