Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: babycakes on January 02, 2013, 04:40:00 PM

Title: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: babycakes on January 02, 2013, 04:40:00 PM
hi all, just wondered, is it ok to take the above with a diagnosis of sjogrens?.

I have very stiff and painful joints, plaquinil and diclofenac works but i am concerned about having to rely on the latter for pain relief long term.

I've tried celebrex which did nothing but would like to hear of any experiences of the above, should i take just glaucosamine on its own?? Is it safe etc??

Would really appreciate some advice:-)

Annie x
Title: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: Joy on January 02, 2013, 04:57:59 PM
I take Glucosamine with Chondroitin for joint pain. I find that when I stop it my joints start to hurt more than normal. So I think it works. I don't take plaquenil as I was allergic to it, but look forward to hearing the advice from others.
Title: Re: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: gold55 on January 02, 2013, 07:54:09 PM
I take Joint Juice shots....it has Vit C, D and Glucosamine plus Hyaloric Acid (sp?).  I think it has helped and I've been taking it for quite some time.
Title: Re: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: slccom on January 02, 2013, 08:12:48 PM
Glucosamine/Chondroitin work well for me. It doesn't do anything for my husband. You just have to try it and see.

I've been on diclofenac for 20 years. No big deal. However, as always, consult your doctor!

Sharon
Title: Re: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: babycakes on January 03, 2013, 06:10:55 AM
Hi all

Thanks for your help, I think I'll give it a go, im seeing my doc next week and mention it all when I see him.

Annie x

Title: Re: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: Tivia on January 03, 2013, 09:40:37 AM
I know its been used for arthritic pain and inflammation for a long time. The thing is you have to stay on it, I remember we used to prescribe Flexamin for pets with arthritis and it worked, just had to keep them on it.
Title: Re: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: eyeamdry on January 03, 2013, 06:03:52 PM
My GP told me to take that years ago, maybe 20.  I began to have problems with my knees and this did help.  Eventually, arthritis (osteo they say) wore both knee joints away and I had a partial knee 11 years ago, which needs to be replaced with a full, but can wait.  I had a full knee replacement on the other knee one year ago.  I doubt there is any point of me taking this now as I think all my joints are dust.  It sure wouldn't help the plastic and metal I have in me now.

I do have my daughter taking this as she has hit 40 and I am sorry to think she may have the same knee problems I do.  I am the only one in my family and I had two sisters and you'd think they may have it, but do not.  Lucy
Title: Re: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: slccom on January 03, 2013, 11:12:00 PM
Sometimes you just don't want to be the lucky one! Lucy, you still have hips and ankles and other joints; you might want to stay on it.

Sharon
Title: Re: glaucosine and chondroitin??
Post by: Aquarius on January 04, 2013, 08:37:04 AM
I need to use G&C specifically for the joints in my hands and wrist.   Anyone know of an effective brand name of a G&C cream for topical application?