Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: CAT1962 on August 28, 2011, 06:45:20 AM

Title: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: CAT1962 on August 28, 2011, 06:45:20 AM
I am having a TIGHT time right now. My Plaquenil is is on the higher end of my insurance allowance. It's the generic, too. Do you think it would be okay to skip buying and taking it until Thursday?? I would take my last dose, until then, today SUNDAY evening....

CAT...(Thanks, and Sorry to be so silly...I've never had to do this before)
Title: Re: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: anita on August 28, 2011, 06:50:53 AM
Your doctor would be best to advise, but plaquenil has a half life of 60-90 days so it won't leave your system during the short peroid you'll be off.  Personally, I think you'll be fine.
Title: Re: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: waterbby100 on August 28, 2011, 07:00:21 AM
I get my Plaquenil at Sam's club and it costs me $4 for a months worth. I think that it would be the same at Walmart too. From what I understand about Plaquenil is it takes a long time to build up in your system and a long time to get out of your system.

Boy I sure understand the financial hardships....I hope it passes quickly for you.

Kimber
Title: Re: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: Nancy60 on August 28, 2011, 07:45:50 AM
Plaquenil has a generic (Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate) that is inexpensive.  another poster mentioned Sams Club and Walmart's $4 prescriptions and I think other stores have this now too (Target, Walgreens etc...)  check the stores in your area, many of them do this now.

My Pharmacy sold me a weeks worth of a med to tide me over until I got paid and could get the remainder of the prescription. 

Plaquenil does stay in your system for quite awhile, but best to double check with your doctor.

Nancy
Title: Re: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: Sooki on August 28, 2011, 08:29:02 AM
Most pharmacists will sell you a very small amount to last a few days.  My pharmacist (at Costco) always offers this when I start a new med, especially if it's expensive. 
Title: Re: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: Scottietottie on August 28, 2011, 08:45:52 AM
Hi  :)

Plaquenil is one of the meds you can stop without tapering down from it and you are unlikely to notice a difference between a Sunday and  Thursday. I've been told to stop it a couple of times when i've been given antibiotics and have always managed to stop and start without difficulty.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: gurs on August 28, 2011, 10:00:53 AM
just hope it doesnt send you into a flare...ask the pharmacist if they can extend a few?

gursie
Title: Re: Can I skip Plaquenil until payday??
Post by: bigb00 on August 29, 2011, 09:13:19 PM
sometimes i get sick with the flu or something and dont take plaquenil for a few days / a week because it's just a waste, doesn't send me in a flare and i haven't noticed a difference