Author Topic: Yeast-Free Diet Anyone?  (Read 14097 times)

eyeamdry

Yeast-Free Diet Anyone?
« on: May 31, 2009, 07:00:32 PM »
My GP "ran some tests" on me to see if I had a yeast problem.  Well, you might know I did.  He tried to get me on this yeast diet about 20 years ago when he first took over the practice.  I've been dragging my heels, but know I must do it.

Problem is I hate meat and am 95% vegetarian.  So, there isn't much for me to eat.  I complained about foggy-brain this time and that's when he brought out the old yeast-free thing.  I will have to stop my diet Coke, which I live for.  I will start this one day this week.  I must look closely at the things I can have and stock up on them.  Getting protein will be a problem.  I can have eggs, I believe.  Cheese is a staple for me now, but I think that's out.

I'd like any comments from others on their thoughts about this yeast "thing." I have to say that I've not ever taken much antibiotic--and I know this is often the result of that.  Not in my case.   Lucy

wednesday mc haggis

Re: Yeast-Free Diet Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:09:24 AM »
eyeamdry

Its as far as i read, not enough to just cut out yeast, a sits already overgrown, some other things will still feed it, hence the full candida diet for me.

refined grains will feed it, as will dairy, the sugars occuring naturally in milk do, some suggest no fruit as the fructose will feed yeast overgrowth, others say it wont :-s

You can have eggs, eggs isnt classed as dairy unless you vegan, it doesnt feed the canddia, and veggie omletes are a great meal, you can have cottage cheese, but no ordinary cheese is out im afraid :( yup i miss cheese badly.

Grains that wont feed it are..quinoa, millet, buckwheat and rice, though brown rice is best.

I eat alot of hommus, the greek dip, it had chick peas in it, garlic(which kills the yeast)and sesame paste and lemon juice . I also found in my supermarket wheat/gluten/dairy free crackers are nicer than the rice cakes got a bit fed up with them.

Potatoes are fine, so baked potatoe is good, and i found a brekfast cereal online containing millet/rice/buckwheat
flakes    nuts in it....im taking that with rice milk and it is nice.

Nuts are fine just not peanuts and pistachios theyre sid to harbour yeast, and if your eating fruit they say peel the fruit as it can hold yeast on the skin, grapes and blueberries tend to have alot of yeast on their skins and that helps keeping away from them.

Spirullina is iron and B vitamin rich, i take tablet form of this and its helped to keep my levels up, and a good probiotic formula is recommended to recolonise the bowel with good bacterium.

I will say as they yeast dies off, you ll feel owrse before better, but once that settles, i can honestly say my thick brain fog has gone!!

You can still have your cake and eat it, ive recently bought a fre yeasy/ wheat/dairy and gluten free cookbooks, and found i can bake using stevia, chick pea flour, rice flour, baking powder and yes i add some fruit, and lemon and orange juice fresh squeezed instead of milk  yummy!!

Ive been cooking alot of veggie curries and also found that indian pakora, using gram flour(chickpea flour)  some water, some gram masala and a touch of chilli powder, dipping my part cooked cauliflower in it and deep frying is delicious :D

Mushrooms are out im afraid also, though i love them, theyre fungus and said to be to similar to yeast.

Hope this helps, not an easy one to get head around, but once you have you ll find there are plenty nutritous things to eat, its just a case of rethinking your cooking, which takes time .

if you can handle gluten( i cant)  poridge is a good breakfast and filling, veggie yeast free isnt easy, but the benefits are huge, even my mouth isnt as dry, and my eye drops usage has gone down by half

T x

wednesday mc haggis

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:13:12 AM »
oh meant to say, dont know about over there, but if gluten is fine for you, irish wholemeal soda bread is yeast free, i know there is one in the supermarkts here, dont know about there, but usually someone a small bakers, or supermarket have one in their range

T x

Wynter

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
I am suspecting I might have a problem with yeast. How is the yeast test administered?

eyeamdry

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
From a blood draw.  I'm having a terrible time just thinking about this.  I'm vegetarian and this leaves nothing to eat, but I will be making a trip to a health food store for the few things I can eat.  The sooner I start it, the sooner I will know if it's something for me.  I'm thinking that once you're on the diet for a bit, plus taking the piills the doc gave me, the yeast will be "killed off."  And then I can resume a regular, or nearly regular diet.  Lucy

JannaLee

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
I sure hope so, Lucy.

