Sjogrens World Forums

Sjogrens Topics => Living With Sjogren's => Topic started by: shortstuff on December 11, 2010, 11:34:13 AM

Title: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: shortstuff on December 11, 2010, 11:34:13 AM
Im' heading into my 5th month on Plaquenil and still feel like doodoo every morning.  It often feels like my head is in a fog and someone hit me with shovels on the back of my neck and shoulders.  Takes me 30 minutes to feel my way into the day.  I'm also starting to wonder if I may have a bit of fibromyalgia.  Still trying to hope that Plaquenil will make this somehow a little better......my kids need a mom who's happy to see them when they wake up for a change!
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Reanne on December 11, 2010, 11:38:32 AM
Some, not like I wanted, but it did help with pain.
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Blue Kat on December 11, 2010, 11:38:56 AM
It did help mine, although it took almost six months to kick in. 
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Kerrikins on December 11, 2010, 11:49:19 AM
Shortstuff, I have been on plaquenil for 6 months as well and I feel the same as you. I wake up with the neck, shoulder and back pain (well, not that I ever get any sleep...) but mine actually never goes away, it gets worse and I get a headache every afternoon. I'm wondering if the Plaq itself could be causing this, since I didnt have this problem before the summer. Either that or maybe I am developing FM as well....anyhow, the plaquenil has helped my joint pain but after 6 months I have more fatigue, muscle pain and overall discomfort than I did before. For the past month I haven't been able to hold my arms over my head for more than a few seconds due to the pain. I'm hoping the rheum will help me when I go in Jan.
Kerrikins
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Shani on December 11, 2010, 11:50:24 AM
The Plaquenil sadly didn't reduce or help my fatigue
It did help with mouthsores and my rashes although.
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: amberjolie1 on December 11, 2010, 11:57:03 AM
I didn't notice any change with it at all, either with fatigue or joint pain.
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Katybarstool on December 11, 2010, 12:14:21 PM
Plaquenil has changed my life! I've been taking it almost 6 months now, and my quality of life is so much better than it was. I still have days when I need a nap (like today), but generally, I can stay awake all day.

Kathyx
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: LizPetillo on December 11, 2010, 12:33:25 PM
- It helped with the fatigue.  Still get it but not nearly as bad.
- It helped with the strange rashes.  Still get some but not nearly as bad.
- It helped with the mouth dryness.  Still have it a bunch but usually not as bad.
- It helped with the knee pain.  HUGE difference.
- It helped with the tongue neuropathy.  HUGE difference.

Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: DragonflyC on December 11, 2010, 01:33:44 PM
I has helped me a great deal.

When I'm in a flare, though, the fatigue is overwhelming and nothing helps except prednisone.  If you can handle it (most can but some can't), a short course of a low dose of prednisone or a Medrol pack might help.
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Patze on December 11, 2010, 02:43:16 PM
Yep, I'm another one it's helped, but it took almost six months to kick in (I now split the dosage and take with food).


Patze
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Scottietottie on December 11, 2010, 05:20:34 PM
Hi  :)

I think that Plaquenil helped me with fatigue althjough I can still sleep for 12 hours straight at a weekend.

200mg Plaq didn't help - 400md did.  It took at least 6 months for me to notice a difference.

Taking thyroid meds as well may have helped in my case - but I think it helped more with depression.

I still don't have the energy that I feel I should have - but I'm coping better with what I've got.

Take care - Scottie  :)
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Karen on December 11, 2010, 05:32:33 PM
Plaquenil worked for me, but it took several months for me to kick in for me to notice a difference.
Karen
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: lindaneall on December 11, 2010, 07:17:28 PM

I was on 200 mg. (2 times/day) for 8 months and didn't notice it helping the fatigue at all.
Title: Re: Did Plaquenil help your fatigue?
Post by: Meld256 on December 11, 2010, 11:30:42 PM
oh, shortstuff

I understand the waking up feeling as if your shoulders/ neck have been beaten up overnight. (: My arms also feel like there are 20 lb. weights hanging from them. Take me hours to get moving, so much so that I sometimes hate going to bed since I know I'll feel like "doodoo" when I wake.

I hope you are able to get some relief!

Seems like the responses are really varied. A good variety of "didn't help", "helped somewhat" and "really helped in certain areas". I'm excited about what you say, LizPetillo, about the HUGE difference in the knee pain; that's really my worst symptom (at least for the time being). I'm not able to do much of anything without my knees swelling and really hurting. That's with the Relafen generic and trazodone.

I plan to talk with my PCP about Plaquenil at my next appt.
Have a good weekend, all.
Blessings,
Melinda