Author Topic: 'Mild' swine 'flu?  (Read 3244 times)

Katybarstool

'Mild' swine 'flu?
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Hi

I know that many of us have been worryng about the wine flu, and that we are at a higher risk then people without auto-immune conditions if we get it, so I just wanted to share this with you.

On Sunday afternoon, the overwhelming tiredness it me. I thought it was a flare, but as the day went on, I began feeling very hot and had a terriible headache and all my bones were aching. Monday morning, I showered and got ready for work, but felt too dizzy to go, and I was still very hot and headachey, so I went back to bed. I stayed there more or less all day, and my throat was burning. By the evening, we knew it was not 'just' a flare, so checked out with the flu line, and they said it sounded like I'd caught it, and needed Tamiflu.

Tuesday, I woke up feeling pretty much the same. I contacted my youngest son to ask him to get me the Tamiflu, and found out that his partner and my one year old grandaughter also had similar symptoms, and had been advised to get the Tamiflu too. Slept much of Tuesday and awoke this morning feeling a bit more human. I've even got dressed and despite still having a temp and sore throat, I'm feeling much better.

I know that it's had to diagnose, but apart from the cough, I've had most of the symptoms, and I can say, I've felt bad  for a  couple of days, but certainly nothing like I expected. I have asthma and bronchiectasis, so expected the worst, but to date, my chest is fine.

Sarah is similar to me, although she doesn't have any underlying conditions. The baby is full of cold and cough, but is also teething, poor child, so that's not helping.  Anyway, I just wanted to say, like most people, mine seems to have been a 'mild' case, so try not to worry too much as, even if you get it, it's not inevitable you will be seriously ill. (Knock on wood).

Kathyx     

Chickpea

Re: 'Mild' swine 'flu?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
Hi Kathy

What a positive post!  Thanks for letting us know what's been happening with you.  In all the panic about swine flu we're probably forgetting that most people will have very mild doses of it.  I suppose the main problem is when people with mild swine flu don't take it seriously and just carry on as normal, and then infect others. 

It sounds as though you did everything right: resting, getting advice, letting your body mend itself.  How did you react to the Tamiflu?  Did it make you nauseous?

I hope you're feeling better really soon.

Take care of your dear self - Chickpea

fluffiebunnie

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
I too am thankful for your positive post.. swine flu sounds so scary, but you have put it into perspective.  I hope you get well soon x

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
  So glad to hear you only had a mild attack Kathy, although I still bet it was quite scary anyway!

It is encouraging tho' to hear of people like you , as you have had rather a lot going on in your life this past year to deal with ,
             yet you got this flu only mildly.

I'd  imagined that if anyone with this SS caught this flu they would probably have ended up in hospital..
                     So thanks for the happy outcome,  bless you Dolly.

Katybarstool

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
Chickpea

The Tamiflu has been fine.After the first dose I had abdominal cramps and some nausau. Since theb, I've been fine.

Thank you for validating that I did the right thing. Although I knew I wasn't well enough to go to work, I did'nt know that I was unwell enough for it to be the swine flu, until I sought advice from the 'flu line. I thinkyou are right, it's so important to rest. That's the only way to get over it as quickly as possible.

Just a point of interest. I work inthe voluntary sector, who were absolutely fine about my not going in - in fact they said they would be cross, had I gone in and spread it. Sarah works for a large chemist chain, who were really nasty with her - even though the liklihood is that she caught it from a customer. The common denominator for the two of us is that we were at a party together the day before the symptoms showed.

Will let you know how it goes over the next few days.

Just

jaygee

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing ok - and thanks for letting us know  :)    xx

kindandcaring

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 04:42:43 PM »
Good tohear you are on the mend. !

How soon after the symptoms did you take the Tamiflu ?

Im sure the Tamiflu helped me...I dont recall nausea..however I remember the Doc saying it can cause a little.

Well done for reacting quickly.

All my best

Katybarstool

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 01:12:42 AM »
Hi K & C

It was probably about 36 hours after the symptoms first appeared, so we got in pretty quick. How's your chest now?

Kathyx

kindandcaring

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:38 AM »
Hi Kathy

36 hours is really good well done!...I noticed as soon as I had a Tamiflu tablet my fever abated and that was post 48hrs.

Ive still got a chest infection issue and although Ive got a Doc booked for next Tuesday I am debating should I try and get in earlier...perhaps I need some stronger Antibiotics.

Cheers