If this ever happens to me I'll have to shoot myself.

Janna

jonnell

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »
Can u imagine getting a 4 year old on a diet lol.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
Yes I can Jonnell. 2 of my kids were allergic to dairy and eggs and a third one could easily have become overweight. They were all put on diets - like no pizzas and no ice cream and no sweets basically. (No candies)

If they're really young they don't notice its a diet.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

jonnell

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
I have a hard enough time getting her to eat a meal.  But I guess it works for some people,  I was raised like that but I would never take that away from my kids. 

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
I didn't see it as taking anything away. They all grew up with great teeth and the one who looked like she'd get overweight didn't - until she went on the pill and was out of my control by then.

If they ate dairy they got terrible eczema and my youngest daughter used to cry with pains in her legs. I wasn't taking anything away other than discomfort. I was giving them a better quality of life.

https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

wednesday mc haggis

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »
Jonnell

Maybe your thinking as you werent allowed these things youd be denying jenna, but if food is making your illness worse then its time to think , for me anyways.

my oldest son has rhinnitis( contant cold) asthma and scalp eczema/proriasis.... last month i took him off dairy and its clearing fast!! i buy him vegan cheese instead and he has begun to get alot better, he even drinks soya/rice milk with me now and enjoys it, he is 13 and at that age its harder , he is off inhalers even the steroid ones he was given, his scalp is clearing and his nose isnt half as bad, he says he feels so much better and wants to continue doing so.

My youngest had had constipation problems for a few years, i recently read in kids this can be a gluten thing, took him off it and his bowels are working so much better, sure he cried and stropped, but hey ho, untreated food intolerances will eventually go into AI issues, im denying them to save them.

They never have had chocolate milk, fizzy drinks are a rare treat, sweets are very limited, diabetes is rife in kids, in UK the numbers have more than doubled in cases, over 10 years, and its predicted that it will double again.

They dont know what a microwave meal is they arent allowed them, or instant noodles or anything that i termed non nutritious rubbish, they eat from a fruit bowel if hungry between meals, eat veggie soups and ive had m,any temper tantrums over the years, my youngest asked for a buiscuit  wait for it 57 times in 5 minutes once, and thrashed around the floor, but they have no cavities, and my friends daughter same age has now lost 6 teeth.
many  E numbers are carcinogenic and being honest i aint feeding my kids poison, i even make my own pizzas so i know what goes in them, always have.

Many of their friends live on sugar, fizzy juice and microwave meals, their attitude now is theyre glad they had a mum who made things from scratch, and both are now either dairy or gluten free, thats not been easy, they take fish oils and a kids multi vitamin, and are way ahead at school, im thinking nutrition had something to do with that.

I dont see it as denying them, i see it as saving their long term health, many of their friends are obese, theyre perfect weight for their frame, and full of energy, its worth a thought honey, its gotten me from illness to almost normal, and daniel the youngest thinks in his own words the gluten free cake is awesome lololol

T x

jonnell

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:07 AM »
I agree with you both that if it improves there health its a good thing, but im a little skeptical about all this stuff as far as we can tell Jenna was born with this disease and Her Rhumy hasnt mentioned diet as a factor,  Jenna has had so many problems that taking away the things she enjoys to me is just making her more miserable.  If I had a doctor tell me Jonnell if you changed her diet her sjs would go away that would be a different story.  I dont think that you guys are bad for not giving your children those things I commend you on doing what you feel is best for your children.  And Im not saying Jenna just eats sweets, but she does enjoy her pizza, mac and cheese and a occasional dougnut.  We did take her off the diet sodas, but the chocolate milk is a must that is the only way Ive found to get her plaquinil in her and Ill take the good with the bad on that one.  Your right wednesday My mom was a health food junkie and I was misereable growing up and I dont want to make Jenna endure the same if I can with balance.  I love you guys and I didnt mean to sound demeaning at all, just a personal choice.   Hugs and Kissesss   Jonnell and Jenna

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »
Hi Jonell  :)

I wish I had your faith in doctors!  Nobody ever told me about potential food allergies. Nobody told me about the additives in orange squash. Three out of 4 of my kids are really sensitive to a couple of food additives. If they ate them when they were little they got 'hyper' and bad tempered and one even got violent.

