...mean no white rice too? I eat a lot of white rice cooked at Japanese steakhouse that a friend manages...should I quit with the white rice to help? It would be great if I could find a list of things I should and should not eat...also what i should and should not juice as well...thanks!
Hi Shawn,
Going gluten free, would be avoiding, wheat, rye,oats, barley and related grainss likekamut, spelt, farro, and tricale. Grains that contain no glute, are corn, rice, millet.
If you want to go grain free, you would avoid all of the above. As far as the benifits, it is very individual. I personally was very confused after my diagnosis and went to a natural doctor and had some food allergy testing done and uncovered my personal food sensitivities/ allergies and now avoid my problem foods which includes avoiding gluten, but not all grains. Gluten free has helped me with my energy for sure.
Awesome insight...thanks Jelly!
Rice is definitely ok, as is quinoa. But if you're trying to avoid gluten strictly, the problem with restaurants is cross-contamination. The menu item may not contain gluten, but it is prepared on the same surface as other foods that do contain gluten which contaminates them. Soysauce and teriyaki both contain gluten, so be careful about the sauces too!
We do not eat at restaurants anymore. There is one deli in my city that is allergen friendly - all of its menu items are gluten free, and it is a dedicated gluten-free deli and bakery so that's the only place we go (both of my daughters have celiac disease so we have to be extremely cautious about gluten).