Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 5959 times)

jpd54

Hi!
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
I am new to this forum.  I have read the topics on here for a while.  I can't tell everyone how much it has helped.  I always felt like I was alone in this.

I was diagnosed about a year and half ago with Sjogren's.  I am currently on 9 medications. I was recently seen by a neuropsycholgist for my brain fog. He told me my short term memory and attention are only at about the 18th percentile.  I was formerly a teacher and a legal secretary.   I have not been able to work for over a year due to the brain fog, fatigue and pain.  Has anybody applied for Social Security Disability since it was listed as a disability? 
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Katybarstool

Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
Hi JPD

Welcome to the family. I think I was diagnosed around the same time as you. It can be a life changing diagnosis, can't it?

I too take a barrel of different drugs, but thankfully, am still employed full time - although I don't know for how much longer. I'm in the UK where your entitlement to disability depends on your specific health, care and mobility needs  rather than having a particular diagnosis. So, for example, some people with SJS would not qualify, but depending on their particular problems, other people would.

There are some members of the forum on disability, so I'm sure they will be along soon to welcome you and offer their advice.

Kathyx

jpd54

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  It sure helps to know others are going through the same thing.  Trying to explain SJS to others is not easy.  They think I look okay.  Even my family did not understand my brain fog until I went to the neuropsychologist.  I even thought I was beginning to lose it.  Forgetting where I am going, can't remember words, repeating myself.  My husband and I have just learned to laugh about it - better than crying!!!!  Thanks again!

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:57:12 AM »
Hi JPD  :)

Welcome to Sjogren's world.  Brainfog's horrible. Very debilitating. As well as getting the tests for SjS did you also have your thyroid tested? My brainfog was at its very worst when my thyroid went underactive. It improved a bit once I got thyroid meds. My mind certainly isn't what it once was though!

I hope you find the site useful - and no - you're NOT alone!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
Hi, and welcome, JPD.

I'm not in the US either, but I'm sure that very soon you'll start to hear from some people who have had dealings with SSD, and they'll have lots of helpful information for you,
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

lynnmarie219

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »
to Sjogrens World JPD! I'm glad that you found us and No .....you are not alone anymore!

I'm not currently on Disability either, but I do know there are many people here who are...some seem to get it easier than others.....hopefully more members will be by to tell of their experience with the system and give you some helpful hints!

I do know that documentation is very important...so the first thing you should probably do is to insure that you have copies/notes of all of your doctor visits, tests/labs etc. If you don't already have these...maybe that's a good place to start by notifying your doctors office, hospitals, etc. for your records.

jpd54

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »
 I have had my thyroid tested and everything was okay.  I think my rheumy has tested everything.  My rheumy and primary dr are great about keeping everything checked.  I see the rheumy every 2-3 months and have tests updated.  They switch my meds around trying to find the right combination.  Thanks for all the great support! :D