Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: eyeamdry on November 18, 2011, 09:52:29 PM

Title: Update on knee replacement
Post by: eyeamdry on November 18, 2011, 09:52:29 PM
I tried to find an older thread I had on this, but couldn't.  It's still prime in my mind and (pain level) although probably not others.  It was November 2 and I have been walking around the house without any help, crutches etc.  My incision (huge thing) is healing well but is uncomfortable.  I never had any problems, seepage, etc with it.  I had one pinpoint of blood on the end of the last staple they pulled.

I had a visiting nurse and PT this week only and I am glad because they were here everyday.  My MD has put me on an outpatient program for PT which will be heck but really help me.  I do not need a visiting (or other) nurse.  I have not gone out yet because I want to be very stable on my feet.  Our yard is full of walnuts and those are dangerous.  I am still on pain meds and likely will be forever.  I am at 100 degree bend right now without any PT.

I have an appt next Wed with PT and will be hard getting appts because of this time of year and holidays etc.  Will report again later on.  Lucy
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: soycoffee on November 18, 2011, 10:29:26 PM
Hi, Lucy
I've been checking and looking for updates on your knee replacement, without finding information on whether and when you had the operation, and how you might be feeling. I almost thought some necessary tests had not been done, and the operation was cancelled.

100 degrees of bend sounds very good to me. I remember that measuring and checking after knee surgery twenty years ago, and the achievement that comes with each 5 or 10 degrees more in the direction of flexibility.

Glad to hear your report. Take care, get well, get dancing   ;)

Soycoffee
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: eyeamdry on November 18, 2011, 11:00:52 PM
The 100 degrees should be able to get better with exercise.  I would like to add whie I'm thinking about it is that I have a lot of neuropathy with the surgery.  The foot is burning and hurts with a sock on it, also some across my calf.  This does not surprise me exactly and I'm not sure it will ever go away entirely.  I tke Lyrica and will continue to do so.  Lucy
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: harrigan on November 19, 2011, 02:20:41 AM
Good luck with your PT and continuing recuperation.  Good to hear from you  XX Ailsa
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: Joe S. on November 19, 2011, 05:04:22 AM
Jan had some phantom nerve issues that seem to be going away after surgery.
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: Carolina on November 19, 2011, 07:29:08 AM
Dearest eyeamdry,

I read your post with great attention.

The last thing my orthopedist said to me about my knee on which I had arthroscopic surgery to provide relief from a torn meniscus:

See you when it's time to do the knee replacement!

I had the 'pleasure' of watching knee replacement surgery on a TV show once, and the vision is etched on my retinas!

I cannot imagine going through that, ever.   And yet, every day I meet people who have!  And here you are, sharing your recovery.

OK, so what is your pain med?   I can't do any of the codeine analogs, I came home from the arthroscopic surgery on Tylenol. eeeek.

And your recovery sounds amazing.  I still don't have 100% a year and a half out from my arthroscopic knee surgery.

OK, now I realize once AGAIN, that I am dreading a future event.  When will I ever learn how useless that is?

This forum is a blessing.

And reading your post today has lifted a cloud I don't have to carry around.

Keep us posted.

Hugs

Elaine

Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: Carebear on November 19, 2011, 08:00:06 AM
Hi Lucy,

I'm so happy to see your new thread because I have been thinking about you and your recovery process.  I can only imagine the hard work that awaits you.  Please take care and keep us posted.   ;)
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: Scottietottie on November 19, 2011, 08:04:13 AM
Hi Lucy  :)

That's fantastic! (Well - obviously not the pain) I didn't ditch my crutches as fast as you have! In fact I used one for about 3 months.

100 degrees bend is pretty good too. It took me a while to get there. I was told my knee may never bend more than 90 - ever. (It did - it will do 130 now but that's since 2006.)

I hope it just keeps getting better for you. I'm still on pain meds but no longer for the knee - just for everything else!

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: Meld256 on November 19, 2011, 10:11:47 AM
We've not forgetten about you and the knee! I, too, have wondered how you're doing.  ;)

I'm glad you posted your update.  It's sounds as if all is going well, but I can imagine it's a long and lengthy recovery.
We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep updating us.
Melinda
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: Katybarstool on November 19, 2011, 12:54:51 PM
Lcy

Im glad to see our post too - you sound very positive, even though you are still 'early days'. Keep up the good work.

Kathyx
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: anita on November 19, 2011, 03:11:31 PM
Lucy,

Was this surgery the regular replacement, or the revision from your partial replacement?  I remember you saying you need one revision and one reg. replacement.  If it was a replacement, how did it compare to the partial done before?  I'm curious because I have a partial that needs a revision and I'd like to know if there is any difference in the post-op pain, initial ROM, etc.

I had horrible complications from the partial...major hemorrhage in the joint due to blood thinners for my APS & stroke history.  I spent 27 days in the hospital.  I'm sure the revision will go much smoother....when I get the nerve up to do it.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: susanep on November 19, 2011, 03:45:09 PM
I am glad you are making progress Lucy, though I am sorry you are still in pain.  I hope things keep going well, and you are moving around even more soon. We are all thinking of you.

susanep  :)
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: irish on November 19, 2011, 08:42:21 PM
Lucy, I have been waiting for you to show up with a report on your progress. Sounds like you are doing quite well.

I don't blame you for staying inside cause a fall at this time could really throw a wrench in the works. Sorry to hear that the pain continues but glad that you are getting 100 degrees with so little rehab at this point. In another few weeks I would expect things should improve greatly.

Hope your hubby is recovering from his nursing duty. Irish ;D
Title: Re: Update on knee replacement
Post by: eyeamdry on November 19, 2011, 09:40:49 PM
Susan, I was 8 years younger when I had my partial and still working full time.  I do know my partial is loose and have knee pain but will pray that the new full opposite knee will take up some of the slack.  I had really no trouble with my partial, except I had pain off and on for what seemed like a couple of years (which returned a couple of years ago also).  I will access the full knee and then decide if I can have the partial done a revision.

My dr told me this knee would hurt a lot more because there is a lot more being done this time.  Also, I am an older biddy now.  I KNOW I have to do the PT and keep moving so this sucker does not freeze up.  I can't stand losing ground.  I do not want to scare others about the surgery.  Waiting and doing shots, cortisone etc all for a couple of years is no piece of cake either.  I've done them all.  Will keep reporting.  I am fortunate to have a helping, thankful hubby.  But sometmes the tears come anyhow.  Me, not him. lol.  When I had the partial 8 years ago, I was not dx with SJS but am sure I had it then.  Lucy