Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: valene2009 on January 19, 2012, 07:41:42 PM

Title: can melatonin make eyes drier?
Post by: valene2009 on January 19, 2012, 07:41:42 PM
i began taking melatonin again this past week and my eyes seem drier. of course it could be just from a sjogrens flare.. i was curious if anyone on here has taken melatonin and gotten drier eyes or mouth from it the next day?
ty
Title: Re: can melatonin make eyes drier?
Post by: Jellyb on January 19, 2012, 07:57:54 PM
Hi there,
I took melatonin a while back and did not notice dryer eyes, but it did give me terrible strange dreams/nightmares. My eyes alwys seemed a bit puffy then, so maybe the melatonin was makng them somewhat dryer. Anyway I stopped taking it, hopefully someone will post more helpful information for you.
Title: Re: can melatonin make eyes drier?
Post by: gurs on January 20, 2012, 04:15:02 AM
I find that almost everything I take causes more dryness of my eyes..You have to be very careful of supplements.
People think because they are natural, they dont have any side effects. I know Ive tried so many...feverfew, gingko,,,all dry me out.
I think its more the herbs that cause most of the added dryness...amino acids and oils are usually ok.

Not sure where your located, but the colder weather really adds to the dryness as we all know.
Its only 5 degree's here in michigan this morning...yikeees.

Gursie
Title: Re: can melatonin make eyes drier?
Post by: Madison Granny on January 20, 2012, 08:07:40 AM
I took melatonin some years back and I experienced drier eyes.  It also didn't last very long.  Had to get up and take somemore.  I think my brain fights sleep medicine.  It sure did Ambien.  I would sleep for 45 minutes to 1 hour and then be awake the rest of the night.