Author Topic: You guys are NOT going to believe this....  (Read 5234 times)

jordozmom

You guys are NOT going to believe this....
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
I...AM...FURIOUS!!!  I went to my rheumy today and you will not believe what that man said to me.  He asked me what I expected from my appointment - that I was going to come there and there was a "magic pill" that he could give me?!  CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!  Then I got a lecture on how there is no cure for Sjogren's and that he can only treat the symptoms.  He said he was doing his part and that he sits there and listens to my [a-hem]...."issues" and then he treats the symptoms but he only has so many treatment options and that is the best that he can do.  I am furious.  I am LIVID.  I don't know what happened - if this guy was having a bad day or what - but I am just ticked off!!!!  WHAT A JERK!!!  You know, for years now I have gotten the feeling that maybe I was bothering him with my appointments - like maybe I just wasn't sick enough for him.  And before I have caught him contridicting what he has said in previous appointments but I thought "Well, maybe I misunderstood him or something."  But I've been taking Rich to my past few appointments with me and he even said the same thing - that is not what he said before.  I am half tempted to file a complaint agaist this guy!!  I am CERTAINLY not going back to him!!!!  !@#$%  Look, Buddy - like I don't have enough problems with this disease - the LAST thing I need is some spoiled doctor having a fit on me!!!  I went to him for treatment AND for compassion and understanding.  UNFORTUNATELY, these jerks stand between us and our treatment and we depend on them to help us, well guess what, they stink at it!!!!  How about you just give me your little RX pad and let me diagnose myself!!!  I get more out of the web than I get from our appointments, you BONEHEAD!!!
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA, peripheral neuropathy, COPD, RLS, leaky heart valve (caused by SJS), Lichen Sclerosis.
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12

roetta

Re: You guys are NOT going to believe this....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »
I think we are seeing the same doctor, well except for the fact that mine is a woman. But every time I ask her anything she either tells me it's not related to Sjogren's or that it's not her specialty. Ok, I get that it's not your specialty but you are supposed to be the one treating my Autoimmune disease, so shouldn't you maybe, oh I don't know, read some research or something from time to time.

I have learned more from this discussion board and my own limited research than I've ever learned from her.

Am in the process of looking for a new rheumatologist now.

Bernice

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
Wow! What a J E R K !

>>>>>FLASHBACKS!!<<<<<<<

I guess it's because I have had similar experiences I always go with the hopes of a 'good' meeting, but I have most certainly learned over the years to be prepared JUST IN CASE! I always keep that crazed other side of me in the bag, unless she's needed! And believe you me she has sure had to come out with that "looka here" look and tone, that seems to shock most of them back into reality at least long enough for US to finish on a better note!

Some of them are so arrogant they know you need their help so will try to talk down to ya! Well I know on my brain fog days I need special patience so I let them know upfront what is happening here, but when they start this crap l let them know I am not stupid, but I am having a problem, a problem that is associated with the very issue I'm here to see YOU for! So work with it, but SLOWER! JUST DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE I'M STUPID OR SOMETHING!

Girl take a DEEP BREATH and calm down, don't allow this J E R K  to make you sick!
Bernice

Epson

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
How refreshing, a doctor who is at least honest, now you know where you stand, whether you like what he said or not.

Bernice

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »
Epson,
Yes! It is a good thing for them to be upfront and honest, in fact just yesterday I had one tell me I may not LIKE what he was about to tell me,BUT he was going to tell me the truth ANYWAY! I loved it, had no problem with it. BUT you know when someone is being rude and condescending with you. And that is NEVER REFRESHING!

beverly jane

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
jordozmom
     Im so terrable sorry you had that  happen. You go to doctor with hope. ( Yes Doc be honest, but dont stomp on us when we are down. )
     You wont ever here anyone here put you down or discourage you..  Maybe your next rheumy will be more understanding that it takes more  then meds and some book learning to be a doctor.  What horrable bedside  manner.
 (((((((((((((((((jordozmom)))))))))))))))))
                              Bev

Nancy5217

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »
I think we are seeing the same doctor, well except for the fact that mine is a woman. But every time I ask her anything she either tells me it's not related to Sjogren's or that it's not her specialty. Ok, I get that it's not your specialty but you are supposed to be the one treating my Autoimmune disease, so shouldn't you maybe, oh I don't know, read some research or something from time to time.

I have learned more from this discussion board and my own limited research than I've ever learned from her.

Am in the process of looking for a new rheumatologist now.

Thats is why I have been on a waiting list for a new Dr. I hope I am not putting too much faith in a new one. I seriously think that this disease should be treated by someone other than a Rheumy. But I am confused as to who?

