Author Topic: new sticky mouth  (Read 3837 times)

abbytuttut

new sticky mouth
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:34:02 PM »
hi

I've had dry mouth and dry eye symptoms for about 8 yrs but doctors just seemed to fob me off, i was diagnosed last yr with autoimmune hepatitis and then developed rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes.  it was at this point that they then diagnosed SS but again it doesn't seem to be a primary issue with the docs?

i think i am in a flare at the moment  with the SS (not on any medication for any of my conditions due to bad reactions to meds, due to start on something but not been decided by all my consultants yet!) I am sleeping for 12 -15 hours solid which isn't like me I'm an early bird that hates sleeping normally
 my eyes are constantly dry and itchy, blurred vision comes and goes throughout the day and the back of my eye feels like they are being drilled with a blunt drill.
the whole of my head and face hurt! my jaws feel like someone has hit me with a sledgehammer, my teeth feel like they are all about to fall out or are infected (dentist cant find anything wrong though?)
 the inside of my mouth is always sticky at the moment, (i get oral thrush too but this is different?)
has anyone else experienced this? how do you get rid of it?
Ive also got all the other symptoms ie..... cant speak due to mouth being dry and tongue being like leather, unable to eat due to throat being dry, nose is either very dry which makes breathing difficult or running like a leaking tap grrrrrr, cracks at corners of my mouth, blisters inside mouth, aches and pain in all my bones and joints and cramps or restless legs etc.....
The sticky mouth is my most annoying and embarrassing symptom at the moment, so if anyone has any ideas that would be helpful that would be great.
thanking you all in advance, i am off to read more of the forums (this in itself has been a mine of information)

Abby x

Poochie

Re: new sticky mouth
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
Hi Abby,
Welcome to Sjogren's World. 

You might try the Crystal Light Pink lemonade flavored hard candies.  I carry several of these in my pockets to use when I'm out with a friend and do a lot yakking. ;D  She always knows when I'm getting dry, my voice gets hoarse. 

Just about every room in my house has a Glad container with them in it.  There are other sugar free hard candies you can use but these are my favorites.  I'm sure the other members will be along to give you theirs.

Good luck with this, it's a real miserable side to Sjs,

Pooh

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:06:14 AM »
Hi Abby  :)

Welcome to Sjogren's world. Have your doctors prescribed anything for SjS? There are drugs which are meant to slow progression and there are also meds that stimulate saliva out there.

I always carry water. I try not to drink too much but I quite often take a mouthful and just hold it for a while. I also suck sugar free candies. I'm sure there are meds for eliminating thrush. It's miserable.

I hope you find the site useful.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »
Hi Abby and welcome to Sjogrens World!

I also usually have a piece of hard candy or sugar free gum on me and almost always s have something to drink close by as well!

I also use the prescription med salagen and it helps a lot with having more saliva...the results are almost immediate but they don't last for very long.... my doc says I can take up to 5 a day as needed ( I usually take around 3). The other medication that some here take to stimulate saliva is called Evoxac.

Have you tried any of the over the counter mouth products? You can find them in any department store with the toothpaste and mouthwash. A couple of the more common product names are Oasis as well as many different kinds of Biotene products.

Hope some of these suggestions help you! Let us know if you find something that works well for you!