Author Topic: Highlights of my week  (Read 7241 times)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Highlights of my week
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:34:05 AM »
Hi  :)

Usually my week has one highlight and that's singing on Saturday mornings. (No - I don't have a great voice - but I like trying and we always have a laugh.)

This week had two highlights.
I work with 15/16 year olds (only 8 or 9 at a time) in 'alternative education' because their school doesn't want them on their premises any more. As well as issue based stuff we are meant to deliver GCSE English and Maths, which as we're youth workers, not teachers, is a big ask! (Also I verge on being discalcular) The kids are resistant to both subjects so some of the year has been 'uphill'.

A funding source we used to use a lot dried up so we have had very few off site visits this year, which hasn't helped.  Well last week we hit lucky. A pot of money from somewhere needed young people to spend it on, so last week our kids got the chance to do a Fire Marshal's Course and also spend a day with the army. They are also going to get a days work experience each.

The Fire Marshal's Course was OK but involved a lot of listening and I was proud that the young people managed to sit through it as well as they did.
The highlight was the day with the army. They were given 'combats' and taken to a local field with quite a large number of other young people that they didn't know at all. They were split into 4 teams and given various tasks. Some were crawling under a camouflage net, first with football and then with helmet, flack jacket and rucksack; some were playing 'towers of Hanoi' with BIG tyres. There was a game involving an ever changing human obstacle course, someone with a blindfold and someone giving instructions through a walkie talkie. There was another problem solving game too.

In the afternoon they were doing PE, drill and hand grenade throwing. (Not live!!)

I got pretty tired just being outside all day but I can't imagine how the kids will have felt the following day. Their muscles must have been screaming!  If they didn't do what they were told they either had to run round the whole field on their own or go and do anything between 10 and fifty press-ups. It was all very military - and designed as a pre-joining up course.

Out of eight young men - only one said that we'd taken him to be tortured. He'd joined in with everything but knows that the army isn't for him. (He'll be a wheeler dealer - if he survives having a scooter) The other 7 were totally enthusiastic about it. All are now considering joining up. (Not a good idea for all of them) Two had already said they wanted to, which is why the day had been arranged. It was just nice to see them thoroughly enjoying themselves and being enthusiastic about something. I got some lovely photos, which I'd love to show you but its probably not ethical - so I'd better not.

One diminutive 16 year old said "Hey - if the army's like this, I think it'd be better than College. I suppose I'd have to give up smoking dope though........"  It may be the only thing that wopuld get him off it!

Well done if you've managed to read this far! I just had to tell someone!   :)     I even slept well that night.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

wednesday mc haggis

Re: Highlights of my week
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:15 AM »
scottie

you know youve put your heart and soul into those kids, and it shows in how happy you are, when you see just evena little headway!!

I am truly glad you got some funding to get out and about, and glad that it provoked some thought with the kids, and that you got a sleep!!woohooo!!

It cant be an easy job by any strech of the imagination, and possibly even as they leave your care you cant see what good some of what youve done the kids , but liley youve done more than you ll ever know, and amybe even 5 years down the line some penny will drop with them, from something you said.did.

Glad you enjoyed the highlight and glad that some of the kids got a great deal fromit, i just wonder if their parents had half as much enthusiasm for them, these kids might not be where they are

T x

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »
Scottie

What a wonderful experience for those youngsters. I'm sure they will remember it for a long time.

My nephew joined the army as a 16 year old. It's like college until they get to 18. He is from a 'disadvantaged' background and he joined as he wants to become a plumber, and then when he has done the minimum (4 years I think), he will have a trade and start his own business. Throughout his childhood he has played rugby, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Imagine his delight when the army recruited him to their rugby team AND offered him a three weeks rugby tour representing his country in Australia. He has just returned, and altho his team didn't win, he had the time of his life.

I have mixed feelings about our young people joining the forces, but if it is something they really want to do, I think it can give them a very interesting life. Let's hope some of your youngsters find their niche there.

Kathyx

perry

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »
great story scottie!  ;D

Chickpea

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:24:30 AM »
It's great to hear about your week, Scottie. 

I share Kathy's mixed feelings about young people joining the armed forces but for so many nowadays it seems the only/easiest way of getting a trade.  Apprenticeships have all but disappeared and with them the chance of a valued job and the self respect that comes with it.

Let's hope your young people find a good future with the forces, even if they do have to curb their dope habits!

Chickpea xxx

lynnmarie219

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
Hi Scottie!

What a great story! I work in Social Services too (with adults with developmental disabilities) so I can TOTALLY understand the money (or lack of) situation! The state is behind on what little money they do give us and things get cut all of the time....so its good to hear a story when someone received something nice like this for this kids.

We were just awarded a nice size grant for some computers in the classrooms! Wahoooooooo! Another story with a good ending!

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »
Scottie and lynmarie,

Bless you both for serving with your heart to those who feel set aside.

Scottie those young ones probably present a real challenge. You step out past your health and enjoy yourself, also.  Good for you!  :)

Lynmarie, your work has very young hearts, even though they are older , you also face higher challenges .

I am so thankful for the many hero's on this forum, sooo inspiring.

All our nurses too.

Great sjoggie pals  :-* :-*   kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

JJ

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 06:11:36 AM »
I'm in the general area of what Haggis said, "i just wonder if their parents had half as much enthusiasm for them, these kids might not be

where they are." I'm very glad there are folks like you and Lynmarie who will take up the slack for some of these parents. I am aware that

there are single moms out there who are having to work long hours to provide for their children..but here in the US there are just as many

whole families who do not even know what there children are doing. Most of the time all this stuff going on with these children are just

screams saying hey I'm here look at me and it just breaks my heart. I feel as if our biggest commodity has become the dollar and what

is sitting in the driveway, and what the yard looks like instead of the important things "Our Children." Okay, I'll close this rant but thank

you so much for what you do...just not enough of you out there...

JJ