I've noticed in the last few months that I'm eating less than I used to. Don't feel as hungry as I used to. If my rheumy decides to put me on plaquinel next month, is this going to change? I really don't want to start eating more.
Check out your current meds to see if any have the possible side effect of loss of appetite. I had a med one time (think an antibiotic) that did that to me. Dr about had a fit as my iron really dropped. But 2 weeks off the medicine and it was up considerably.
I did not hit over 100 lbs until after college and I am 5 ft tall. I'm age 54 now and try to keep my wt 110-115 as dr wants but I do get close to 100 at times. Most of the time, I am just plain not hungry. To maintain weight at times, for me it has been getting myself to eat even when I am not hungry at regular intervals. To me seems like a waste of food to eat when I am not hungry but I have to do it.
So I know how you feel about not being hungry. I've been this way a loooong time though and I don't think it is SJS related. Just the way I am. But be sure to check out those meds. OK?
Hi Nara,
I haven't had a "healthy appetite" since Sjogrens really reared it's ugly head a year and a half ago. I went from 5'7" and muscular 138 lbs to 122 lbs and kind of skinny. During the 3 months I was on a Plaquenil trial, I ate even less because I had daily stomach problems while on it. I hope yuou do a lot better than me - I got no relief and even seemed worse. But my body chemistry is often very different from the general population.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!!
KellyG
I lost 15 pounds sinse june. That was when i was diagnosed and started Plaquinel. I changed my eating habits then also. My taste buds are messed up and most sweet foods taste nasty. Salty makes soars. So I think that may be it and not the meds. EIther way, I lost that it and was able to keep it off. And I didnt go on any other meds till just last month. So, that was not it either.
Luna
I'm sorry that you are going through this. Since 2009 I've battled keeping my weight on. I fell below 100 lbs now I am between 128 to 132 lbs. It has caused me to have anxiety. I don't sleep well and have trouble breathing, and my jaw hurts. It could be due to Sjogren's and medications, not really sure. but tonite I am throwing caution to the wind drinking coffee and eating junk food. Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas...
This may be my imagination but Plaquenil appears to play with my blood sugar, I go hypo very very easily - usually in the morning, I take my pill in the evening. I am not diabetic but since being on Plaquenil I struggle to keep my blood sugar up and I have lost a bit of weight as well.
But I dont know if it actually is documented as affecting blood sugar.
I'm the opposite....I've gained 5 pounds since starting Plaquenil, maybe more after the last few days of Christmas goodies! I don't think it's because of the drug. I just haven't been in the mood to diet in the past few months and I've always had a weight problem.
I know the Tramadol can affect appetite but this started well after I began Tramadol.
Actually, it started after I got sick on our cruise back in March. EVERYTHING changed then, now that I think about it.
Foods that I used to crave didn't appeal to me anymore. Sweets, which used to cause nausea, now tasted wonderful. I hadn't eaten sweets in YEARS!
I can't get enough liquid, mainly this cherry pomegranate soda from Target. (I know the issue with the sweetener but that's a non-issue right now.)
Yes, I've had my blood sugar checked. My hbA1c was 5.2 and my b.s. was 80. Salads were my life and now I can't tolerate any kind of dressing.
About the only flavor that hasn't changed is potatoes - of any kind.
It's so weird but not radical scary.