Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Jozee on October 06, 2011, 09:39:34 PM

Title: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Jozee on October 06, 2011, 09:39:34 PM
I went to my first Living Well With Chronic Illness workshop tonight. It's put on by the Department Of Humans Services. This was the first class these ladies taught but it was really good. I am excited and hoping to learn a lot. We set goals for each week. Everyone set goals of things they were going to "do". My goal was making sure I lay down for a half hour a day at least 4 days a week.

I need to relax more and get some quiet time.

Excited for my next class. There may be one of these classes in your area. My sister who lives across the state told me about it.

i think you can google it to find one.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Joe S. on October 07, 2011, 05:56:52 AM
I hope that it goes well with you.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Jellyb on October 07, 2011, 05:59:47 AM
Thanks Jozee,
I am going to look into this!  Thank you so much for the post:-)
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Carebear on October 07, 2011, 08:41:54 AM
Hi Jozee,

I attended a similar 6 week workshop this summer, and gathered a lot of insight and tools that I continue to use daily.  Most significantly, I felt for the first time since my "Sjogren's journey" began, that I am not alone.  I met so many strong and courageous people...it was inspiring.  :D
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Meld256 on October 07, 2011, 10:47:40 AM
Jozee,

So glad that you found the workshop and it's helpful.  ;)  I would love to find one myself. 

Carebear,
I remember you telling us about going to your workshop this summer.  I meant to ask you then if you possibly had any material that you could share with us? If it's too involved, don't bother.  But if you have a link or something you might feel like posting, I, for one would really be interested and I think others would, too.  ;)
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Carebear on October 07, 2011, 11:21:41 AM
Hi Melinda,

You have such a good memory!  And you are too kind to ask me to share this information with everyone.  This particular program is only available to those who live in Alberta, Canada, but this link may help you find something like it in your own state or province:

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=service&rid=1054851

As you will see, it is based on the Self-Management Stanford Chronic Disease Workshop developed at Stanford University.  It included a relaxation CD, a workbook, and a reference book written by the team in Alberta.

I have also recently signed up for a four day Rheumatoid Arthritis Education Program which is offered at the teaching hospital.  It includes the disciplines of physical therapy, occupational therapy, rheumatology, dietary, psychology, and
pharmacy.

Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: A66eyroad on October 07, 2011, 11:44:54 AM
I was doing a search for a class like this in my neck of the woods, and came across this really great article about living with chronic illness:  http://draletta.typepad.com/explorewhatsnext/2010/07/5-rules-for-living-with-chronic-illness.html (http://draletta.typepad.com/explorewhatsnext/2010/07/5-rules-for-living-with-chronic-illness.html)
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: engy on October 07, 2011, 02:18:27 PM
Great article. I took a lot from the part about inner circles. I need to remember to only tell the truth of how I feel to my inner circle & everyone else say, "I'm fine!"

Carie
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Jozee on October 07, 2011, 11:22:47 PM
Wow! Great article and so many others on there too. When I was done reading and clicked off it I'd forgotten I started out on this web site.  :o
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Patze on October 08, 2011, 05:39:44 AM
Thanks for the article A66eyroad!  Number 3 is the one I have the most trouble with, and I sure need to learn to do better (tougher when you have to work unpredictable hours).


Patze
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Meld256 on October 08, 2011, 11:07:50 AM
Carebear,

Sometimes my memory works!  ;) We have quite a few Canadian members, so I hopefully other programs like this can be found in many provinces, and in US states, too.  Thanks so much for posting the link! 

I'm wondering if the study materials might be found through Amazon.  Think I'll be researching a bit more.
The RA education program you've signed up for sounds wonderful, too.  You are showing us all how to take positive steps in caring for ourselves and making the best of life.  :D ;)

Thanks for sharing!
Melinda
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Carebear on October 08, 2011, 11:37:57 AM
The U.S. edition of the book is available on Amazon:

"Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions"

Not all chapters will pertain to you situation but most will.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Meld256 on October 08, 2011, 11:53:32 AM
Thank you! Carebear  8) ;)  I edited just a bit so we didn't have the specific web address, but very much appreciate the information.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Meld256 on October 08, 2011, 01:23:38 PM
A66eyroad,

That's a great article.  Thanks so much for posting! Very valuable information on how to manage our "new lives."   ;)

I also saw an article at the same site under Chronic Illness about living with limitations.  That seems to be something a majority of us struggle with; great suggestions in this article.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Carebear on October 08, 2011, 02:11:39 PM
Oops.   :-[  Sorry Melinda.  I guess I can blame it on the fatigue.  I just finished making three large apple pies (using apples from the yard) for our Thanksgiving dinner on Monday.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Joe S. on October 08, 2011, 02:13:48 PM
Carebear, Thanks for reminding me. Now if I can just remember on Monday, I can wish my daughter a happy thanks giving.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Carebear on October 08, 2011, 04:39:26 PM
You are welcome, Joe!
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: annette2 on October 08, 2011, 05:48:29 PM
I know that in Toronto the Arthritis Society has offers a course also - The Arthritis Self Manageent Program but it is open to anyone who wants to take it.  It is also 6 weeks ( I think)  I took it a year ago and it helps

I don't know if it is available in the whole province

Annette
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Jozee on October 08, 2011, 09:39:15 PM
The book we are using in the Living Well With Chronic Illness is the one Carebear mentioned. Living a Healthy Life With Chronic Conditions.   I can't wait to start reading it. I need to take the time.

Late at night when I get on here is the only time I really have available but I can't read a book at thi time of night. I will fall asleep before I've even finished the first page!
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Carebear on October 08, 2011, 09:54:14 PM
Jozee,

I hope you get as much out of the book as I did.  I still pull it out from time to time when I need a refresher.  ;)

I know what you mean about not being about to read without falling asleep.  The good thing about this book is that it is written simply and organized in a way that you can read small sections at a time.
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Meld256 on October 08, 2011, 09:58:32 PM
Carebear,
Not to worry... Oh, three apple pies; sounds delicious!  8)
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Patze on October 09, 2011, 06:17:07 AM
Yummy Carebear!  Three apple pies?  Please tell me that its with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of super fine cinnamon?  Can't tell that I like apple pie can you? :P :)


Patze
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Narablueeyes on October 15, 2011, 08:53:57 AM
Quote from: Jozee on October 08, 2011, 09:39:15 PM
The book we are using in the Living Well With Chronic Illness is the one Carebear mentioned. Living a Healthy Life With Chronic Conditions.   I can't wait to start reading it. I need to take the time.

Late at night when I get on here is the only time I really have available but I can't read a book at thi time of night. I will fall asleep before I've even finished the first page!

I have this book but for my brain fog, I havent started reading it yet.  Anyone have any opinions about it?
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: buddybelle on October 16, 2011, 07:50:19 PM
Melinda
When I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis I was involved in a research study. We were encouraged to attend living well with a chronic illness classes. The classes were wonderful and help keep life in better perspective. I learned to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty and learned a variety of stress reducing techniques.

If anyone has Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance in the United States, classes are offered free of charge. I highly recommend them.
Buddybelle
Title: Re: Living Well With Chronic Illness
Post by: Meld256 on October 16, 2011, 07:56:02 PM
Thank you, Buddybelle.   ;)

I tend to believe we could all benefit from a class in living well with a chronic illness.  I'm so glad the one you attended was such a help to you!

I'll pass the word along about Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance.  Thanks so much for the info. and it's good to see you back around here.  :D
Take care,
Melinda