Author Topic: fingernails coming off?  (Read 12145 times)

lelole

fingernails coming off?
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:57:26 AM »
Hi,

For a while now, 2 of my fingernails on my left hand have been slowly becoming less well attached to my finger, and one is curling upwards.  I am starting to worry I may lose them. 

Does anyone else have this? Is it Sjogren's related? Is there anything I can do to reverse or stop it?

Thanks

Leah

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: fingernails coming off?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:14:30 AM »
Hi Leah  :)

This is one for your doctor or possibly a dermatologist. SjS has never caused me problems with my nails but when my thyroid goes underactive, my nails get very 'flaky' and peel and split. They've never lifted away from my fingers though. I believe one can get yeast infections under nails but its not something I know much about.

I'll be interested to see the answers you get.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:30:53 AM »
I had this happen once with one nail, which we first thought was fungal infection. After treating for that with no effect, my doctor and manicurist both suggested Vick's Vapour Rub...which I appplied twice a day, and the nail bed gradually grew out again!

My doctor made reference to "Lupus nail", which I had never heard of and couldn't find any data on, but he said it sometimes happened that people with autoimmune disease lost nails, purely an anecdotal (non-documented word of mouth) thing that he'd heard of. I'm tinking that, in my case, what worked was a "shock" of chlorine bleach (for any fungus or other infection) followed by twice daily applications of the menthol containing rub, but I can't swear it would work for anyone else.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Dolly Dimples

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »
   Leah, I have problems with nails, my hands and nails are just so dry, I go through a tube of hand cream a week.

Sometimes my nails split downwards  towards the cuticle, then i have to cut them so short, but even when they grow back the split is still int he nail..
                   I am always snagging my nails on everything I touch... Funny, but my toenails are beautiful!   Dolly

babycakes

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »
hi leah

how weird you have posted a message regarding this as the other day i looked at one of my toenails and the exact same thing is happening with that.  It is thick and discoloured and is coming away from the cuticule.  It also curves to the right and its almost chipped at the corner.  I was concerned about this but wondered if it was a fungal nail infection or something to dowith sjogrens.  I have heard the term lupus nail being connected with autoimmune diseases but i plan on asking the rhuemie about it.  I will try the vaporub too.

babycakes

JannaLee

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:31:59 PM »
We talked about this about a while back and had several like responses from people about it.

My toe nails also lifted.

The dermatologist biopsy came back negative for fungus.

I did the Vapo Rub thing for a year.  It just got worse.

Finally I cut the nail completely away from the lifted area and down into the quick.  I had less than half of each big toe nail left.  They have just about grown back now and I notice my left one is lifting again!

For no good reason, I think it is related to Reynauds.  Just my amateur logic thinking the reduced circulation has somehow made my toe nails sick.

It seems there is not even one itty bitty speck of me left unchanged from Sjs!

Janna
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:40:18 PM by JannaLee »

cinmac

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »
Hi, I lost one fingernail, but I was a gym member at the time and put it down to a fungus.  It just kind of got soft and sluffed off.  However, it has never grown back and it looks pretty funky so I don't know now.  Guess I'll try the Vicks-it can't hurt.

I have heard of lupus nails but couldn't find any description so I don't know exactly what it is.

cinmac

dwbreadbaker

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
This is interesting.  I now have 4 toenails that are thickened, pulling away from the nailbed and just plain funky.  The dermatologist said it was a fungus.  He said that I could take the antifungal meds but they're expensive, could cause liver problems and even if it worked there was a 75% chance of it coming back.  The rheumie said that it was most likely a result of taking the steroid meds to control my asthma/allergy symptoms.

Debbie

cinmac

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »
Hi, for those with dry skin, I had a massage that left my skin so soft.  I asked the therapist what lotion she used and she said it was plain old safflower oil from the grocery store, with an herb or two added for scent.  I have tried it-its a lot cheaper than lotion and it works well.  I just rub in about a dime sized amount and either put socks over it (yes on my hands-less constricting than gloves) when I go to bed, or use vinyl gloves over it while I clean during the day.  My skin is much improved. But my fingernail is still funky!
cinmac

lelole

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »
Hi, thanks for all of your replies, I guess that maybe it is some kind of fungal nail or something, I will make a docs appt - just didn't want the "what now" look!

Leah xx

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »
I took care of a rheumatoid arthritis patient years ago when I was working as a nurse. She had those crippled up hands and also the red lumps on the joints and around the nail beds. She had drainage from them plus she was losing her nails slowly.  Part of the autoimmune issues I think.

Just last week I had a big red lump on the side of the middle joint of one finger. It stuck up like a little mountain and was very painful. For some reason I pressed on it and it just sort of depressed. I have no idea what was in it or where it went bit I am still alive.

Those darn fungus come to all of us. I hate it on my toe nails. That Vicks vapor rub is the lates treatment I have heard about and it does work good accord to what I have read.

The best thing we can do is to wear shoes with cotton socks and air our feet and also soak them and dry them well. They love the damp, moist places. I know that my feet sweat terrible now and smell some if I don't watch it. Darn, I hate this!!! Irish ;D

watoozie

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
I have Lupus and Sjogrens and my toenail lifted away from the nailbed and the nail on my left little finger did the same.  Only partial and then finally grew out.  Didn't happen again for a long time, but now the nail on the other foot is doing the same thing.  I didn't know anyone else had this problem, my doc just pooh poohed it, like everything else!!

Net

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:57 PM »
Had just one bad one I futzed around with fungal otc and tried Vicks. Rheumy said it was probably cuz of my pred, it just wouldn't grow back.In Jan. I went off the pred. and 3 nails went real bad now. Got referred to a Derm, he said Beaus lines and Trach. and Kolynichia and said use 2 1/2 bioting a day and laquer. Thought it was working  but now it seems all it does is cover them til they decide to split and break away from the nail bed. You'd think it would hurt but it almost seems numb. Am having some thyroid bloodwork done from my new Rheumy cuz I asked for a panel and my antibodies are elevated. He is referring me to another Derm cuz he thinks it's fungal, I don't think so though, I think it's either thyroid or sjogren related but...I wish I knew how to fix it so I could pass it along to you.Keep us posted or anyone else that finds an answer.(I use "nail life" and at least it protects the nail while it at least trys to grow)---good luck--Net
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

Wynter

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »
I haven't had any nails come off yet. I usually let my nails grow out just a little, then cut them back short. When I cut them they get soar for a couple of days. Also, my cuticles don't look to bad, except the upper cuticle is shriviled. My feet aren't as bad, but I try to wear socks during the day.

KJ

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »
I am still waiting on my lip biopsy to come back, so I do not know if I have SJS or not, but I am having this issue on some of my toes.  I know that I do not have a fungus because I was on Lamisil for 2 months for a fungal infection on my scalp that I did not have (biopsy came back neg for fungus, but was instructed to finish out the med).  At first I thought it was an ingrown toenail and felt relief when lifting up the side of the nail, then I noticed that it would just keep coming up if I pulled on it (so I stopped).  The skin is like a white, soft yet thick texture under the nail, and is not very sensitive.  Similar to what is going on with spots on my scalp.

You are not alone ;)

Kellie