Author Topic: Blizzard Coming  (Read 14798 times)

lynnmarie219

Re: Blizzard Coming
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
I've been following this thread and we have had all of the same junky weather here in Illinois.......snow, sleet, rain, fog, ice storms....and now flooding. There are some roads that are already closed around here because I live so close to the Illinois river and others. We are fine....but the road closures make it inconvenient to drive places...you have to drive a lot further to go what is normally a short distance! Oh well.....such is life I guess!

Stay warm, dry and safe everyone!

eyeamdry

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »
A note to renew this thread.  Well, there was flooding at the last time someone posted on this thread.  We (personally) did not have any problems with flooding but I know lots of others did when out great mounds of snow melted.  We were down to just dirty snow banks about 7 or 8 days ago and we've been hit with a bunch of snowstorms since!

TV has a bunch of cancellations for churches tomorrow morning.  Our neighbors keep coming over with their tractors and plowing us out.  Roads are bad as the plows can't keep up and I really don't think the state(s) have enough money for enough salt/sand etc and overtime.  Temps are going to be below zero during the nights this coming week in SW MI. 
Keep warm everyone.  Lucy

SeaBreeze

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
We got about 8 inches here in New Hampshire.  We were down to dirty snowbanks too... Not anymore !! but I love it, provided we have power..  ;D  This has been a 'true' Winter for me.. I love the excitement of impending storms..

The shoveling has become an issue with me though.. I'm not supposed to, but I really don't have a choice, I see kids around the complex that would prolly jump at the chance, but they are never around after a storm. 

I remember making lots of money "going out shoveling" we would walk around the neighborhood with our shovels in hand, be summoned by some and knock on doors of 'virgin' sidewalks and driveways.  We made 'tons' of money this way.. Of course the elderly people were done as a good gesture and they were always so grateful...

This was the 70's when we were going through similiar economic pressures....

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
Tonight on the evening news they showed a 60 car pileup in New Jersey (I think it was NJ)!!!  60 vehicles slamming into one another!!  Scares the living daylights outta me!  I'm one when it starts spitting snow . . I stay home!  I guess I have this phobia of "weather" . . especially in the winter.  Could be because back in 1987 I drove from Minneapolis, MN to Cleveland, OH by myself . . hit a blizzard head-on in Chicago, IL.  Felt like a postal employee going thru snow, sleet, slush, rain just to get home.  I'll never do that again!!!  I'm going to be a basketcase when my son starts to drive . . thank goodness that is several years away yet.   ;D

Those of you having to be out in the harsh winter weather . . . please, please, please be careful.  Slow down and take your time.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 04:38:39 PM »
Oops, wrong state listed in last post . . it was New Hampshire . . . I knew there was a "New" in there somewhere.  ;)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

SeaBreeze

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
Yes Bucky, that was a horrible accident today, thank goodness no one was killed, few broken bones were the worst so far.
Route 93 here is a death trap...there is a lot of "No Salt" areas and its filled with 18-wheelers that will crawl right up your backend doing 80... I avoid it at all cost.  Not to say the truck caused it... They are not saying what kind of vehicle started it.

ktfabian

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
We had 6" of snow here in northeastern PA on Saturday into Sunday.  Now our temperatures are taking a nose dive and our high on Wednesday is going to be about 13 with a windchill of -20. 

No wonder my joints are even more stiff than usual and my pain level is up!
Brrrrr....Tracy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
Get ready for some more snow. The Alberta Clippers are in full throttle. Seems this stuff is coming down out of Alaska from what I have heard. We had 5 inches here today. Nice snow with a little wind. However, the schools closed in much of the lower 2/3 of the state of Minnesota. The western part of the state is literally a death trap when the winds come up as it is flat prairie and you can't tell where you are.

The winds were to be 40 MPH tonight out there and 23 here. The lowest wind chills we have had in the southern part of the state was in Dec of 83 when they were 70-90 below zero. We haven't had a bad winter for many years here. I am like a few of you and I just love the smell of the snow in the air and the feeling of the storm coming. Also, I have always loved to shovel at night when it was snowing and walk at night when it is snowing. I miss doing all those things.

The roads were really bad in the twin cities today and there we lots and lots of accidents and cars in the ditch. Many people have forgotten how to drive in this weather and the younger crowd have never had to drive on these kind of roads with the ice, slippery snow, bad visibility, etc. Our boys were growing up in the late 70's and 80's and learned to drive in the country on the bad roads. Also, they learned to carry extra clothes with them. I think this young generation will freeze to death before the winter is over.

