Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: brooklyntina on December 05, 2012, 01:50:19 PM

Title: soy/gluten
Post by: brooklyntina on December 05, 2012, 01:50:19 PM
Hi guys,

I started getting really sick around the time that I went vegetarian. My husband insists it is because I need meat to be healthy but I'm convinced I just overdosed on soy. I believe all soy contains gluten but I'm not positive. Has anyone else noticed a sensitivity? Anyway, food for thought. Ha! I'm full of puns today!

::)
Title: Re: soy/gluten
Post by: Sleepy In Seattle on December 05, 2012, 02:31:03 PM
Many people with autoimmune issues are sensitive to soy, so yes - that could definitely be causing problems!

Gluten sensitivities are also common, as well as cow dairy (sheep and goat are usually fine).

As far as I know, they two problems are not related, other than the fact that so many of us have both.

Try changing what you eat and see how you feel!

I have to be gluten and dairy-free, and 99% soy-free...otherwise, I flare. I feel best when grains (any kind, even gluten-free) make up 10% or less of my food intake. Given those restrictions, I find it very difficult to get good nutrition on a vegetarian diet. But I do try to buy only organic, free-range, sustainable eggs and meats (mostly locally produced) - it's expensive and I eat less meat/dairy than I would otherwise, but it's worth it to me both health-wise and ethically.
Title: Re: soy/gluten
Post by: jazzlover on December 05, 2012, 04:13:38 PM
Soy is not good. Not the soy that is marketed today.

read this:

http://dogtorj.com/what-is-food-intolerance/the-history-of-the-big-4/

he has another article titled "The Battle of Helm's Deep" .. but I was too lazy to find it. (neck pain actually!)
Title: Re: soy/gluten
Post by: Carebear on December 05, 2012, 04:16:03 PM
The only connection between soy and gluten that I know of, is that most Celiacs cannot tolerate soy (and gluten, of course).  I'm one of them.  But soy however does not contain gluten.
Title: Re: soy/gluten
Post by: Scottietottie on December 05, 2012, 04:31:01 PM
Soy is not good for hypothyroidism. I don't know why but I know it made a lot of people in the thyroid forum feel ill. I think it blocks the conversion of the thyroid meds to T3 which is what the body needs.
Title: Re: soy/gluten
Post by: jazzlover on December 05, 2012, 06:50:46 PM
The worst offenders are corn, soy, casein (dairy) and gluten. They can bind the gut.
Title: Re: soy/gluten
Post by: Skylar on December 06, 2012, 06:30:57 AM
Quote from: brooklyntina on December 05, 2012, 01:50:19 PM
Hi guys,

I started getting really sick around the time that I went vegetarian. My husband insists it is because I need meat to be healthy but I'm convinced I just overdosed on soy. I believe all soy contains gluten but I'm not positive. Has anyone else noticed a sensitivity? Anyway, food for thought. Ha! I'm full of puns today!

::)
I have celiacs disease so I must avoid gluten, but I seem to do fine with soy even though I have Hashimotos. The soy bean itself does not have gluten - but soy sauce and products containing soy sauce (eg hoisin sauce) do as soy sauce is made using soy beans and wheat traditionally. Foods like soy based burgers usually include wheat/gluten probably to help bind the beans into a burger shape. Instead of soy sauce, I purchase gluten free Tamari sauce... there are other choices such as coconut aminos etc for those allergic or intolerant to soy and gluten but want that salty, umami flavor in their food.

I'm also vegetarian and do not eat any meat or dairy products. I rarely eat soy beans or beans/legumes - getting enough protein is never a problem. If you eat sufficient calories, you should get more than enough protein. You can also run your diet through free nutritional software such as CRON-O-Meter or Fitday. I believe most or all these programs are based on data from the USDA. If you are seriously concerned, ask your PCP to test your levels. My PCP has tested mine over the years and I'm always within normal limits. Protein is in everything from iceberg lettuce to potatoes to nuts.