Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Tinker on July 30, 2012, 09:17:24 PM

Title: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Tinker on July 30, 2012, 09:17:24 PM
What a terrible mess I'm in.  My 4 front teeth were looking pretty bad.  I've got thousands invested in my mouth and when a silver filling in the front turned the tooth gray, I just couldn't bear it.  The other front teeth weren't looking pristene so after 6 mos of thinking about it, I decided to go ahead and get 4 crowns.  Scared to death they wouldn't look right.  And they were a disaster.

The procedure was ok...no pain.  Good dentist I've used for many yrs. Previous crowns were a-ok.

But I wasn't so sure about the color....they didn't match the tooth nearby even though the dentist gave the tech the exact color.  The tech made them yellowish at the top.  Theyllook just awful.  I didn't like them when I first looked at them, and the dentist held them in place while I was in the chair and told me the color was right on.  I had a small hand mirror to look at them and make a quick decision.  He told me they were right.  I reluctantly went along.  When I stood up and looked in the mirror, I said they look "bucky" and too long.

So, basically, after I got home I discover the color in natural light is for sure NOT the one I picked out, they are too long (I found my bleaching tray and it proves that I did not have bugs bunny teeth b4 this,) and I now have a LISP.

And this is costing me $5800.  He's agreed to redo, but he has to GRIND them off. HORRORS!   He knew I wasn't crazy about the color or length (which he said he could fix) but with the lisp and color (he can't fix), I have to have this all redone.

I know he's ready to kill me, but I had no idea I couldn't change anything.

NOTE:  if you guys get crowns get them glued in with temporary cement until you can decide if there are problems.  WISH I'D KNOWN.  I READ IT ON THE INTERNET.

Boohoo.  I love my dentist but not sure he will love me after this.  And if this doesn't come out right, I'll have to find another dentist and spend another $5800.  And there's always the possibility of damage to the existing pegs which might require root canals.  (read that on the internet....he didn't tell me)
The lab tech appears to have the mistakes....not my dentist.  color, length, lisp, slanting upwards, and I'm buck toothed now.  NO!

If I had this to do over, I'd have him make impressions BEFORE he ground up my real teeth.  From what I read, this isn't done normally.
I can't imagine why not cause how is the dental tech supposed to know how my teeth looked?  I'm posting this to help any of you going through this and now you will know to get impressions before, get temp.cement of new crowns, and don't accept them before you let the dentist cement this babies.Keep the temporaries until they remake the crowns.

This is devastating to me.  The dentist sent me a formal email which makes me nervous. Covering his you know what, I guess.

Anybody have any advice for this debacle?   Thanks.
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: eyeamdry on July 30, 2012, 10:47:01 PM
Tinker, I have a similar story.  Mine happened a long time ago and I hadn't heard of Sjogrens then, but I'd had bad teeth even as a child.  By the time I was 21, I had root canals on 3 of my 4 front teeth as they were all absessed at the same time.  I was about ready to die from pain by the time he drilled a hole in them.  Then he waited and they were not capped at that time, just the root canal.

Well you know after time, the teeth took on that grey/blackish look.  It really detracted from my looks. Worst still, the teeth kept chipping off and finally I had no tooth much to hold a filling.  My dentist and I talked about getting porcelain crowns.  We took out a loan for $600 and made payments for some time to pay the work off.  Back about 30 years ago, that was a lot of money to us and we were buying a house, had a little one and car payments. etc.

I went in after work one day and the dentist placed the caps on my front teeth and cemented them in.  DUMB.  He gave me a hand mirror and I thought they looked ok.  Well, on the way home, I kept looking in the rear view mirrow and was bawling so bad I couldn't see to drive.  I was livid.  My teeth were LONG, like yours and my lip caught on the teeth they were of such wrong size.  I stopped my check to the dentist the minute I got home.
I don't know if I left a voicemail message or called him (prob both) in the a.m.  I chewed him out and said that he wasn't getting paid and the teeth were UGLY. He agreed to redo them at no cost but was adamant that he would not do anything more.  Well, dumb doc, I don't really like getting drilled to the root and all that stuff.  He grilled them all the way down and put on temporary caps.  Later, he put on the crowns with temporary glue.

