Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: paperdoll on December 16, 2011, 04:53:46 PM

Title: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: paperdoll on December 16, 2011, 04:53:46 PM
Hello,

Have you seen the Anti-Inflammatory Diet suggestion via the USA Sjogren's Foundation?

That is how I have more energy and less flares and less meds  ;D

So glad they are spreading the good word!

P.

Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: Shine on December 16, 2011, 07:25:39 PM
I changed to a diet based on fruits, veggies and lean meats; losing the sugar and wheat. I did this years ago after a nutritionist had me try it. It works wonderfully on the inflammation and digestive issues. I was so impressed at seeing how food effects us (I made a 180 on how I felt) that I became certified as a health/nutrition counselor.  It is so nice to see the foundation promoting the relationship of how food effects our symptoms. It is so true that we are what we eat. I know the holidays are here and we all want to splurge on the goodies offered to us. Just remember when you grab that sugar laden  treat covered with red and green icing that your body will tell you tomorrow what a mistake it was. Before I grab the treats I ask myself, "do I want to ache tomorrow (have headaches, digestive symptoms, etc?" When I stick to a clean diet my symptoms are almost non existent. Thank you Sjogrens Foundation for sharing such good advice.
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: paperdoll on December 17, 2011, 12:16:50 AM
Shine it has helped me as well.

It was a challenge, at first, but I gave up the same stuff and started seeing the results.
Paying for less meds less doc appts and experiencing less IBS etc is great.

It took about a week to start noticing just giving up processed foods.
Then after 2 months I noticed I could do more stuff. I was healing!

Still get flares of course... but I can kind of "predict" them more often
or
I know when "I'm gonna pay for eating this (insert particular naughty thing here) tomorrow or the day after".

I guess one has to get to a point of suffering where it is worth it to not eat everything everyone else is eating.

It is hard to sometimes share my good news of my results with other Sjo sufferers
because they aren't ready to give up some things that were once pleasurable and comforting. They just, well, hurt me now...
Food journal says it all.
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: olmphoto2 on December 17, 2011, 05:43:54 AM
Thank you!  Here is the link?

http://www.sjogrens.org/files/brochures/anti-inflammatory_diet.pdf (http://www.sjogrens.org/files/brochures/anti-inflammatory_diet.pdf)
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: prunella on December 17, 2011, 12:06:34 PM
Funny that I am reading this thread as I prepare to go to an annual  holiday cookie decorating party!
Guests all bring cookies they have baked at home. The host has colorful icings and sprinkles.

We also have healthy snacks and wine.  My big cheat will be when I add goat cheese to the spinach, pear, avocado salad I am taking.

I am new to gluten free living and managed to make 2 types of gluten free cookies.  The first cookie recipe I used was from a gluten free baking book that has recipes with more white sugar than I have eaten thus far in my life!

My old favorite cookie recipe uses honey and maple syrup to sweeten, with ground almonds. I substituted brown rice flour, tapioca and xanthan gum for the whole wheat pastry flour I used to use.  They turned out great, just like the old version.

Paperdoll and shine, your reminder is very timely.   ;D

beth
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: soycoffee on December 17, 2011, 06:57:18 PM
Quote from: olmphoto2 on December 17, 2011, 05:43:54 AM
Thank you!  Here is the link?

http://www.sjogrens.org/files/brochures/anti-inflammatory_diet.pdf (http://www.sjogrens.org/files/brochures/anti-inflammatory_diet.pdf)

Yes, that's a great great diet. I don't (can't afford to) eat free-range chicken and some of the other stuff. Finally going extremely low on Sodium, less than 1000 mg/day, cured me for good of the packaged/prepared foods.

Thanks,
Soycoffee
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: Sylvia49 on December 17, 2011, 07:51:04 PM
I have heard of an anti-inflamatory diet; now I know where to find it.  Thanks for the link!

Sylvia49 :)
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: DSPeter on December 18, 2011, 02:31:29 PM
I have just purchased a wheat grinder and started making my own bread.  I was thinking that it was a healthier choice than store bought bread, etc.  Diet recommends not eating gluten. So, am I wrong? 
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: Narablueeyes on December 18, 2011, 02:39:21 PM
Just a quick note here...

Was noticing that the diet listed bison meat.  We used to eat bison all the time until the bison farms doubled their prices.  I was willing to pay $7 for a pound of ground but when I see $15.99???  Oh heck no!!!  I emailed them and said that u til the prices go back to what they were, we wouldn't buy.  They emailed me and said they did that cuz they couldn't keep up with demand.  ???
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: jazzlover on December 18, 2011, 06:28:29 PM
I eat that way all the time. It helps!
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: A66eyroad on December 19, 2011, 06:50:49 AM
I love this forum! I learn something new every day!

Thanks for posting this information!
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: valene2009 on December 19, 2011, 07:38:48 AM
Does this diet help the dryness issues with the eyes and mouth???
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: Jellyb on December 19, 2011, 05:55:36 PM
The diet has helped my dryness in my mouth ( burned tongue feelibg ) and my parotid glands dont swell as much either
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: valene2009 on December 19, 2011, 07:23:24 PM
thanks.. i was mostly curious if it helped dry eyes.. my mouth i can handle compared to my eyes..

just curious to everyone on this diet-what do you eat for breakfast since oatmeal is also a grain?
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: jazzlover on December 19, 2011, 07:36:34 PM
Eggs. I also have a flax seed meal pancake recipe that contains eggs. It's very good!
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: Carebear on December 19, 2011, 09:38:16 PM
Val,

You can buy oatmeal now that is gluten free.  It is sold under various company names like "Only Oats" and "Glutenfreeda Foods".

These are products that are guaranteed to be free of all other grains.  It has long been known that oats are gluten free, but that they are usually contaminated with wheat, barley, rye, etc. during harvest, storage, and processing.
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: genko_b on December 19, 2011, 11:29:35 PM
Someone asked about gluten-free and whether it was OK to eat bread. It depends. For example, I've been tested for celiac (gluten sensitivity) and was found to be negative. I have self-tested and have found I actually do better with some wheat in my diet. But many people, especially among those of us with autoimmune diseases, have this sensitivity, so it is worth checking it out.

I've also found that dairy agrees with me just fine. But any of the common food sensitivities you should check out for yourself.

My theory is that you should vary what you eat every day so as not to develop a sensitivity through over-use of any foods, and particularly grains. I alternate wheat, barley, oats, rice, corn meal, quinoa and other grains, and also rely on starchy vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, taro and winter squashes for a base for meals.

The same is true with fruits and vegetables - eat a variety of kinds. That way you also get a variety of micronutrients, no doubt including some we haven't "discovered" yet.

Take care,

Genko
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: valene2009 on December 20, 2011, 08:59:33 AM
thanks for your replies.. i really appreciate it!  I also use honey as a sweetner-i am assuming since it helps with the RA it is anti inflammatory and doesnt process in the body the same way as regular sugar?
Title: Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet = YAY USA Sjogren's Foundation!!!!!
Post by: paperdoll on January 04, 2012, 05:45:17 PM
So glad folks are willing to try - I have less hand foot joint and muscle pain.  More moisture too.  Remember it takes a little while for the inflammation to heal.  I say change one thing a month!