Basically I poisoned the oldest one for 6 years, without realising it. His behaviour was so awful he was referred to a psychiatrist when he was 6. He had blood tests which suggested some kind of big infection in his body. He had x-rays. They couldn't pin anything down. The psychiatrist agreed we had a probvlem as he tried to dig his way through her wall with a screwdriver he'd smuggled in. No one mentioned diet though.

When son number 2 was born 6 weeks later he was an amazingly placid baby. Then he developed colic. His oldest sister had colic so I thought - heck - three more months of h***.  The health visitor suggested he may do better if I ate less dairy. First woman to mention food. Health visitor - not doc. I kept a food diary. (I was feeding him myself) Sure enough - his bouts of misery - ans also eczema - cleared up if I didn't eat dairy - or eggs. It was hard cos I was a vegetarian at the time.
He got old enough for orange squash - and we wondered what had hit us. He turned horrible. We took him off it. He calmed right down again. A little light went on in my head. "What if son number one is horrible because of orange juice"  I thought. Daughter number one isn't obviously allergic to the additives - so the light hadn't dawned quicker.

Took son number one off orange juice. It was still hard to buy the squash without the additives in those days although totally possible now. His behaviour improved tenfold. His father was dubious but on holiday gave him some orange at an aunt's house and within 20 minutes he was kicking heck out of his sister and refusing to do what he was asked by anybody. His Dad was a convert. The additives were to blame.

Now I told my longstanding GP this. He looked at me pityingly and said "Well, Mrs Ross, if that's what you want to believe......." (i.e. he thought I was nuts. I KNOW I'm not.

Oldest son was OK with dairy. Next three weren't. My oldest daughter suffered terribly with the most awful weeping nappy rash (as well as the colic) and had anyone medical suggested to take her off dairy, she would have had a much happier babyhood. Thanks to the health visitor the next two were spared a lot of discomfort.

I'm not saying for one minute that Jonell would get rid of having SjS but you already know there are some things you need to deny her to make her comfortable - strong sunshine being one of them.

I started keping a food diary with my kids and found there were direct correlations between what they ate - and their behaviour. Maybe you could keep a parallel food and symptom diary.

My Dad was a surgeon and managed to misdiagnose appendicitis. I nearly died. Doctors don't know it all - ever.

jonnell

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
Very true about doctors,  I had a er doc tell me Jenna had chicken pox when she had a severe allergic reaction to penicillin(it was hives) and 4 2 years I heard that Jenna had growing pains and everything was viral.  None of my kids can handle red food coloring  so I can understand where you are coming from.  But I think my problem is lack of knowledge not understanding what the connection is or where to even start.  The food diary sounds like a good idea I will give it a try.  Can you recommend any reading material or websites about the yeast or dairy connection,  Im not closed minded just a little skeptical I would definetely like to make Jenna happier and  feeling better.  Thanks for the advice love  Jonnell and Jenna

Lotus1

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
eyeamdry

Yes, I've been wheat, gluten, sugar, yeast, dairy, fruit free for approx 4 yrs to keep a handle on candida.  I make my own yeast, wheat, gluten, dairy etc free bread from a packet I buy at Coles supermarket.  Just add water (filtered is all I will drink) & vegetable oil (I use olive oil) whack it in oven.  Also was using pure taheebo which I can't seem to purchase anymore so have commenced Yeast Stat to keep things under control.
Think others have covered things especially Wednesday.  Candida definitely seems to make my mouth & eyes drier. 
I always ate healthy, but was still in shock & didn't think I could change to this new diet.  It takes some thinking & discipline to change, but well worth it.  It is easier these days as there is so much this & that free now to cater to people with intolerances & allergies.  Cooking from scratch is best.  With using glyconutrients I'm hoping I will be free of candida in another yr like my friend with FMS who made the suggestion re glyco's to get on top of this illness. 
I find I have to remind myself that I still have SS I've improved sooooo much. 
It's amazing how your taste buds change.  You can do it!!
Lotus1