The other day, the PA ordered more blood. Some results came in this morning:
So far, this is what we have collectively:
COMPR METAB PANEL
- Marked as not being right:
ALT 38 10 - 35 U/L H
ANION GAP 6 7 - 15 mmol/L L
VITAMIN B12 Showing all is normal
T3, FREE Showing all is normal at 2.8
T4, FREE Showing all is normal at 1.02
ANA Negative
SSA-SSB ANTIBODY All negative
RHEUMATOID FACTOR <7
CRP HIGH SENSITIVITY normal at 2.21
CBC/DIFF All showing normal
LIPID PANEL CHOLESTEROL high at 201 (Something new for me)
25-HYDROXY VITAMIN D Low at 17.4
TSH Normal at 3.87
GLUCOSE Normal at 95
Not sure if there are more to come in from the other day or not.
The results are giberish to me...All I know is that I want to feel like myself again.
Btw....would that be what causes some pain/discomfort in my chest/heart? The low anion gap level?
Oh something else I just noticed with my online medical record system....this appears on my first screen now:
Information for Your Health
Understanding Lupus
Systemic lupus is a disease that causes your body?s immune system to attack its own cells and tissues. This can affect your joints and organs, such as the skin and kidneys. Lupus is most common in young adult women. It is an ongoing problem that can be serious, but it doesn?t have to prevent you from doing the things you enjoy. You can help control lupus by living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Be sure to see your doctor for regular checkups and lab work. At some point, your doctor may send you to a rheumatologist (a doctor who specializes in lupus, arthritis, and other related diseases).
Full Story ...
An indication they think I may have lupus??????
I haven't seen a whole lot of stuff of significance yet. Normally, most docs will do the double stranded DNA to check for lupus
However, just because you don't have a lot of positive blood work doesn't mean that you don't have something wrong. Sometimes it takes months/years to get a diagnosis. Meanwhile the best the docs can do for you is to treat your symptoms.
I would assume that you have more tests coming. Do not panic about anything until you see your doctor as they are the ones who put all the symptoms together along with the blood work and decided what is going on. Sometimes they don't know either and they will send us to another specialist. Took me many, many years to prove that there was something wrong with me. Irish ;D
Hi LisaMarie :)
I would query 3.87 as being a 'normal' TSH result. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I feel ill if my TSH is anything above 2 and I feel best when it's lower than that. My understanding is that in the US 'normal' is now between 0.3 and 3. (I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong) At 3.87 I would be asking my doc for a raise in thyroid meds.
Take care - Scottie :)
The TSH at 3.87 is kind of high----you could be hypothyroid. Lots of people are symptomatic at that level. Having Hashimoto's, where the thyroid hormone levels can go up and down ---this can give you some heart symptoms, arrhythmia, racing heart rate, too slow heart rate, etc. Not sure about the Free T3 and Free T4 because the reference ranges aren't given.
Doctors don't tend to mention the role of electrolyte balance in some heart symptoms. If the heart cells don't have the proper ratio of potassium to sodium (4:1) and enough magnesium, then you can have arrhythmia. If you could have the doctor order the minerals test, that would be good info to have. In the meantime, cut down your salt (sodium) intake drastically, and add lots of potassium foods like tomato juice (low sodium), bananas, spinach, almonds, etc. Take a magnesium supplement (chelated mag, mag glycinate are good ones)---start by adding 200 mg a day and go up from there to bowel tolerance.
Your Vitamin D levels are too low, which lots of us have---the doc should give you special supplements to bring that up.
I don't know if any of these cause chest pain. Although, if your heart is beating fast and working hard, it could cause pain.
C
(I get the potassium-sodium-magnesium guidelines from my online AFib forum. Following the recommendations has really helped me lessen my AFib episodes and helps calm my heart---no more "thudding" and less skipping. PM me if you want the forum info).
From what I have read, I think your TSH and Cholesterol levels are a sign of an under active Thyroid.
I wonder where your FT3 & FT4 levels actually fit within the "normal" range.
Hope you get some answers soon.
Aussie Mum
anion gap????
your Vit D level is very low
For those that asked.....
T3, FREE 2.8
T4, FREE 1.02
Today's biggest feeling was the feeling of tightness in the chest...like I was having a panic attack.
That also sounds like thyroid to me.
hmmmmm, I'm sorry you don't have answers.
Carie
Hi,
I agree with what the others have said: TSH is higher than optimal, and although you didn't give the normal ranges for fT3 or fT4, they sound like they are "low normal". Many people on the thyroid forums shoot for a fT4 midrange, and fT3 upper third of range.
High cholesterol can be primary, but it can also be secondary to something else, like thyroid problems, so it could certainly be explained by that.
I agree, your Vit D is way low. Hopefully, your doctor is also checking ferritin and iron.
