Author Topic: Exercise  (Read 5402 times)

Katybarstool

Re: Exercise
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »
JJ

I understand your logic - if I can get even a few household chores done, I feel I've achieved a great deal. Today I had a 20 minute walk, and didn't need to lie down afterward! Now that, for me, is an achievement.

Kathyx

JJ

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 07:30:09 AM »
That is great Kathy...ya know I really try hard to try and get it pushed back..mind

over matter..sometimes it's a loosing fight...but the days even as tough as they are

i do feel a since of pride that I managed to get it done even though I hurt so bad.

That was helpful that you remind me there are those days that are not so overwhelming.

Sorry if I was being a big downer...just in that place right now...and I hope what

ever anyone does even exercise helps to make things better.

JJ

Katybarstool

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 07:41:34 AM »
JJ

No, you don't ever need to apologise for being down. We understand, and want to help you. On my down days, its just work and bed - and I sit on my butt all day at work, so its nowhere near as hard as yours, so you do marvelous.

Keep your chin up.

Kathyx

TerriJ

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 09:51:55 AM »
I have SJS and fibro.  I've been having physical therapy for about 7 wks. now and it has helped a lot.  I do tons of stretching and some strengthening exercises.  I don't really do any cardio yet, but I clean house and work in the yard.  Does that count?  Sometimes I hurt the day after too much exercise.  I also seems to amp up the nerve issues.

My hubby is awesome, but sometimes I feel like I don't know whether I'm coming or going.  He says to me take a nap, get some rest and then an hour later he is saying you need to get exercise.  I know he just wants me to feel better, but sometimes it's almost too much.  I'm pretty slow these days and feeling pressured to do things just makes me tense.

Terri

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
  Terri my dear,  any movement at all  helps!   But it's as bad to do anything that your body is really telling you not to do!

I take it that this yard thing with you US' er's  means garden and outside work , am I right? 
               If so then yes.. that's good workout..

Yes, hubby probably does say and do thing's that he thinks is helping, but don't be at all pressurised by anyone!!

Do everything at your own pace, and when and if you do get spurts of energy then get on with those exercises then..
                                                                          Dolly.x

dbab

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
My doc did mention to take it easy (no exercise or much physical activity) when there is obvious inflammation (read - flare) so thought I should mention that.

jenkay

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
I went from being so athletic to not being able to do a thing.  I stuggle with any exercise especially anything aerobic.... however I recently bought a series of DVDs that are made for people who have a hard time exercising  (physically) or haven't in a long time and I really like them.  It starts with a 5 minute segment and builds from there but it is all very mild exercise.  It is the only thing I've done where I don't feel like I'm going to pass out after.  It feels good to be successful at something.

The set is called Moving Free Longevity Solution by Mirabai Holland

Katybarstool

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »
Hi Jen

Thanks for posting the information about the DVD It sounds just what I am looking for, so I have ordered one of the DVD's. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kathyx

forest

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »
I love to go for walks. I sometimes walk around a block or two at lunch break. I would love to after work, but by 5pm I can barely get the energy to stand up. Even when it is a nice sunny day I just don't seem to be able to make it out of the front door. I tried going to Tai-Chi classes on weekdends which I really enjoyed, but I stopped going due to my recent fatigue. I am hopeful that I can get some answers from the doctors and start the Tai-Chi again.

forest

TerriJ

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 04:53:38 PM »
I have a dvd of Qigong that I really like.  I think it is similar to Tai-Chi.  I like using the dvd because I don't have to drive to a class and I can do it on my own schedule.  I think I would get a lot more depth out of an actual class though because the teacher can help with technique and all that.

I have a lot of difficulty with aerobic exercise.  I used to be able to hike and snow shoe.  I can walk without as much pain, but I get tired and if it's too aerobic I'm out of breath.  I'm out of shape.  The doctors say to start really, really slow and build up.  I'm also going to physical therapy and that has been great.  I have to do stretching and strengthening twice a day.  It takes up a lot of time.  I use an exercise ball, foam roll and a bar to facilitate this.  At least it keeps me moving rather than freezing up.  I've gotten a lot of improvement with my frozen shoulder too.  I stretch so much you would think I'd be limber, but I am not!!!!

Does anyone else find there muscles to be tight and sore when they stretch?

Terri