Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: needahammock on October 14, 2011, 05:51:21 PM

Title: Taking long to heal...
Post by: needahammock on October 14, 2011, 05:51:21 PM
Hello All!

I was wondering if any of you has a hard time with your body healing from scratches, bumps, etc. I take forever to heal, get black and blues out of now where and even end up with scars that never go away. A year ago I had my left foot bunion fixed because it was painful. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago due to still having pain while I walk, stand, squat and sometimes just from doing nothing. As it turned out, after x-rays and a CTScan, one part on top of the bone still not healed  and of course, I have arthritis in there too :(. My doctor said she has never seen anything like this, so I'm a rare case  :o.

We are currently trying a bone stimulator for the next 3 months and see if that helps, if not, I'll have to have surgery again. Not a happy camper with the news. I'm hoping that the bone stimulator helps my foot to heal quickly.

Have any of you experience anything like this? Is taking a long time to heal or getting unexpected black & blues part of having SS?
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: Pisces24 on October 14, 2011, 05:58:54 PM
I notice with me it takes longer for any scratches I get to heal.

Thankfully no black n blue problems. The needle sticks heal ok. Just other stuff seems to take longer.
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: mshistory on October 14, 2011, 06:18:32 PM
Oh gosh, I'm a terribly slow healer. In my early 20s, I finally had my wisdom teeth removed and I was really nervous about it so my husband kept assuring me it would be a few days of discomfort then I'd be fine. A MONTH later, I was still in so much pain I was still having to take prescription painkillers and could only eat soft foods. I had complications from both of my c-sections, and both surgeries left a noticeable scar. I get infections easily too (got one with my second c-section, and got a bladder infection from another procedure that required a catheter). I'm always the last one in the family to kick a cold too. And yes, I bruise very easily.
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: Joe S. on October 14, 2011, 08:01:57 PM
1. Have your blood sugar checked.
2. Are you a smoker? In the pain support group we found smokers healed slow and bruised easily.
3. You may need to supplement with at least 500mg C/day.
4. Try adding tones to help you heal.
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: jasonsmith on October 15, 2011, 02:59:17 AM
Quote from: Joe S. on October 14, 2011, 08:01:57 PM
1. Have your blood sugar checked.
2. Are you a smoker? In the pain support group we found smokers healed slow and bruised easily.
3. You may need to supplement with at least 500mg C/day.
4. Try adding tones to help you heal.

With regards to blood sugar. Would the slow healing have to do with high blood sugar? I have a slow time at healing but my glucose has always been good. But I was drinking over 5 cokes a day amongst all the other sugary food. So, I was probably getting 7 times the daily allowance of sugar for most of my life.

And what is tones?
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: mshistory on October 15, 2011, 04:32:59 AM
Quote from: Joe S. on October 14, 2011, 08:01:57 PM
1. Have your blood sugar checked.
2. Are you a smoker? In the pain support group we found smokers healed slow and bruised easily.
3. You may need to supplement with at least 500mg C/day.
4. Try adding tones to help you heal.

My blood sugar is checked with my regular blood work and is always fine. I quit smoking in 2005. I do take a multivitamin but I'm not sure how much Vit. C is in it...I don't know what tones are either. Thank you for the suggestions  :)
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: Joe S. on October 15, 2011, 06:46:47 AM
You can find some tones at this link: http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: babycakes on October 15, 2011, 01:33:26 PM
yes yes yes

i am experiencing the very symptoms since being diagnosed.  scratches and cuts seem to take ages to heal and they hurt too.  I now have brown marks where the odd scratch or cut has left a blemish.

When i had my son 4 years ago, i had excessive bleeding after the c section also and took ages for my scar to heal.  I have also noticed that i frequently have at least 3 bruises on my legs if not more pretty much all the time.

6 months ago, i fell over and hurt my hand, i feel it hasnt still recovered (even though nothing was broken) and i have a bony lump there which hurts slightly.

take care annie x
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: Patze on October 15, 2011, 03:34:44 PM
Yeah, I'm another one that takes forever to heal compared to how fast I used to before SJS/Hashimoto's (non smoker, blood sugar is good (just had it checked again), and take 500mg of C a day).

I've asked several of the docs and none of them could explain it either.  Weird.


Patze
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: Jozee on October 16, 2011, 06:08:11 AM
I take a long time to heal too. Over a year ago I had a fat pad biopsy on my stomach. The scar is just now finally healed up and is just a scar now. Looks like a large coin slot on my tummy. Scratches take forever too.

I have always bruised VERY easily and now that I take Savella for small fiber neuropathy I bruise even easier. My husband and I are separating and due to the excessive bruises people are asking if he's hitting me. Of course, he's NOT!
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: warmwaters on October 16, 2011, 07:56:48 AM
I used to heal very well and easily, but since being on Plaquenil and prednisone, every little scratch takes forever and leaves a scar. Bruise extremely easily as well.
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: susan on October 16, 2011, 09:41:27 AM

Haven't experience trouble healing, but tend to have constantly bruised legs. I attribute it to the prednisone and baby aspirin, but it was present to a slight degree before those meds. Docs do not seem to be concerned of course:)
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: prunella on October 16, 2011, 10:21:54 AM
I am very slow to heal.  Every little thing (minor surgeries, falling off my bike, cataract surgery) seems to tire my whole being.
Blood sugar is fine. Go figure. 

Bruises last forever. Some seem to appear out of nowhere, but I figure that I just have a bad memory for routine events--like crashing into furniture.

I have always bruised easily and have never been particularly agile, so I tell people the furniture jumps out at me.  ;)

Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: LizPetillo on October 16, 2011, 11:39:49 AM
Yes .. longer to heal ... easily bruised ... bruises last forever.
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: Luna on October 16, 2011, 02:09:22 PM
Yep, all the above for me as well. slow healer. Scar and bruise easy. It stinks.

Thanks for the tips Joe..
Rebecca
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: needahammock on October 16, 2011, 07:19:20 PM
Well, I guess that this is part of having SS, I also have Hashimoto's, not sure if it will cause it as well. I'm not a smoker, eat lots of fruit high in vitamin C, and my blood sugar level is always good. I'm hoping that I don't have to go through surgery again, it's so painful  :(.

Anyone has any recommendations to lighten scars and marks? I used tons of vitamin E on my scar at the beginning, but still pretty dark and of course, you can see it when I'm wearing sandals. Not that I'll be wearing them anymore, but would like to find something to use for the winter.

You guys are great, thanks so much for your feedback  8).
Title: Re: Taking long to heal...
Post by: Joe S. on October 17, 2011, 02:27:19 AM
My daughter had some sort of cream that she rubbed into her scar from open heart surgery. I believe it was an OTC that her doctor recommended. You may want to check with your doctor. There was an OTC that was advertised on TV but I do not remember the name of the product.