Hi all,
justwanted to share some info and life changes that have helped me and i have paid out of pocket to find...
seeing a holistic dr. inaddtion to my rhumey. found out that " all autoimmune patients need to be gluten free, dairy free, sugar free" now in looking stuff up on web i =see some promote only gluten free.
with that said i had igg and ige tests run and found out i am indeed gluten sensitve. by cutting out gluten have no more of those ibe pains in my stomach.... dealth with ibs for 30 years....
all i know is that when i went gluten dairy and sugar free, i lost 20 plus lbs, my high cholesteraol taht i could never get into range despite excerise, eating right etc, came back into range in two months , i have enrgy... my inflamation from sjs and ra totally disappered.....
i still stay on my ra meds.... too risky to quit and then find out later the meds would no longer work for me but i have found i am much healthier and bdtter off... yes it is hard, costly and you have to give up alot of comfort food but not having pain in my belly everyday is NICE
from researching i find most autoimmune folks have gut isses as well. this too needs to be addressed.
also we are vitaine defincient in many areas and normal multivitamins dont cut it.
i am workign with holisitc doctors so im not doing this on my own buyt i just want to share in case someone is interested and that i may help someone lese out there.
God bless
lori
Hi Lori,
After my diagnosis in Feb. I saw a natural doctor that did a whole bunch of tests and a digestive profile ect. And found out uncovered my food allergies as well as vitqmin deficiecies and I have been gluten free and avoiding my trigger foods and feel so much better
I agree with you and others on this site that diet is such a huge part of treating our conditions.
I am gluten, dairy and sugar free. No fruit either. I'm not taking anything for the SJS. I do take turmeric and glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM daily.
diets aren't too popular around here... LOL :P
I hear what you're saying, but if I eliminated sugar and gluten and dairy, I'd starve. :P
I am a vegetarian, so I eat rice, wheat, yogurt, tofu and fruit every day. I also enjoy candy and cookies, and I don't think I am any worse for the wear, as they say. But whatever works for others - I say go for it. It sure can't hurt to try!!
KellyG
Oh Gosh. No Chocolate!!! I could not stand that. :o It is my one good vice.
I was the Queen of Bread and Cheese!
I have been deposed from my throne. :(
Today I am baking Perfect Loaves of wheat bread stuffed with pesto, salami, and provolone.
I will offer them at a holiday party, where folks expect that to be my contribution.
I will not eat any. I will try not to feel as if I am poisoning my friends. ???
When I go down the baking aisle in the grocery store, I start feel like I am in the Poison Aisle.
I am learning to bake gluten free stuff.
Hoping that by this time next year, I will make gluten free bread.
Giving up dairy is much more difficult, since I do not eat meat or poultry.
Anyone noticed a better result with goat cheese than cow cheese?
I imagine that the goat milk stuff is inflammatory to joints, but may be easier to digest.
Peace,
beth
Now this information is very informative. Last year I went onto the Tony Ferguson diet (I'm in the UK, it is so far as I am aware available in the UK, South Africa, Australia)
Essentially the diet is also gluten free, I went carb free and dairy free by choice. I lost 32lbs and felt more energetic. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon and put my weight back on and as a consequence have no energy. I am determined to go back on the diet programme in january because I felt so much better.
very interesting.
This is very interesting. I have been doing the new Atkins plan for a couple of months. I've lost 10 lbs, but the best thing is, since being on very low carbs, I don't get the gut/bowel pain that used to cripple me.
Kathyx
Jazzlover and others,
Do you mind me asking how much MSM you take? Did your dr. recommend it or did you just research it and make the decision? thanks!
I think my dr recommended it .. I've taken it about 10 yrs or more. I take a combo formula from Vitacost that is 1,500 mg of Glucosamine, 1,200 mg of chondroitin and 1,000 mg of MSM. I think you can take at least 4,000 mg of MSM per day. I may up mine. ( just add MSM to the combo)
I take two pills in the a.m. and two in the p.m. I also take curcumin (turmeric) twice a day.