Author Topic: CAN WE DONATE BLOOD??  (Read 20860 times)

Shari

Re: CAN WE DONATE BLOOD??
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 08:40:18 PM »
Interesting subject here that I truly wished had one firm answer as I do think it odd that each individual blood back could vary on what is acceptible.  That does not make sense to me and I would be hard pressed to take a chance on donating blood that has thhe potential of making anyone ill.  One necver knows who their blood will go to including children and those who may have allready suffered long with another illness.  I have an O - renewable supply of blood if it can be utilized.

I wondered the correlation between long term stress and illnesses...

Bernice

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
Shari,
I agree with you, it makes no sense unless it's got something to do with testing meaning maybe there has not been an real conscious whether or not autoimmune diseases can be passed on through blood OR that some are doing more thorough testing and others are not. Either way I agree at this point I will not donate, the thought of even possibly making someone else sick is more than I would want to live with. Unless like someone else said if person is already diagnosed with an autoimmune illness.

Has anyone heard of any clinical testing for SJS????  Where are our scientists on this, besides saying they don't know! THEY NEED TO BE ON THIS!

Bernice

tuckerdog

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
Rules for blood donations in the US are governed by the FDA.  In other countries the rules are different.  Many people with autoimmune diseases are disqualified based on the medications they take.  There is also a question that is asked - are you in good health?  If the answer to that is no, they don't let you donate.

Tuckerdog

SonyaR

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2009, 03:31:32 AM »
I was a regular blood donor at my place of work for 3 years.  About 5 years ago when I donated they were concerned about me being anemic and ran a second test on the pin prick blood before proceeding.  It came back fine and I went ahead and donated that day.  A few weeks later I got a letter stating I was no longer able to donate as I had a false positive reading for Hepatitis C.  This was 3 years prior to any symptoms of SjS.  I didn't even go to a Dr. for my complaints until this past December and was only diagnosed 3 months ago. 

Was disappointed to see the post regarding organ donation :(

Sonya

jade

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 05:01:05 AM »
hello everyone.  i know this is an old subject but wanted to share what i was just told.   i wanted to donate blood for the first time and called the carter blood care and i was told that auto immune disease does not automatically disqualify you from donating.  she said that there are a list of medications that if you are on them you will not be able to donate.  and we would have to see if our medications are listed on there.  and she said she is aware of sjogren's and it's not an automatic disqualifier. 

i agree with someone's post on here.  it seams like the life saving qualities of our organs and blood, i would imagine, would outweigh our sjogren's condition. 

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »
I know for a fact that one cannot continue to donate blood in the UK and I'm pretty sure they don't want our organs either. Actually I think I'm out of the agegroup they'll accept donations from now anyway.

I have my "Thankyou but no thank you any more" letter.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

navydad

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »
between Mayo and every other place,, they got enough of my blood to fill a tanker

newtosjs

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »
I read the Red Cross guidelines once and it said you had to be on no anti-malarials for 2 years before you could "consider" donation. I would think that would pretty well cancel out all of us on Plaquenil.

Funny off the track story. One hospital vist, my nurse came in with a pill cup and said "Here is your anti-malarial" as she was backing out the door as fast as she could. Didn't want to catch anything, still makes me laugh how stupid she was.

DragonflyC

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
Newtosjs,

The Red Cross requires people to wait 3 years after receiving treatment for malaria, which is different from waiting after taking anti-malarials. 

It really depends on the individual person and the organization collecting the blood: "According to the American Red Cross, while a diagnosis of lupus was at one time a disqualifier for the donation of blood, this is not longer the case. The Red Cross will allow those with lupus to donate even while taking such medications as Plaquenil and/or Corticosteroids. In contrast to the Red Cross, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will not accept blood donations from those with lupus." http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_empty.aspx?articleid=604&zoneid=76

Sjogren's is a sister to lupus (seen, in fact, as a type of lupus by many doctors), so the above applies to us, too.  That said, it's always good to check with your doctor and with the local blood donation organization. 

--C.

Lesleybird

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
  Here's the deal....Even if we gave blood with Sjogren's antibodies....SSA, and or SSB, there would only be a few of them and they would not be able to reproduce so the few antibodies would not be able to cause too much dammage. It is our immune system that keeps pumping out these antibodies all of the time that makes us sick, not just one days antibodies in less than 15 percent of our entire blood volume worth of these antibodies. The person receiving our pint of blood might even make antibodies to our antibodies.      Lesley

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
I haven't read all the posts on this thread so pardon me if I am repeating something.

I was told years ago when I wasn't feeling good not to give blood. I think that doc knew that I had some type of autoimmune disease but didn't know what. I have also heard that most people in this state can't give blood with autoimmune disease. I'm sure the meds have a lot to do with it.

The other thing is that it is hard on us. When we have autooimmune disease our body is working so hard to kill us off and the way I see it the minute any stressor such as donating blood sets us up for another flare or possibly infection or anemia. We are already suffering from fatigue so it doesn't make sense to subject ourselves to further stressors that will make our condition worse. If we want to "give" of ourselves there are other volunteer jobs that one could do to help us feel worthwhile and of intrinsic value. Irish ;D

DragonflyC

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 05:54:42 AM »
Great points, Irish!

I don't give blood for exactly that reason--I don't usually feel well.  I work at a school, though, so it's easy for me to pitch in during the annual blood drive here.  I help the kids hang posters advertising their blood drives, cover classes so that other teachers can give, and try to recruit adults from the community to come in and give.  I would imagine that it's just as easy to help out at community or church blood drives. 

inga

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
I think you would be putting others and yourself at risk.

If you are ill, why donate blood?  Donation is tough enough on healthy people! 

AAN is passed passively.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15306637

It is known that mother's pass on antibodies to their fetus.

I would rather not get blood from ill people, and would not consider giving mine to anybody.

genko_b

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
There is a minimum weight limit to donate in our state and I'm under it. But I can't imagine being able to give blood in any case since we need every drop of moisture in our bodies as it is.

Genko

Prairie Gal

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
Pre-SjS Dx, I gave blood for several years and then they asked if I'd donate platelets (aphersis).  I did that for several years; they said my blood showed I'd never had X virus (can't remember the name), so they could use it for babies.

When I got the SjS Dx, I told them.  They looked it up in their handy-dandy manual and said it was OK to continue to donate.  At my next appt. with my rheumy, I asked what he thought.  He said, "I wouldn't want it!"   I hadn't looked at it from the recipient's point of view.

On the other hand, there are lots of people with SjS walking around undiagnosed for years and donating blood -- as I did.  So I  quit worrying about whether my blood might have made somebody sick.   I did quit donating blood, even though I felt quite well for a couple of years after the Dx.