Author Topic: I must be mad!  (Read 5821 times)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
I must be mad!
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »
Hi  :)

On Monday - I'm going away for a week.  I've been roped in by work to help with a residential.  2 of my colleagues have already gone and are camping for the weekend in the Lake District. (NW England)  They were going to be climbing mountains and things.  They are with an organisation who runs out door activities for people in the borough I live in.

On Monday they are packing up camp and moving to an old station house that is apprently now owned by the boy scouts. The outdoor people are still going to run daytime activities but will be leaving the group and 2 workers alone in the evenings. The two workers really decided that 3 or more would be better as the group we are working with are what is termed as 'high risk'. 4 have ADHD, all are troubled and one of the ones with ADHD has ODD as well. (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) Oh joy!

So I am driving up on Monday evening to join them. How I am going to cope with outdoor activities for the rest of the week remains a mystery. I did suggest that I just remain at base and peel potatoes but that apparently is not a good plan as cooking for themselves is all part of the residential experience.

I told the outdoor workers that I am NOT rock climbing but am prepared to take photos. What I make of mountain biking and canoeing remains to be seen. POOH - if you read this - I may be on a bike yet!  (I may also have another impossible encounter with a wetsuit. I'm not sure) I don't know exactly what the programme is yet.  Roll on next Friday!!

The weather is set to be good, which I guess is something. Keeping the little darlings occupied in the evening is going to be fun too. The station is surrounded by fields but we are apparently not allowed in them. Wonderful!  :-\ We can stick to footpaths though but can't let them loose to play football. I hope the daytimes tire them out. For those who don't know - the kids range from 13 - 15. There are 12 of them. (10 boys and 2 girls)

Wish me luck!   Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Patze

Re: I must be mad!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:31:25 PM »
Oh Scottie, that sounds like so much fun!  Take tons of pictures and do what you can, and you won't regret it!

Have lot's of fun and don't forget to post the details and the pictures!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

fluffiebunnie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:46:47 PM »
Hope you have a good time... no doubt you will sleep well after each day's activities  :D

Chickpea

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
Hi Scottie

I have to say that this is jaw-dropping news!  You are amazing ... and brave ... and possibly foolhardy!

Have a wonderful week and tell us all about it when you're back.

Take care - Chickpea

Katybarstool

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
Scottie

I agree - you must be mad! BUt I hope you enjoy it too. Be careful!!!!

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
Scottie,

The first thing to come to my mind was . . . I'm glad it's YOU and not ME going on this little adventure!!!   :o

Do you HAVE to go??  Is it a requirement of your job??  Isn't it lovely the things your job requires??   ::)

Good luck - I hope it turns out better than you are anticipating and you have a good time.  Tire the kids out so they will fall into bed in the evening.   ;D

Take care . . . let us know how it went when you get back.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

harrigan

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »
good luck Scottie - Say 'enough' when you need to but I'm sure it will be a really rewarding time.  Thinking of you and looking forward to hearing your news when you are back and rested again.  XX ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:37:47 PM »
Oh Scottie,

I just think you are soo cool. What you do , working with those kids is Heroic.

I hope you have fun. But I am sure there will be unique situations in your adventure.

Let us know how it goes.

kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Poochie

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Oh Scottie, I'm afraid I have to agree with you.  YOU ARE MAD!!!   :D

I did these kind of things when I was younger but I couldn't and wouldn't do it now for all the money in China.  

Please do let me know if you get on a bike or into another wet suit.  I will be sure to pee before reading the account. :D :D  The last time it almost put me away laughing.  You really should write a book about your experiences with these kids.  

Take care and please be careful, we want to talk to you, not about you.   ;D

Hugs, Pooh

JannaLee

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »
I cannot imagine surviving such long hours of activity and mental/emotional alertness!

Scottie~ you are a better woman than I!  You are doing God's work.  I am so proud of you!

Janna

lynnmarie219

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 07:29:42 AM »
Oh Scottie....I am definitely sending you lots of positive vibes and good luck wishes! Just remember that when you have had to enough to go back to picture taking!

It does sound like fun though.....and being "mad" isn't the worst thing in the world!   ;D

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 09:57:58 AM »
 Ah Scottie I am soooooo envious .. It sounds such fun!

I love the outdoors , especially when it's warm, and next week promises good weather.

Please don't blame me tho' if it aint!    Pack the water proofs in case...

I can imagine you all sitting at night singing your heads off.    ENJOY!!

Take care, Dolly