Author Topic: Low Iron Stores and Stout Beer  (Read 12671 times)

Epson

Re: Low Iron Stores and Stout Beer
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 12:26:28 PM »
Stout is good for what ever Ales you ;D

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:51:03 PM »
Susan, I hate to spoil your fun, but is it wise to use alcohol when taking an antidepressant??? Also, people who have autoimmune diseases often have low iron and ferritin levels -- part of the AI disease. Have you been put on iron tabs by the doctor. Might be cheaper also. Just a few thoughts. Irish ;D

sydney6060

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:28:10 AM »
I've been taking Iron supplements for quite awhile and they don't really help. I saw a haemotologist and he wasn't too concerned about my iron levels.  Thought it might be related to my periods, although they haven't changed in years and if anything they are getting shorter.  My rheumy said that because of my low iron, B12, and my thyroid and age(48), that it would be hard to tell if my fatigue was caused by the SJS.  But he gave me the plaq anyway, and I have to say that I have noticed a change in the fatigue. 

I would just like to be able to fix one problem. 

I am on a very low dose of antidepressant and am not a drinker except for an occasional glass of wine.  But thank you for your concern Irish.  It was actually my doctor who recommended the red wine.  I think I will give the stout a try.  Even a few sips a week might help.  I'll start out slow and see how it goes.  I have blood work every 3 months, so maybe my doc will notice a difference.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions

Hope everyone is having a good day
Susan

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 08:36:16 PM »
I have low ferritin levels and am supposed to take iron supplements every day for the rest of my life. I just can't do it and can't take with calcium, etc and then when I am on an antibiotic it gets even more complicated. Soooo, I eat raisins on my cold cereal and I also eat cold cereals that have the 100% of all the vitamins and iron. Total is the one brand that is good but so spendy so I eat the several generic brands my grocery store has with the 100% vitamins and iron.

I like wine but it has the sulfites in it and that makes me feel rotten. I don't drink otherwise but do get thirsty for a cold beer in a frosty glass in the hot, humid summer. I will buy the alcohol free beers and drink them. I am on higher dose of antidepressant and don't want to rock the boat. Besides that I know in my heart that I would be a big, bad drunk if I drank alcohol so I avoid it. I am addicted to Pepsi for crying out loud!!! ::)

Also, apricots are high in iron. More than one way to skin a cat. Irish ;D

sydney6060

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »
I didn't know that about apricots.  I love them.

I was investigating Stout beer and brewer's yeast, and some places say that anyone with a compromised immune system should be careful about using too much of the brewer's yeast.

Anyway, I bought a stout last night and tried it today. I only took 2 sips.  I think I'll stick with my iron supplements and trying to get it in food.  It's not a taste I could ever get used to.

Or I'll just go around as my usual dopey self.

Susan