Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: valene2009 on December 21, 2011, 07:55:39 PM

Title: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: valene2009 on December 21, 2011, 07:55:39 PM
i keep saying i will stop until xmas eve but omg.. almost everyday im having some cookies, candy.. lol... i had a bad flare yest- but i seriously think it was more from stress than sugar.... i have eaten no sweets-no processed food for months and still had flares... so not sure if sugar always causes a flare.. guess im just feeling guilty and hoping i wont get sick before xmas... lol
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Autoimmunity on December 21, 2011, 08:36:52 PM
UNFORTUNATELY!!!   :o  I am a sugar (candy) addict anyway and am going through the worst stress of my life.  So I think mine is a combo of time of year combined with stress eating.   :P
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: valene2009 on December 22, 2011, 05:49:38 AM
i love sugar too--like you-just candy mostly and cookies at times..sweets... i can eat so healthy otherwise.... like ive said ive gone through bouts of eatng bad and feeling good and eating bad and getting flares.. then i have gotten flares when ive eaten no sugar for months..go figure.. i do think stress plays a big role..

tis the season..:)
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: gold55 on December 22, 2011, 06:09:54 AM
what about PIE!!!  I've been eating tons of apple pie!!! :(
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: mshistory on December 22, 2011, 06:17:59 AM
Me! It just seems rude NOT to eat the yummy holiday cookies our wonderful neighbors bring...right!?  ;)
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: arina83 on December 22, 2011, 06:36:20 AM
We made cookies and had a lot of frosting left over. Gave cookies to our neighbor and have been eating frosting! Going to put it in the freezer......
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: valene2009 on December 22, 2011, 07:40:15 AM
Pie! yes!  I ate chocolate and pumpkin on thanksgiving and after... :)))) so you gals notice an increase in flares from the food?  I am beginning to think food doesnt' affect me as much as stress.. just curious!@!
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: jazzlover on December 22, 2011, 07:59:44 AM
NOPE. I pay too severely if I have even one bite of sugar.
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: A66eyroad on December 22, 2011, 08:04:05 AM
One of my co-workers has a bowl on her desk in which she keeps chocolate kisses. Right now she's got something new for the holidays: Kisses made of white chocolate with chips of peppermint sticks in them!  Deeeee-licious!

I can take one and get my candy fix for the day without going hog-wild! (pun intended)
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Joe S. on December 22, 2011, 08:17:23 AM
I used to keep a candy dish on my desk as an experiment. When people stopped by, we could visit. I would make suggestions to management and others to see positive changes take place in the work force. At King Video it worked like a charm and a lot of improvements were made through out the company. When I did it with USWest minor changes were made in my department. I called the technique, "Management from the bottom up".
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: A66eyroad on December 22, 2011, 08:21:58 AM
Joe, you are one of the smartest guys I know! That's a great idea!
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Cricket on December 22, 2011, 08:29:59 AM
Yes Joe you are something else!  :)
I mean that in a good way.
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: KellyG999 on December 22, 2011, 08:42:15 AM
I keep a candy dish on my desk at all times. As Joe said, it actually works well in a number of ways: It brings people in to say hello, makes them happy and therefore, more agreeable, and it GETS ME through a stressful day! I think chocolate is the greatest thing. I don't feel guilty, either!

My son and I have a Christmas tradition of baking sugar cookies and decorating with yummy frosting, colored sugars, etc. Can't wait!!

KellyG

Yes, I realize I am a bad example. But I eat well otherwise - vegetarian eating fruit, rice, tofu and veggies!
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Scottietottie on December 22, 2011, 09:16:06 AM
Hi  :)

Cookies and candy are definitely a US thing - not a UK one. When my DIL was over she was really confused by the lack of cookies and promptly set in to baking some.

Chocolate is a favourite last minute Christmas gift but not to be consumed until Christmas day at the earliest.

Wishing you a flare free festive season

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: WildThing on December 22, 2011, 09:39:02 AM
I donlt know if this counts but I am stuffing my face with rice pudding nadf it's making my chest really bad but I can't stop eating it.  I get evil if I don't have any! 

somebody stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: valene2009 on December 22, 2011, 12:08:02 PM
I have a question for Jazzlover-do you flare up if you have sugar-does it lead to more dryness?  Can you eat fruit? 
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Carolina on December 22, 2011, 02:08:16 PM
One of the advantages of retirement is the lack of temptation laid on at the 'office'.

