Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: Enjoy Your Day on April 04, 2011, 12:39:34 PM

Title: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: Enjoy Your Day on April 04, 2011, 12:39:34 PM
Thank you in advance for help.  I'm exhausted already from joining so please forgive this brief and direct hello/question.  Rheumatologist at last follow up two weeks ago noted enlarged glands and lymph in neck. Two dyas later I got a head cold.  The past two weeks have been progressively worse, I now have earache, loss of voice/hoarseness, congestion/runny nose, and beginning of coughing up phlegm.  Is it doctor visit and antibiotic time?  I am used to letting colds run their course but my immune system had been acting up even before this cold and I am concerned about letting this get out of hand. I' m on so many different meds right now I really don't want to add anymore.  Suggestions anyone?

Current meds include cymbalta, lyrica, opana er, nucynta, vimovo, amrix, maxalt/fiorecet, and Prozac, Lotomax, restatis
Diax: sjogrens,  peripheral neuropathy, raynauds, occipital neuralgia, fibromyalgia.  Other organ and tissue involvement currently being investigated.   
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: Joe S. on April 04, 2011, 02:00:13 PM
It sounds like you have an infection that should be treated.  Some of us have posted what we are taking in our signatures to help others. I am into alternative therapies as you can see by my signature. Try wearing a mumps scarf over you head.
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: Jellyb on April 04, 2011, 02:02:26 PM
Hi there, i am so sorry to hear how ill you are. I always think its better to be safe and call the doctor. Even if it is just leaving a message with the nurse and let them decide if you need to be seen. You have been sick a long time and you might have developed a secondary infection or not. But i think you should fire off a phone call to the doc.
Feel better soon.
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: Joe S. on April 04, 2011, 02:04:12 PM
I am sorry I forgot my manners. Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of information here.
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: newhorizons on April 04, 2011, 03:52:17 PM
Welcome aboard, Enjoy Your Day,      Google Medline Plus and search the expectorant, named Guaifenesin.

My Duke rheumy mentioned it to me over 10 yrs ago and have used it when feel mucus getting thicker... Sure helps clear 'mountains' of mucus!!!!

Am having flare and am taking 400 mg morning and night.

As you research you will discover this makes up a large portion of some of the Robitussin products that are over the counter.

LOL, Joy
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: Blue Hydrangea on April 04, 2011, 05:09:57 PM
I'd see a doctor.  I'm a newbie to Sjogren's but for the last two years I've noticed that I've gotten a cold that I thought would go away, turned into upper respiratory infection and it took in both cases two courses of different antibiotics to finally clear it up.  Just when I'd think it was going away it would come back.  I read this can happen with Sjogren's because of the dry nasal passages.  I'm no longer going to wait to see a dr. when I get sick now that I know this.

Good luck!
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: hootyhu1 on April 04, 2011, 06:36:25 PM
Welcome!  I would call the doc, I had a cold that turned into bronchitis VERY fast! It is better to be safe then sorry. I hope you feel better soon!-hootyhu
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: Lauralou on April 04, 2011, 07:23:27 PM
I'd say call the doc too. I think with any AI any kind of bug or virus can turn into something worse. I'm new to the AI world, but living with my mom who has rheumatoid arthritis, if it was her turn to get the crud she got it so much worse.  I'm learning not to be so stubborn and not waiting 3 weeks to go to the doc with a nasty bug.
Title: Re: Newbie to site, Newbie to Sjogrens, very bad cold, need suggestions???
Post by: Enjoy Your Day on April 05, 2011, 11:11:28 AM
Wow! I feel lucky to have found this site. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  Went to doc today got a script for antibiotics (Levaquin) I did have an ear and throat infection. Also my lymph nodes under my arm, in the back of my neck, and in my forearms are swollen and hurt like the dickens.  I'm guessing that's normal??? Taking the suggested guaifenesin someone on this site talked about (checked with doc said OK) and now the pressure in my face, head and chest are easing up.
Thank you all and Enjoy Your Day the way that makes you feel good:)