I was happy with the replacements and he did a good job.  That's what he should have done in the first place.
Lucy
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Tinker on July 31, 2012, 09:07:39 AM
Lucy,
Thanks for your reply.  So sorry you had such a terrible time with your teeth.  I started having problems in my 30's, so I was lucky.

We didn't have dental insurance so I never got my teeth cleaned or had a visit.  couldln't afford it with 2 kids and no husband.   divorced
Well,  I have written a letter to respond to the drs. letter.....everything is still pleasant and I hope it stays that way.  I cried too.  '
I can't talk without a lisp and that is just terrible.  I look drastically different in my eyes, and the bugs bunny teeth are horrific.

I know it sounds funny but if it's your teeth, it ain't funny.  And the cost!  At least he is doing it for free but I'll bet he dumps me after this.  And I guess I'll have to find a new dentist. 

I'm sorry you had such problems,but it makes me feel better that there is someone else who understands.   I have dental insurance now and have been taking very good care of my teeth for the last 25 yrs.   the insurance just came due at $548/yr.  I paid it but I am considering letting this insurance go and just paying for the work.  There is a $75 deductible every yr, and most of my teeth are already crowned except the bottom front row and they look healthy. 

I don't think I'm having any more crowns after this.  If my smile isn't perfect, that's too bad.  Never again unless I'm in pain.

Just remember you guys: HAVE NEW CROWNS CEMENTED WITH TEMPORARY GLUE SO YOU CAN LOOK AT THEM FOR A FEW DAYS.  And , also, insist on AN IMPRESSION mold to be made of your teeth BEFORE the dentist grinds them away.  Thank God I had my bleaching forms.  Otherwise, he told me I was mistaken and my teeth really were that long.  I've got the form to prove the siZe and length of my teeth.  !!!

My nerves are shot.  I just hope everything stays semi-pleasant so we can get through this.  I hope this info helps any of you if you are looking at crowns, especially in the front. 

Anyone else have a story to share or have inside knowledge of what should be done?

Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Bucky on July 31, 2012, 06:20:37 PM
Tinker - I'm sorry to read your story of dental woes.   :(

When I've had dental work done where they are trying to "match" teeth color - the dentist has gone over to the window in "natural" light to check things as I think there is a difference in color under florescent lighting. 

I remember like yesterday my only experience with a crown.  The assistant puts the cement on the crown and pushes it in.  Oh - my - gosh, the pain!!  My teeth are temperature sensitive and the cement was cold . . . instant headache!  Sends chills up my back just typing this.  Okay, Bucky . . . breathe . . . breathe . . . breathe.   ;)

I hope you won't have to pay any more for the remade crowns and the dentist visit.  Sorry you have to endure all this.

Bucky
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: eyeamdry on July 31, 2012, 07:09:59 PM
Tinker, our stories are so similar it's actually (almost) funny.  The important part is that both dentists did fix the problem.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have an insurance for stuff like that.  I don't know, but something like malpractice insurance, but "screw-up by dentist insurance.  I have a feeling both drs knew they had done less than a good job or it would have been argued more by the dentists.  Since I thought my teeth looked so Bugs Bunny and long, I didn't feel bad at all.  Didn't he ever get in front of me and look at me straight like any other person would see me?  I don't know.

I have dental insurance with my retirement insurance.  It's not too good, but most of my life not having dental insurance, I wouldn't be without it now.  I hope you will reconsider keeping your dental insurance!  Maybe you can pay on a monthly plan, or semi-annially.  $500+ is only $50 a month.  If you are like me, just because you have crowns and caps, doesn't mean they never fall off or out.  Or just crack after so many years (like 10 years).  Having my insurance means I get my teeth cleaned on schedule and most things, cavities, crown work etc anything within reason is usually covered.  If you have a lot of crownwork done, often the dentist can spread the cost over a couple of years for insurance.  It is easier now to keep the ins, rather than drop it now and regret doing that and trying to pick it up later. Smile--after you get your new crowns in.  lol.  Lucy
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Tinker on July 31, 2012, 08:08:05 PM
Hi Bucky and Lucy,
Bucky, you only have one crown?  You must have great teeth or you're young.  lol  Ouch, I can imagine how painful that was.  SMart dentist to go to natural light to compare color.

