Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: iraisin on August 01, 2012, 06:44:47 PM

Title: how much water should we drink a day?
Post by: iraisin on August 01, 2012, 06:44:47 PM
I know we are supposed to drink like a gallon a day. But do sjogren's folk need to drink more? If so, what is recommended?
Title: Re: how much water should we drink a day?
Post by: Winnie on August 01, 2012, 07:45:43 PM
I told my gastro that I was drinking 120 ounces a day and he acted like that wasn't enough since I still am constipated.   :o

Winnie  :)

I
Title: Re: how much water should we drink a day?
Post by: susanep on August 01, 2012, 08:13:50 PM
I would be doing good to drink that much.

susanep :)
Title: Re: how much water should we drink a day?
Post by: Nancy60 on August 01, 2012, 08:26:24 PM
I actually asked my Rheumy that several years ago and she told me to drink what ever I needed to be able to tolerate the dry mouth, but as far as actual amount it is the same as for people without Sjogrens (6-8  8 oz glasses a day)  She said the problem with sjogren's isn't that we don't have enough water, it is that our glands don't work or don't work as well, more water won't help that. 

She also said if I am dehydrated because I don't drink the 6-8 glasses/day, that my dry mouth will be worse.

At least I know I don't have to drown myself in water, but I do try to do the recommended amount.


You can actually develop serious electrolyte imbalance from drinking too much water which can cause real harm and even death, so don't overdo it either.  I am not sure of the amount that would be too much though.  Just wanted to caution people if they are tempted to go way overboard.

Nancy
Title: Re: how much water should we drink a day?
Post by: matildamillicent on August 01, 2012, 09:16:05 PM
I drink at least a gallon a day. I have a big drink bottle that's about half a gallon and fill it up twice. Plus then I'll have a glass of water to take my meds etc. I think as long as you feel ok and are drinking water, then it's ok.