Author Topic: CAN WE DONATE BLOOD??  (Read 20813 times)

tuckerdog

Re: CAN WE DONATE BLOOD??
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »
Bernice,

He took mice and put them in a cage.  He dried the air (yes regular air) so that there was very low humidity - probably <5% and ran a fan on them - blowing the dry air.  No other stress - the blowing dry air was the stress.  I don't know how long it took to induce SJS in the mice.  I also think it is interesting that the disease was transfered to other mice by transfusion. 

Tuckerdog

Bernice

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 11:34:19 AM »
Tuckerdog,
Like I said before I am not the most wisest when it comes to sjogren's and a many other things, but I am not so sure this study was as successful as your doc. might think. Could it be that it was already in the blood, but did not show up in blood work UNTIL stress was induced?? I do realize you don't have all the answers or know the mind of your doc., BUT if what he is suggesting is possible, not only is it a virus, and one that can be transmitted through blood, BUT an AIR BORNE VIRUS!,  WOW!

I really hope he is not right!

tuckerdog

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
Bernice,

Nobody said anything about a virus.  The mice were a normal population before they were put under stress.  What the study suggests to me is that there is a lot more to this picture than we know and a lot more work is needed.  I have to wonder though about all of the young people who spend all day working on computers.  I was doing that for about 15 years before I became symptomatic.  I also gave lots of blood before DX so I have to wonder about that too.

Tuckerdog

Bernice

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 01:27:19 PM »
Tuckerdog,

I was just having some fun, hope I didn't upset you too much. I'm really just a very playful person that loves to laugh. I don't want to ever hurt or offend ANYONE! I just thought the mood needed to be lighten some.

But I am scared of the thought of his findings!

Tell your doc. thanks for at least having the gumption to TRY to come up with something! Most don't know, don't really wanna know!
PEACE & BE BLESSED!
Bernice

tuckerdog

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »
Bernice,

Not upset.  The Dr has been doing SJS research for 25 yrs.  What he has done is important.  Now he has a model for studying the autoimmune process.  I am hopeful that it will lead to a lot more knowledge, not just about SJS but about autoimmunity in general.

TD

Bernice

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 02:22:35 PM »
Tuckerdog,

GOOD! :-* :-* :-* :-* I KNOW it is very important and am VERY serious about thanking him! Tucker as I search for info. I find ALL saying the same, they don't know what causes it, so ANYONE WILLING to study, especially those that are not personally affected are very kind and important. Some doctors only want to know how to treat it, Many don't bother. Most are content just giving the answer they don't know what causes it. Very few take it upon themselves to search it out! So I am very appreciative!

Tuckerdog I do fear the thought that it is a virus, in fact a great many studies suggest this along with genetics, can't quite remember but some ...Barr virus. Anyone with the correct name please give answer.

I  am not in anyway thinking that it is as dreaded as HIV and I did not / still don't know the difference between a immune disease and an autoimmune disease, what is the difference?? When it comes to the medical field some things have to be spelled out for me!

Peace & Be Blessed!
Bernice

stillsguy

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
to linda

just to keep u on your toes, a slight, and humbly i might add correction. autoimmune hepatitis does not cause the body to attack liver cells. autoimmune hepatitis is the disease which expresses as a result of the body's own hare kare against aforementioned liver cells. long ago I spoke with a researcher an immunologist who tut-tutted the larger portion of the medical community who were blithely unaware that "the liver was the hot seat of immunolgy" a phrase which has stuck to me over the years. there are multiple reasons why any organ can come under auto assault, maybe we can explore this topic later....?
(and yes that particular hepatitis virus seems to be misgraded a C when it seems to deserve an A for effort considering all the diseases its being "associated" with...             

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/332125-overview

http://jrheum.org/content/early/2009/04/14/jrheum.080874.abstract

but in the devellopment of one's CTD's could a low-life term such as "coincidence " come into play? sorry if i'm suddenly vague... one question i ponder (sometimes) is this: of any given population of RA, SjS, Lupus etc patients what % were always going to express a ctd and also came across a bug that was thot to contribute in the development
of ctd? what if the bug remains undetected? does this explain any of the sero negative populations (or have the proper tests yet been developed to satisfactorily group them?)

stillsguy

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
 ... oops i pre-posted (and ladies i assure u ive never had that problem b4 hahah :D)

Patze

thanks 4 ur welcome and i shall post my story but sometime just bit later as itll prob b drawn out as it is rather longish boorish and at times ug-lee (and at other times quite laughable) and i feel like im posting too long already and "these things must be done delicately

bernice

thanks 4 ur welcome and, yes, i am in the medical field.... as a life long patient hahah (aren't we all tho... and who wouldnt love to b rid of this "association" once and for all ...

SLEEPY101

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 03:31:24 AM »
Hi,

Re: the blood doner question. Another thing to consider is what medications are to on? I went to the blood bank a few years ago and was refused because I take a steriod based inhaler for my asthma so it could also be possible that some of us should not donate blood due to the meds we were subcribed for SJS.

Stephanie

moonstarr

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 04:13:29 AM »
i went to give blood and to become bone marrowto due to being mixed race as they are always in need and was told that due to the sjs and my meds that i could not do either i was so gutted

SusanL

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 03:50:48 PM »
I've thought about donating too, but think it might be too risky for the person/s recieving blood or any of my organs.  I did state to my husband and daughter, one day when I'm taken home ..... I would like to have my organs donated to and only to Sjogren's research.    Let them take what they need and careully study everything; who knows, perhaps they (researchers) can use of these cells causing SS to test current drugs or other discoveries that will counteract the problem.    We can still donate to help people.    I wonder where one can sign up for such a cause?

SusanL

Bernice

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 08:08:03 PM »
Susanl,

That's a great idea! Never thought about that. I too wonder how to go about that.

Johnson

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
I was told it depended on the blood bank.  I know two people that were told they were permanently denied for different reasons.  (Totally different issues... one related to iron & the other a false positive to Hep.)  One of the people asked an explanation why at one place she's not even allowed & the other rec'd with open arms.  Basically she was just told that each blood bank has their own requirements.

My rheumotologist said I couldn't because of Hydroxocloriquine... so that was good enough for me.  It made me feel much worse before it made me feel better.  Someone who already went thru some other great stress, doesn't need to add that on.

I also heard that your organs are more likely to have infections too.  I will keep my organ donor sticker on though.  It just seems that would be situational & I certainly am not going to need them where I am going after I pass away anyway.

Joy Cox

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 06:21:21 PM »
Interesting Subject???? My husband had hepatitis a few years ago and we were dropped from the blood bank. Have discussed checking if I can donate and certainly will do so after this topic has come up on website as have friend with cancer who does not belong to blood bank  and has transfusions and they are not paid for by insurance. Is costing her many $$$$$$ out-of-pocket costs. Thanks for the ????? Joy

Bernice

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
Joy,
I noticed you said that your HUSBAND had hepatitis and they dropped "US" you both?? Why did both get dropped if only your husband ill.

Bernice