Author Topic: UPDATED: Kidney infection!  (Read 14377 times)

wordnerd

UPDATED: Kidney infection!
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:28:18 AM »
So I woke up last night 3 times with horrible penetrating lower back/side pain which barely improved w/ morphine.  It feels more or less like past double kidney infections.  Hoping that it would go away cause it was muscular and not wanting to run off to the doctor at the first sign of trouble, I've waited out the pain all day and evening.  Still here.  If its still here in the morning I will call the doctor.  Bleh.

Please don't let it be a kidney infection!  I've never had a kidney infection and NOT ended up in the hospital for a month minimum!  Hopefully I'm worrying for nothing.  But I'm on tons of immunosuppressants especially the Rituxan.  This sucks!

Think good thoughts for me please!

<3 Lauren
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:14:55 PM by wordnerd »

Chickpea

Re: Please don't let it be a kidney infection!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:10:09 AM »
Hi Lauren

Hope you had a good night's sleep and the pain is a little better this morning.  You certainly don't want another kidney infection or more time in hospital.

Sending you love and good thoughts - Chickpea

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:48:44 AM »
Hey Word,

Love, Hugs, Good thought and..... a Prayer.

Have you seen the most recent Harry Potter I know how you like that guy.....
If you haven't. And it is kidney infection.
You might want to see Harry on the way to the Dr.
I have heard that it is the best one so far.  :)

kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:10:31 PM »
word, Drink water!!! Hoping that it isn't a kidney infection. Let us know how things go. Irish ;D

wordnerd

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:49:17 PM »
Well it was worse today so my doctor just called in antibiotics presuming that its a kidney infection.  If its not better in a few days I'll have to go to the doctor.  In a lot of extra pain.  Not fun.

Victoria05202000

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:49:48 AM »
Word,

So sorry for all your complications.  I hope you feel better soon.

Take Care!
Vicky

wordnerd

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:40:16 AM »
Thanks Vicky!

Didn't sleep much for the 3rd night in a row due to the pain.  I keep waking up every 3 hours when my break through pain meds would wear off.  I'm really paranoid I'm going to end up in the hospital again.  Every kidney infection I've ever had has resulted in at least 4 weeks hospitalization.

Anyway I'll keep you posted!

<3 Lauren

wordnerd

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »
So since my doctor only put me on a 3 day course of antibiotics to begin with and my last day is tomorrow and I'm worse not better, I called my doc today and let him know that I'm still having horrible side and back pain and now it really hurts to pee.  So he called in more antibiotics to continue through the weekend and I get to drive into the city to see him Monday afternoon.

He is awesome though.  He said that if things got worse over the weekend to call because he would be around.  I love my new doctor which is a small consolation.

I'm still worried this isn't improving and that I'll end up needing IV antibiotics in the hospital again.  Hopefully its just too early to be better yet.

I think I'm just paranoid about the hospital thing because of past experience.

I really need some sleep tonight but the pain just won't subside.

I'm feeling kinda sorry for myself.  I never feel sorry for myself but I just can't help it for some reason.  I hate feeling sorry for myself.  I almost feel like a failure for succumbing to self pity :(  I'm probably being way to hard on myself, but that's typical.

Sigh.

<3 Lauren

Bernice

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »
Word,

Don't wait around too long, waiting is what normally causes the hospital stay! I don't know about you, but my fingers and toes ALWAYS hurt with kidney infections, that's mt biggest tell-tell sign.  Because everybody is different, this just may be how my body reacts. I spent so much of my childhood with kidney problems that I don't mistake them, I know them from any other pains I may have. Sometimes I get chills and fevers too.

Don't wait too long! Yes! DO DRINK! DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!!

Po Thing!  :'( :'(  Wishing you the best!

wordnerd

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 01:55:44 AM »
Went back to the doctor again today.  He changed up my antibiotic to Levoquin.  He said that if I'm not feeling better in 24 to 48 hours I'll probably need either IV antibiotics or to be hospitalized.  Also my potassium was dangerously low, so he started me on a potassium supplement.  I go back Wednesday to reassess the situation and decide if I'm going to need more aggressive treatment.

I have a very bad feeling I'm going to end up in the hospital again, but I've kinda resigned myself to whatever is going to happen.  Obviously I can't control whether the antibiotic works or not.  And stressing about it certainly isn't going to make me feel better.

I just wish I could get some better sleep.  The pain has been really interfering, but my doctor also increased my pain meds for the time being so many I'll be able to sleep without waking up in pain tonight.  Anyway long past time for bed...

<3 Lauren

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:45:19 AM »
Hi Lauren  :)

I do hope the Levoquin works without you being hospitalised again. If you have to be - maybe it won't be for so long because the antibiotics have been started.
You're so right about the stress. If you do need to go in - you just have to hang on to the fact that you're going to feel better as a result!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Hope that you can get some help from the Levoquin. It is a strong med, but hard to tell if it will help or not. Have you had a urine culture and sensitivity--I assume so!!!

I guess it would be interesting to know if the minute you get a twinge you get to the doctor---hard to tell if this would keep you out of the hospital or not. So many bacteria require IV administration these days. Better pack your suit case so you are ready. Sometimes packing the suitcase keeps you out of the hospital as not packing results in admit. Murphys law I believe. By the way, you are allowed to feel sorry for yourself off and on--we all do the best job of this cause it is in our job description.  ;DIrish

jaygee

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »
Oh poor you!   I hope they can fix you up quickly.  Being without sleep is bad enough, withough being so unwell.  Hope you are feeling better very, very soon. xx

genko_b

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 06:56:58 PM »
Hi Lauren:

Check in with us when you can. I hope you are able to get some sleep and things start to turn around.

Genko

wordnerd

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
So I'm at the ER waiting to be admitted for at least three days of IV antibiotics :(