And of course, I don't bake or buy the stuff for the house.

However, tomorrow we go into Cookie and Candy Land.

My husband's family has a tradition of a certain candy, and everyone bakes and bakes.

So it will be everywhere.

I want to take some shrimp for shrimp cocktail, and maybe a veggie platter.   We can buy them on the way out of town.

I really want to downplay the food part, as I'm seriously losing weight this time around.

Foods don't affect my mood or general sense of well being, just my weight!

Merry Merry Happy Happy

Hugs

Elaine
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: gurs on December 22, 2011, 03:05:40 PM
Sugar is a known inflammatory, and for those with severe yeast issues, not good. But, it seems to calm me down a bit. When you start eating it, your body just wants more. I know when I dont have it for awhile, i never crave it..very addicting indeed! I got into the xmas
cookies last week and paid the price..my tummy was so bloated and gassy/yeast related im sure..

See how your body feels after a few days..if you start feeling bad, would def stop eating it.

Also, make sure you take your probiotics.

Gursie
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: valene2009 on December 22, 2011, 04:12:24 PM
so i guess if im not having stomach issues after i eat it maybe it doesnt affect me too much?  i just wondered if it made my eyes drier.. most of the time they just get very dry whenever they feel like it!!! ahhhh
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: 4Kids on December 22, 2011, 05:22:09 PM
Embarrassed to say I am having about 3 nibbles a day. That is more than I have had in a year and it is not good. I feel fine, tired of course, but tis the season.

I love to bake and will likely pay for this next week. Feel free to tease me if I complain about a flare.  Weirdly enough I am dryer without Salagen and more moist with it while eating sweets on this streak. :o
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: jazzlover on December 22, 2011, 06:46:40 PM
Quote from: Scottietottie on December 22, 2011, 09:16:06 AM
Hi  :)

Cookies and candy are definitely a US thing - not a UK one. When my DIL was over she was really confused by the lack of cookies and promptly set in to baking some.

Chocolate is a favourite last minute Christmas gift but not to be consumed until Christmas day at the earliest.

Wishing you a flare free festive season

Take care - Scottie  :)

-
yep .. that is why so many Americans are so fat!! I'm sure YOU weren't going to say that so I did!! ;) ;D
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: jazzlover on December 22, 2011, 06:47:41 PM
Quote from: valene2009 on December 22, 2011, 12:08:02 PM
I have a question for Jazzlover-do you flare up if you have sugar-does it lead to more dryness?  Can you eat fruit?
-
I have candida really bad. Can't get rid of it. I can't eat fruit either now.
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Joe S. on December 22, 2011, 08:28:29 PM
kill your candida with tones: http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#324.
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: valene2009 on December 22, 2011, 08:32:38 PM
thanks Jazzlover... I didnt mean to intrude.  (hope i didnt!) i guessi just so often wonder if the sugar makes me drier in the eyes... ahhh..  my new years resolution is after i go to my new rheumy in Jan to make an apt with a naturopath md... if i want to try a strict diet i need a doc's guidance and food testing would be good too.

for now i will enjoy my sweets...
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Autoimmunity on December 22, 2011, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Scottietottie on December 22, 2011, 09:16:06 AM
Hi  :)

Cookies and candy are definitely a US thing - not a UK one. When my DIL was over she was really confused by the lack of cookies and promptly set in to baking some.

Chocolate is a favourite last minute Christmas gift but not to be consumed until Christmas day at the earliest.

Wishing you a flare free festive season

Take care - Scottie  :)

I can do without cookies, but if I buy chocolate, I cannot control myself and it is GONE!  I try to save it for the day, it never makes it  :-\
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: irish on December 22, 2011, 10:03:04 PM
I haven't even baked any cookies this year but after 2 years of being a good diabetic I fell off the wagon. I am eating more than I should and I am snitching M&M's and taking bigger portions of my snack of Cheetos.

I have had a very low AIC so I have been cheating. The other thing is that I think the plaquenil is keeping my blood sugar down and I am hungry and eating more. This has got to come to a screaching halt as I have gained about 6 pounds and that is not good.

At the same time, darn, we have all lost so much joy in our lives that snitching now and again is really a big pleasure for us. Irish ;D
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: LizPetillo on December 23, 2011, 03:53:38 AM
There is NO WAY I'd go near cookies or candy.  Not a chance!  It's just begging for a flare and begging to get hit with thrush.  Nope.  No way.  Not unless I"m miraculously cured someday  ... then watch me hit the fudge! 
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: gurs on December 24, 2011, 03:48:49 AM
I wish I had your willpower Liz.....

