Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living Life In Spite of Sjogren's => Topic started by: jasonsmith on November 18, 2011, 09:55:55 PM

Title: Working from home
Post by: jasonsmith on November 18, 2011, 09:55:55 PM
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on working from home to earn some extra money? I was looking at doing something on the computer or online. Though, I know most of those work at home things are scams. But I know there are legitimate work at home jobs like on the computer. But I have no idea where to find them or what they would be since most out there are fake.

I figured someone may know of something since alot of us can't do a whole lot physically.
Title: Re: Working from home
Post by: Joe S. on November 19, 2011, 05:07:57 AM
I am posting with the hope of seeing some good answers that may work for me. I spend most of my time in the house with little to do and there is little that I am able to do.
Title: Re: Working from home
Post by: Sooki on November 19, 2011, 09:00:52 AM
I do freelance indexing - that is, I make indexes that go in the backs of books.  I work mostly for editors at publishing companies. I receive the page proofs, read through them, create an index (formatted by indexing software), and send the index back.  When I started I took the USDA correspondence course in it; I think it's still available.  Today, there are other well-respected online courses you can take as well such as those at UC Berkeley and Middlesex Community College.  The American Society for Indexing has good resources on this.  (asindexing.org) 

There are other publishing-related skills you could look into, such as proofreading and technical editing.

Bookkeeping and medical billing are also at-home businesses.  I've met people who earn a living selling on eBay.

These all require some training and time commitment.  And a certain amount of perseverance to start one's own business.  Also projects usually require flexibility of scheduling and often have rigid (but unpredictable) deadlines. 

There is also a start-up energy and enthusiasm required, which is sometimes in short supply with Sjs. 

When I started, I was *highly motivated* to stop commuting and work at home, especially when my kid was young.  My husband, baby, and I were living in a small trailer while we built our house.  I borrowed a space in a neighbor's barn above the sheep and plugged in my lamp and used laptop.  I quit my city job as environmental chemist as soon as I got my first paycheck! (Not everyone is so Horatio Alger about it, though.)

Freelance work at home is certainly possible.  Be optimistic and keep looking until you find something that sounds appealing. 


Title: Re: Working from home
Post by: Pisces24 on November 19, 2011, 04:00:11 PM
Sorry I don't know but depending on the TYPE of work you do, you may (long shot) be able to do it from home.

My job is set up so if we do have an emergency, we can work from home on our home computers. Not sure if "weatherman advises to stay off the roads" constitutes an emergency now. I know proir to us having this, we had to come in. Obviously those living out of town didn't make it in. I'm the one that gets the snowplows to leave me presents of 3-4 ft of snow at the end of my driveway. I got a snowblower now but you have to have a BIG one to tackle that!

I know of a few volunteer things for working at home but nothing that you get paid for. I wish I knew of ones. Good luck and be careful. If they ask for $$, run the other way.
Title: Re: Working from home
Post by: jasonsmith on December 26, 2011, 08:52:24 PM
Any other ideas?
Title: Re: Working from home
Post by: Duchess on December 26, 2011, 09:21:46 PM
Yeah, any more ideas?

Duchess
Title: Re: Working from home
Post by: angielyn on December 28, 2011, 08:46:38 AM
I make candles & tarts.  No, I'm not able to do it all the time though, depends on how I feel. I do it more out of fun and if and what money I do make is great. It does bother me that I can't open an online store and accept orders because heaven for bid I have NO idea how I'll feel day to day. But, what I do is make what I make then sell what I have.
Title: Re: Working from home
Post by: Duchess on December 28, 2011, 07:40:47 PM
I tried baking also. I can't do it online because I don't think I would be able to keep up. It is so unpredictable as to how I would feel.

I can't even keep up with baking family birthday cakes!


Duchess