Author Topic: Proud of Myself  (Read 2798 times)

wordnerd

Proud of Myself
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:18:59 AM »
I like to joke that I'm the busiest sick person I know.  Between the 2 games I'm developing, 2 blogs I write, my novel, 5+ websites I maintain, etc I barely find time to REST.  I "work" about 14 hours a day at my computer seven days a week.  Sure its all while laying in bed, but even so I'm kinda a workaholic.  I'm really bad at taking it easy and have to make a concerted effort.  But today I just took the day off and needle pointed while listening to music all day.  Then I scrapbooked for a while.  Now I'm going to try agan go to sleep "early" (for me).  I'm really proud of myself for not letting my compulsion to "work" get the best of me today.

I hope the rest will do me some good... I'm wondering if how much I do is contributing to how sick I've been lately... if so resting more should help.  I'm going to try and force myself to try this resting thing more often and see if it makes a difference in how I feel.

Just wanted to share!

<3 Lauren

genko_b

Re: Proud of Myself
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:53:32 AM »
Mixing your life up a bit is a great idea - adding rest to a busy schedule and adding activities to a lazy one helps to broaden how we see things. I particularly find when I''m on the computer (and I love being on the computer) that my mind is not as free to roam and discover as when I'm doing something physical like weeding or creating like practicing tea ceremony. Congratulations to you for making a point of doing something different I know how easy it is to get stuck at the computer screen and just check one more thing on one more website.

Genko

Poochie

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »
Good to hear you have a found a way to relax.  I think it really does more than all the medications at times.

I know since I retired from my duties here at Sjogren's World, I've involved myself with so many things.  I really don't have time to think about being ill.  I'm knitting again, donating the items to the hospital Preemie unit, Salvation Army, Rescue Mission and putting some things in the shop at the Farmer's Market. 

I know I feel so much better emotionally.  Now if I could just convince "Fred" (my neuropathy) to let me walk and move about better, I'd be happy as a clam. 

Take care Laura, and I hope this new venture brings you lots peace.

Pooh

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »
"I hope the rest will do me some good... I'm wondering if how much I do is contributing to how sick I've been lately... if so resting more should help.  I'm going to try and force myself to try this resting thing more often and see if it makes a difference in how I feel."

Im glad that you have found some rest to be so helpful Lauren.....I think you should keep up this" resting thing" at least some of the time. All work and no rest will surely make us not feel so well......and our bodies end up flaring.

Thanks for sharing your good day with us!

harrigan

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
I'm glad you had a 'different' day today Lauren - it sounds like the change did you good.  I think when you don't go out to work, it still does you good to have a 'weekend' of some sort where you change the routine, for all sorts of reasons.

I just had a workplace assessment and the Occupational Health lady was horrified at all the laptop hours I spend planning, researching, downloading resources, online marking etc (and that's without all the fun stuff I didn't tell her about!)  She said laptops are so bad for posture and RSI as the screen is several inches too low, there is no wrist support, the keyboard is usually too far away - and much more!

I'd have never known all this. It may be worth considering whether spending so much time online is exacerbating your problems Lauren.  She is recommending a docking station, lumber support chair, separate keyboard and mouse, gel wrist supports, anti glare screen and other things I can't remember.  I'm waiting for the report then will see what the response at school is.

The OH lady also told me about Access to Work who will assess the requirements of the job against your particular needs.  For me, changes to the school day have been so hard to adjust to the past few weeks.  30 mins lunch break (effectively 20) means barely time to visit the loo ,wash hands and eat half a sandwhich.  The canteen facilities are ina separate block so it is too far to rush over to.  Might be worth a thought for anyone else who is trying to manage work with their needs.  It doesn't have to mean giving up work. 

So glad you are still finding the strength to be so creative Lauren, and good to catch up with your news.  XX Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.