Your doctor should have run a check for the antibodies to the thyroid, TPO and ThyAB. If not, I would advise you ask him to do so, with your symptoms, it's important to rule that out. With Hashi's thyroid problem, you can experience what are called "thyroid storms", when the inflamed thyroid follicles rupture and dump thyroid hormone into the bloodstream. This is one potential cause of panicky feelings, high heart rate, abnormal heart rhythms, sweating, etc. Of course, there could be other reasons for your symptoms too, but doing the tests for antibodies is important for this reason.
Was your glucose a fasting glucose? If so, it's a tad high, but this could also be secondary to thyroid problems.
The ALT is a test for liver enzymes, it's just a little out, so I wouldn't panic about it right now, it could be due to any number of reasons. I'm sure your doc noticed it, and hopefully will recheck it again in the future to help determine if there's a trend or not.
I have Hashi's, and have just now gotten my TSH down to 3.7 . . . . I plan on going much lower, as this is still symptomatic for me. In fact, right now, my bloodwork for thyroid hormones looks a lot like yours, and I consider myself definitely hypothyroid still.
There are some good thyroid forums out there, if you're interested, I think we can post a link. That would help you to understand the thyroid aspect of your bloodwork a little better at least.
Not sure if they have any other outstanding blood work results to give me or not yet. I tell you what...waiting to get into to see the rheumatologist is really bothering me! I have to wait until Oct. 11th.
It's funny how I start noticing other symptoms that I've had for awhile now...Low Blood Pressure...sometimes to the point that I feel light headed, dizzy, etc. I don't have the red butterfly rash on my face but on the front to the sides of my neck I have a maroon type rash that fades in and out. I also get bumps on my scalp...mainly around the hairline but some throughout the scalp. They come and go. I get them on my neck especially behind my ears. I get some on the front (not as many) and on my collar bone area. I'm a picker so I can't tell how they really present because I have always thought they were pimples and keep squeezing them....I know I know...I shouldn't. They do go away pretty well. They get scabs and I don't pick them as much then. They just flake away. My nose right at the tip gets red and will get bump that isn't a pimple but painful.
Lately my period has been weird. Please stop reading now if this is TMI - It comes about 3 weeks apart...usually I'm 4-5 weeks apart. I usually only bleed for one-two days then spot for 1-2 more. Lately I've been bleeding for 4 days and spotting for 3. I know...for most women, they would love to have that. But it is unlike me. I want my light ones back...I use to love only having to buy panty liners. I never use tampons because I would be so dry that I always felt as if I was ripping my insides out when removing them.
OK....that topic is done. lol
Well, I'm out to celebrate my dad's 75th birthday with brunch. I've saved my spoons for him today! It's been a lazy morning....grrr...with snow!
Hi LisaMarie,
I agree with the others, I would talk to your doctor about possibly working on getting your TSH down a bit. Some of your symptoms also seems to follow being hypothyroid (high cholesterol, low blood pressure/temperature, problems with menses among many), and I would either talk to your primary or see if you can get an appointment with an endocrinologist.
Yeah, waiting to see the rheumy or any doctor can be nerve wracking! :) I see mine in a couple of weeks, ugh; like him, but he can daunting.
Have fun at your dads party, and take care of yourself, okay?
Patze
I have a question about thyroid. With her THS at 3.87, it does seem to be on the high side. My levels are in the threes, too. Does that mean more levoxyl is needed or less levoxyl? Which brings that numbers down more?
Liz D.
LisaMarie,
Do you mind me asking what you think the bumps on your scalp indicate? thanx
Hi Liz D,
To answer your TSH question:
Higher TSH = Underactivev Thyroid OR HYPOTHYROIDISM (increase medication)
Lower TSH = Overactive Thyroid OR HYPERTHYROIDISM (decrease medication)
It is confusing.
Quote from: gold55 on October 03, 2011, 07:42:27 AM
LisaMarie,
Do you mind me asking what you think the bumps on your scalp indicate? thanx
I have no clue. :) Just throwing it out there. They come and go. I notice that I get them about the same time I get the bumps behind the ears on my neck. Kind of like hives but they do get touchy.
I ask because I think I get the same thing on my scalp but only in the summer so I "assumed" they were breakouts where my scalp might be sweating. Recently I did hear of someone with Lupus having a scaley scalp but I have yet to test any positive markers or rashes for Lupus?! Perhaps you and I just have sensitive skin :) jill
More abnormal results posted on my medical records:
EBV IGG AB POSITIVE NEG - A
EBV IGG AB QUANT 701 <18.1 - U/ml H
Hi LisaMarie,
I can't comment on your test results precisely, but I know that if you have positive EBV antibodies, then it is likely that you have a current, or had a very recent, EBV infection (Epstein-Barr Virus).
