Author Topic: Dentures anyone???  (Read 3547 times)

JJ

Dentures anyone???
« on: December 23, 2008, 06:45:20 AM »
Having trouble with the denture grip...I have had trouble with my teeth since i was a teenager and
even though i brushed regularly I ended up getting problems at the gum line which ended up me
having the patches done due to money issues. Well they fell out on a regular basis and since the
money was an issue i decided to get dentures. Now the problem is that the denture grip seems to lose
it's stick at times....as a kid i can remember chewing gum and the gum would dissolve in my mouth
in a matter of seconds...anyone else with this...and is it SJS related??

Trying not to sneeze my teeth out,
JJ

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Dentures anyone???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:37:43 AM »
Hi JJ  :)

My dentist told me to try to hang onto my own teeth (I want rid of them) because dentures rely on a certain amount of moisture to stay in place. That's what he said anyway.
there are successful denture wearers in here though - so I hope that one comes along soon with some advice for you!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
Hi JJ

I wear dentures, and have done since I was about 20, as my teeth crumbled and broke. I'm now on my 3rd set, having had these made earlier this year. They fit very well and I'm really pleased with them, but some days I don't have enough saliva to keep them in place. However, I have found that using the Biotene gel under them does help them to stick.

Hope this helps.

Kathyx

Epson

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:14:44 PM »
I wonder if Liquid Nails would work ;D

SeaBreeze

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
you guys are in rare form tonight...

JJ... thank you for the visual of you sneezing your teeth out... I can't even type I'm laughing so hard...

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »
You know, the bad teeth issue is one that is interesting to me.  Just being diagnosed with SJS two years ago, I can go all the way back to childhood (that is a lllloooong way back) and remember spending most of my time in the dentist's chair.  We four siblings all had bad teeth and all except me had false teeth by the time they were 20ish.  I've managed to hang on to mine although most are crowns, caps plus an ongodly partial.  We did not have fluoride in our water, but I remember the dentist giving me treatments. 

So, we all had bad teeth starting very young.  None of my siblings have signs of autoimmune disease.  I've only managed to keep mine by spending much $$ that i don't have on keeping my teeth.  Sorry to throw this in here, but would like others to comment.  Lucy

JJ

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »
The dentists told me that i should try and keep them, and i had tried very hard to do so .
ended up with a front top partial first...but my back teeth kept breaking and couldn't hold
it in. That is when i just decided i was tired of fighting it and not smiling because of how
bad it looked. When i was in grade school, i think my 3rd year we had this fluoride treatment
program at the school, we all had to swish this fluoride solution in our mouths for like a minute,
the teacher timed us. Brushed very regular but still had trouble...no one else in my family
had this problem or has had this problem with their teeth...wish i had known about SJS earlier..
may have been treated better by dentist with more preventative stuff.

JJ

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »
Oh and forgot to say, My grandmother actually did sneeze her teeth out...they went clear across the table
and onto the floor my ex husband picked them up and handed them back to her...i smile whenever i
think about it not because of the actual happening but the little girl like giggle she made when he handed
them back to her. Thanks for the advice i will try anything at least once...as long as it is legal...lol. ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:08:25 AM »
JJ - I'm a newbie denture wearer (5 months) and have trouble keeping a firm hold at times too.  I use Fixodent Extra Hold powder - it works for a while, but I have to reapply it several times a day (especially, right before I am going to eat).  Because I am still in the "healing" process, I figure this goes with the territory.   I've got the Fixodent Gel too, but haven't used it yet.

You know that old saying "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"?  All I want for Christmas are my dentures to hold!!  LOL

Thanks for the laugh about the sneezing dentures . . . especially, since I know this can happen!!

Epson, you have no idea how we wish we COULD use superglue or something like that to hold them in!!  I would, if I could!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

JJ

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 11:55:04 AM »
Gorilla glue maybe...lol..i use the fixodent control with scope..i like it..just
there are days that it seems like it doesn't hold like normal...i think due
to flare ups...plus it makes your breath a little better...lol..try it and see
what you think...i just dont think anything will help during the flare up
time. ;D...but i will say its nice to smile and not worry about the
hillbilly jokes.

JJ

TJMAC

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »
Hi JJ.I have been in denture h.... for 5 weeks ,I got new ones.I have had dentures since I was 15.I use Poligrip Ultra and it holds the top for 24 hours at least.Nothing holds the bottom because there is minimal ridge.Prehaps you need to use more and put it in different places,sort of trial and error.If it squishes out use a tad less until you get it right.I hope you find the answer because its a miserable inconvenience.Teresa

JJ

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »
Thanks Teresa, like i said this stuff works good most of the time...just flare ups cause
the problems but...whatever would make me think that the flare ups wouldn't
cause problems...lol...hope everyone had a great holiday

JJ!