School closings are already on TV for tomorrow. Stay warm folks. Irish ;D

Billydude

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
Here it was so warm today!  It was like summer.   I was in a sweat but I'm usually in a sweat and the warm weather worsens my condition.   I went to a new doctor today as my old one moved away.  I like him but thought it funny that he suggested that I consider moving to a colder climate.
Steve

allium

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
If you want cold,  Steve; western NY is the place to be.

The predicted highs tommorrow and Thursday are in the single digits, with 20-30 mph winds, and lake effect snow.

This is also the coldest and snowiest winter I've seen in ten years here. 

So, come on over...bring your layers!  I'll throw another piece of apple wood in the stove for you.  :)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
The sun is shining brightly here in Central IL . . . giving the false impression that it is warm outside.  HA!!  It's cold, cold, cold.  Like many of you, our temperature is to dip low over the next few days.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

For a person with dry eyes and mouth it seems the palms of my hands have NO problem with moisture . . . just READING the posts about bad weather makes them sweat . . and I'm at home not going anywhere!!  That is one thing that has never changed thru the years . . . whenever I am nervous or anxious the palms of my hands sweat.  If my BIL happens to be riding in the car with me when we're driving thru a big city or in nasty weather he'll ask me, "so Bucky - your hands sweating yet??" . . . . DUH!!!  :o

Just a side note . . . if you have any animals outside that can be brought inside during these really cold nights, please do.  Our two outdoor cats are coming in for the next several days.  They are happy critters.   ;D  (sniff, sniff . . son and I will suffer with pet allergies so they can be warm)

Be safe . . . dress appropriately if you go out . . pack some extra clothes, snacks, blankets, gloves, boots, etc. in the car too . . you never know when they might come in handy.  (A simple nod of the head and a "yes, mother" . . will suffice.  :D)  Better yet . . . STAY HOME AND OFF THE ROADS!!  ;D

Bucky

P.S.  As we are freezing our keesters off . . just think of Pud and all her fellow Australians who are experiencing hot, hot temperatures right now.  I'd settle for 70-75 degrees . . my idea of a perfect temperature.  :)

eyeamdry

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 09:17:18 PM »
In Michigan, the Alberta Clipper (first or second one) is headed our way.  We have temps around zero per the 11 pm news.  Temps to go well below zero tonight with wind chill much higher.  I also see a snow advisory running across the tv until 7 pm on Thursday, which is almost 48 hours away.

We are going to have unseasonably cold temps for the rest of the week.  The weather that is coming through Minnesota and Wisconsin is pointed towards us.  Illinois and Indiana will get some of this too.  Then it will move east to PA and NY and the folks on the eastern coast.  Stay warm as the other poster says.  This can't last forever.   A month from today, we'll be headed for a month in Fla and I'm sort of enjoying the thought.  Lucy

Nadmcd

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
Way down here in Atl Georgia, we will be waking up to a balmy 24 or 25 degrees with wind chills in the low to mid teens.  I bet  y'all (you all) didn't think it got that cold down here.  I am actually born and raised in a southwest suburb of Chicago.  I was up there for Christmas this year 12/21 -01/02/09 and my kids had a ball in all the snow.  I am so mad that I didn't get any pix of my 18 yr old son making snow Angels.  The flooding that ensued during that week was the worst part.  Many times when I've told people that I would rather have 25 degrees and snow in Chicago than 40 and damp or rainy here in Atlanta. my kids thought I was kidding, but they got a good long vacation up there this year, and the weather to go with it and they agreed it really is colder down here.  I am not looking forward to getting up in 4 hours and going to my physical therapy in this cold.  I will freeze in my cute little shorts.  I better get some sleep, I hope you all follow Bucky's advice.....

"Be safe . . . dress appropriately if you go out . . pack some extra clothes, snacks, blankets, gloves, boots, etc. in the car too . . you never know when they might come in handy.  (A simple nod of the head and a "yes, mother" . . will suffice.  Cheesy)  Better yet . . . STAY HOME AND OFF THE ROADS!!  Grin"

Dress warm...
Nad

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 03:55:01 AM »
Well . . . it's every kids dream . . just got the automated call from the school at 5:38 a.m. this morning . . . NO SCHOOL today due to the weather.   ;D  I think this makes the third snow day this school year.  One thing with this new automated calling system the parents know even before the closing is listed on the tv website.  To quote AlienDog . . "cool beans!!"   :D

Son will be thrilled he can sleep in.

Stay warm & safe today.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »
Mini vacation . . . we've already gotten "the call" tonight that there is NO SCHOOL on Thursday either due to the extreme weather.  The school was already scheduled to have this Friday off as school improvement day and Monday for MLK Day so the kids will get an extra long time off.  Woohoo . . we can sleep in each morning now!!   ;D

Went outside for a brief 10 minutes today and baby it is COLD!!!  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  I could easily be a bear and hybernate.  :)

Be warm & safe.

Bucky