Lucy, I hope my dentist does have "screw up" insurance.  lol  I've gotta realize that this guy really was to blame for the buck teeth, and the lisp.  He had to know that this wsn't cool.   

I went to the mall today and had to apologize to the clerk in a store because I couldn't speak well.  (lisping)  She said she had been a dental asst. for 12 yrs. in ny and she explained that her dentist always did a mold of the front teeth before he grinded them away.  I came home and researched it again, and some sites say yes and some say no.

But if you think about it, how in the heck would a DT be able to replicate my teeth with no picture or mold.  ??? 

I have no reason to believe that these new crowns will be any better than the ones I have.  My dentist is telling me that he did everything right.  But, ????  It's easy to blame it on the patient.   geesh, I get too nervous...I 'm too sensitive and a worry wart. 

Lucy, you are prob. right about the insur.  I'm paid up for another yr. 
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Bucky on August 01, 2012, 02:54:30 PM
Quote from: Tinker on July 31, 2012, 08:08:05 PM
Bucky, you only have one crown?  You must have great teeth or you're young.

Let's just say, now, I don't have to worry about crowns as my teeth get to take a nightly soak in a special cup.   ;)

I WISH I was young . . . . nah, I really don't.  Maybe 10 yrs. younger would be good.   :D

Bucky
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Tinker on August 01, 2012, 03:14:44 PM
Bucky, I see, my friend.  I thought my best yrs. were in my '30's....looked good, had good life experience and felt enllightened, and could control my own destiny. 

But would I go back?  no.  I don't want to go through all the bad stuff again.  lol
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Gayle on August 01, 2012, 05:31:55 PM
I have 9 caps. I was hit in the mouth by a softball and it cracked the roots of 5 of my front top teeth. And then there are the others. I also have two teeth that broke but my dentist 'rebuilt' them. I love him.... I have not had problems with getting the caps but I don't numb easy and once I had to be taken to the hosp as I could not sit up out of the chair without my BP dropping so low I would pass out.

We are an interesting bunch aren't we?

Gayle
Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: susanep on August 01, 2012, 08:25:07 PM
I am right in there with Bucky. Nightly soak, and good to go.  ;D   There did you see my smile?

I had so much pain, I have never regretted it either.
Sorry you folks have had such negative experiences.

susanep :)

Title: Re: Dental woes after 4 crowns
Post by: Tinker on August 01, 2012, 08:38:39 PM
Gayle,
Before I posted this topic I did a search and your story came up. What a horrific accident.  So sorry you had that much damage. Glad you have a wonderful dentist.

You know, I've had time to think about this (actually, it's hard not to think about it) and I AM PAYING $5800 for these teeth.  I should be pleased and they should look presentable.

The dentist tells me if he cuts off the bottoms of the rabbit teeth, I will have the boxy "chicklet" looking teeth.  So, in the next paragraph, he says to come in, he'll cut off the bottoms , and make an impression for the next set of crowns. Does that make sense?  I'm almost assured of another set of crowns I don't like.

UMMM, why would I want another set of these crowns ?  I didn't mention that they aren't smooth ....they have pits in them.  all 4.  It's a lot of money to spend for teeth that make me ashamed to smile. 

I go in on Mon. for this appt., but I have to call and talk to him about this.  I'm so worried about upsetting him, getting a bad set of teeth, and spending another $ 6,000 that I don't have.  Then there's the chance I have to get root canals. 

What a nightmare.  I'll be glad when this is over. Thanks to you guys for your stories and comments. 

Thanks Susan  for your reply.   I see you smile and sure wish I had one on my face.