Getting sooo frustrated as the PA, Abby, sent me a note saying all my blood work is normal. AAAAACK! Is she not listening to me? Not reading my messages back to her? Why is a PA handling this anyway? Where is my doctor? Should I just remain calm (or as calm as I can be) until my appointment next Tuesday with the Rheumy? This fatigue, heart palpitations, pain, brain fog, etc is driving me literally insane. I had thought that seeing some of the results being off would at least tell them that I'm not making this up. According to Abby, The EBV is a test they do for mono...yes. I understand that. She said it shows that I've had an infection in the past but not an active infection. She said the Anion Gap means nothing. The only time they would look at it is if I was in the ICU and deathly ill. She said the ALT is very slightly elevated and that they will keep an eye on it but not worried about it. She will not comment on my explanation that their level for the TSH is not with today's standards and that my 3.87 should be marked as high. What I wouldn't do to be able to get a full 40 hours of work in a week!!!!! Heck at this point, just give me 30 hours and I'd be somewhat happy if they would allow me to apply the other 10 hours towards my housework. Any one else from Central Pennsylvania who can make a recommendation on who to see?
Quote from: LisaMarie on October 04, 2011, 09:12:17 AM
She said the Anion Gap means nothing. The only time they would look at it is if I was in the ICU and deathly ill.
Pardon me for asking, but if it means nothing then why did the doctor do the test?
Hi Lisa,
I go the same clinic in PA. I sent a private message.
But I have to say, I never got anything out of blood work. My blood work they say is always normal, with one exception that is...I always have something that indicates anemia... I can't remember what is low. Since I was a child, every blood work shows some anemia. I need to take care of that, I think I have some blood disorder.
But if your blood work is normal, that is a great thing. You would have to go by symptoms.
General practictioners...well I had quite a few...But, I get some treatment, and some answers from all the specialists. I have skin problems, autoimmune related confirmed, but not sure if I have Sjoegrens, and if my Gastro problems are due to my gallblader surgery or if they have some autoimmune correlation. But I'm going to find out. I feel that I'm the right path now with the doctors.
Little by little I'll get my answers.
Have you seen a derm regarding your skin issues? they might be able to help as well?
gursie
Skin issues can go with sjogrens or they can be an entirely separate disease process. Also, there is a lupus that affects mostly just the skin called Discoid Lupus.
The anion gap that you are concerned about---probably is just the way she explained it. Keep in mind that many times blood work will be borderline and even if it is a little high or a little low the docs don't panic because what we eat and drink can affect the levels. If we are over hydrated or dehydrated there can be some odd blood work levels.
Also, keep in mind that your cholesterol is not that high. Most places will not treat it at that level, especially if your other lipid levels are pretty good. There is always the problem of drug reactions/allergies, etc so docs don't just throw a person on a statin if it is a little elevated. They like a person to try the diet control first.
Also, is it possible that your lab is still going by the old TSH levels??? Used to be that they used the number 5.0 as the high edge of normal. It has recently been changed to .3 through 3.0 I believe. It is worth requesting to see an endocrinologist if you are concerned about the TSH. Everyone is different and reacts differently to slightly elevated TSH.
In view of the symptoms that you mention it seems that waiting till an appt on the 11th is not out of line. I know that palpitations can drive you crazy. I have been the whole nine yards on that one myself and it took a long time to figure out. Turned out that I was anemic and the minute I would stand up to walk 2 steps my heart rate and respirations would jump big time.
The only thing I can tell you is to stay calm and sit down and rest more often as that in itself helps to settle the brain fog at times. Too much stimuli to the brain will make brain fog worse on those bad days. The thyroid can sure cause the brain fog issues.
Just try to stay calm and don't worry big time until the docs tell you to. I said it before and I will say it again. The amount of worry that we do unneccesarily canr eally make our symptoms worse because of the increase in our stress level. I know it is hard not to fret, but try to make your brain think of other things and keep busy. Irish ;D
No, I've not seen a derm yet.....I am just coming off some the bumps on my scalp. They seem to be clearing up again. When they break out again, and I know they will, I will contact them too.
I feel mainly bad because I've missed so much work lately mainly due to fatigue. I have some traveling coming up in the next month and I worry some about that too. But, one step at a time and I know I cannot let fear keep me from trying to move forward to the best of my abilities. As far as a diagnosis goes, I will be patient. Or at least try to. lol
Quote from: LisaMarie on October 02, 2011, 07:51:56 AM
I don't have the red butterfly rash on my face but on the front to the sides of my neck I have a maroon type rash that fades in and out. I also get bumps on my scalp...mainly around the hairline but some throughout the scalp. They come and go. I get them on my neck especially behind my ears.
Hmmm... so just what IS the neck thingy?? I have that too. AND I have the bumps in my scalp and some white things behind my ears sometimes. I do think the scalp and ear thing is candida/yeast. Mainly because dandruff shampoo fixed my scalp issues and I know for a fact that I've had yeasty things behind my ears before. Can't seem to get rid of it this time.
You def need a derm...I have those flaky white-ish patches all around my hairline...she said it was
a form of scalp dermatitis..to use nizoral or she gave me a script for some other stuff. Important for them to diagnose and treat this.
I know you can buy shampoos for this at pretty much any store as well.
Gursie