A good suggestion . I dont bake, my mom made about 7 different kinds of cookies, and i just take a nibble off of each of them, rather than
eat an entire cookie..love this!!!

We gave all the cookies away, but I want more now!!!  My tummy really started up though. Darn yeast Im guessing!

If sugar is an inflammatory, sure it can cause dryness. Also, if your drier, might be some of the other ingredients in the cookies. Im very
careful since I have so many allergies..the soy, gluten, and tons of other other things might be contributing to the added dryness.

The weather changing not fun either...this cold/snow def not helping either.

Gursie
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Joe S. on December 24, 2011, 08:15:26 AM
Mom used to make divinity, caramels, chocolate covered cherries, Lady fingers, Velveeta fudge, krumb kaka, Lefsa, Toffe, monkey bread, Cinnamon Rolls, Ice box cookies.  Hard candies, candy canes and other sweets were also available but not homemade. Until you brought it up I never thought about all the sweets at Christmas.
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Jorja on December 24, 2011, 12:04:01 PM
Do peanut butter balls, peanut brittle, chocolate dipped pretzels, brownies, miniature banana nut bread, pecan pie tarts, caramel corn, two regular size pecan pies, a 14 layer cake with Chocolate Fudge Icing count?  I had some of all of them.  I figured if we baked it, I had to have a little or maybe a lot.  My biggest culprit was the pecan pie tarts.  Yum. 

Luckily, I am underweight so it didn't 't hurt that way but now, I am suffering with a badddddddddd cause of thrush.  My gums are almost bleeding.  It hurts and maddens me; but, I would still eat a lot of sweets.  It's CHRISTmas and I plan to enjoy it.  This darn illness is NOT going to take all my fun away!!

Blessings,
Jorja

Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: valene2009 on December 24, 2011, 12:57:05 PM
that thrush sounds awful. i dont quite know exactly what it is but man im sorry. :( 
u sould like me -lsat night i had 2 pieces of carrot cake (small but still), 2 oatmeal cookies, sev pieces of candy, etc... ughhhh..  im small too 119 at 5'7" but am feeling a bit bloated--could be also from the monthly tho.. sorry Joe or any other man reading this. lol.. merry xmas
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Cheryl on December 25, 2011, 07:05:38 AM
I hereby declare today to be a free day!  Within reason, eat what you want.   (We all know that there may be repercussions tomorrow, but enjoy the day.)

Happy quiet time/crazy family time/day off work to all of you, and Merry Christmas to all who celebrate the day!
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: Katybarstool on December 25, 2011, 12:51:31 PM
Thanks for giving me permission, Cheryl. I've had a virtually carb free diet for 10 weeks or so, but decided to eat what I wanted to today. It's evening here now and I've had: one yummy mince pie, two portions of Christmas pudding (one for lunch, one for dinner) and a fantastic chocolate truffle. Otherwise, I've kept to my eating plan. I've enjoyed the lot, but boy, I do feel bloated, and I think its going to get windy around here soon ;) 

Kathyx
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: engy on December 25, 2011, 04:29:12 PM
Just ate a large piece of gf pecan pie & pumpkin roll I made.

YUM! I need low carb....

Carie
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: kellyptyler on December 25, 2011, 05:11:00 PM
Yes, I'm eating way too much and with my Crohns it is not good...I'm going to pay a heavy price.
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: eyeamdry on December 25, 2011, 10:04:41 PM
My husband's "girlfriend" at the gym made him some goodies: cookies, candy etc.  He gives her fish whe he goes fishing and this is the payback.  He hid the cookies!  I did have one and when he went to bed, I went snooping.  I stopped because I don't need cookies.  Neither does he.  I've noticed his stomach is pretty big.  Maybe she is feeding his habits.  Actually, it's a favor not to have the  stuff in my face.  Lucy
Title: Re: anyone else indulging in cookies and candy??
Post by: bob212 on December 26, 2011, 08:49:50 AM
The holidays, relaxation, travel.  They all lead me to eat things I shouldn't.  I have been trying the
anti-inflammatory diet and it seems to help.  (Its healthy anyway).  But I have eaten more sugar
and gluten this past week and do feel a slight flare; kind of like a hangover headache without
having consumed alcohol.  In a way its good because it instructs me on what I know to avoid.
But, boy it also lets me know what I am missing!