Jo Anne

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:56:23 PM »
Hi jordozmom,

I am so sorry to hear that you were treated this way. There seems to be so many bad doctors out there but don't let that discourage you from seeking help for your Sjogrens.  We really need more websites that patients can do to and rate their doctors so everyone can know which doctors they shouldn't waste their time on. Because that is the worst thing, how much time we waste on searching for a good doctor. I wish you luck in finding a good doctor and just know that we are always here for you!  :)

Jo Anne

jordozmom

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
Oh you guys - you are all so fantastic.  I am so sorry for such a blunt note, but I was just so - oh, I don't know hurt, angry, crushed, etc., etc.  I should have known years ago that I needed to find a new doctor.  I remember about 6 or 7 years ago I was having a flare and went to see him and he said I should take time off from work and rest.  I told him that it probably wasn't possible because work was so busy.  He looked at my file and said, "Why - you're just a secretary?"  I was floored! I said, "Excuse me?"  He said that it wasn't like I was a CEO or something and that they needed me there every single day to make business decisions for the entire company.  Can you believe that?  My girlfriend (who happens to be a secretary in a doctor's office) said to ask him if he tells his secretary that.  When she's sick does he just say don't worry about being there because she's not a CEO (or another "important" person like...say, a doctor).  Honestly, I know I should have changed drs a long time ago, but I've never been this bad before.  Before I only had to see him every 6 mos or so to get my RX's refilled, so I figured I could tolerate him twice a year.  Today was just unbelievable.  Bottom line, too, is that he thinks it is depression/anxiety.  I tell ya, that is why half the time I don't like to tell people I'm on Lexapro.  People try to act like there is no stigma attached to it and that is just bolonie!!!  You know, before they diagnosed me I was going to the doc over and over complaining about fatigue and illness (by then I was a stick I was so thin) and they just sent me off with a box of prozac and said I had the "baby blues" from having my son.  I kept telling them that I wasn't depressed, I was just SO TIRED!  It wasn't until I was in the hospital paralyzed that they took it seriously.  The truth of the matter is that none of these people know what's going on.  I would have loved for him to be honest, but this wasn't just about being frank, he was obviously frustrated and obviously not willing to go above and beyond his medical training to see if WE could find some answers.  No thinking outside the box. All textbook. He was throwing up his hands and saying "What do you want from me?!"  Well, it looks like I am looking for a new rheumy.  Wish me duck (quack).  
SJS, Raynauds, Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis, RA, peripheral neuropathy, COPD, RLS, leaky heart valve (caused by SJS), Lichen Sclerosis.
Plaquenil, Salagen, Sodium Bicarb, Klor-Con, Ambien, Methotrexate, COQ-10, VitD, Multivitamin, Omega 3, B12

Patze

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »
Hi jordozmom,

Are you sure we don't have the same rheumy?  I've complained of mine several times and I still wonder why I still see the guy?  It's sure not because he's really decent to me.  ::)  Well, at least these days he's a bit nicer, a bit kinder than he ever was - guess being sero negative kind of puts him off or something, he seems to be happier when he can do something other than the waiting game (he's not a very patient kind of doctor I guess).

Do you have a major medical facility near you?  Or maybe a teaching hospital?  Those tend to attract the cutting edge doctors, so they are a good place to start.  If you let us know the general area you're in, maybe one of the members can pass on a name or two for you to try.

Hang in there and don't let him or any doctor define who you are, you deserve the same respect just like any other patient.

Feel free to rant as much as you want, shoot, I've been guilty of that myself from time to time, okay, several times (tough crowd around here! ;) :D).

Take care -

Patze

Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:50:03 PM »
 Wish me duck (quack).  

I don't know, why a duck? (Marx Brothers joke).

Quack Quack -

Seriously, good luck in finding someone who's better to deal with.  Don't blow this guy off til you've got a decent replacement if he's at least adequate from a medical perspective, if not from a personal perspective. Sadly there are many doctors who don't have great people skills. Search for one who is - you are totally worth it!
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

ruby52

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »
I'm sorry you were treated so unkindly.He's not a Dr. you should see again.He could be upfront with you in a more compassionate way.If you didn't agree with his opinion your free to get another.To me what he said seems to be true at least.I have learned to not bring up a list of symptoms because I don't want a battery of tests that lead to no answers.I just don't think they have enough knowledge on AI illnesses.It's scary to try and figure out symptoms you're having that do have an answer and could be serious if not treated.It's added stress.This is why you need a good Dr. you can trust and confide in and know he'll be respectful and honest.They are out there keep looking and good luck.
                                                                              Ruby

Billydude

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »
I think its time we start interviewing our doctors like we are doing THEM a favor by coming to them.   Ask them what their expertise is in,  what you can expect from them,  are they easilly availible to you in a time of need,  and more importantly what their experience is in treating Sjogrens.    I'm so tired of arrogant doctors who are more impressed by their own knowledge and have no listening skills at all.

Patze

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 05:23:24 AM »
Amen brother, amen.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

gurs

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 05:26:43 AM »
Anyone who has a rheumy like yours needs to change.....maybe its a sign that now is the time, and hopefully you can find one at least more sympathetic. They dont have to have all the answers, but at least a good bedside manner. I went to John Hopkins years ago and the top doc told me to get some more sleep? I cried as soon as I left his office.
Im lucky to have have found my rheumy, who has been practicing for 30 years, and she also has Sjogrens. She is willing to explore every treatment option available.
Not sure what Im going to do when she retires....

We sure need some good doc's out there.  Good luck to you though..

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements