Author Topic: Blizzard Coming  (Read 14817 times)

eyeamdry

Blizzard Coming
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:10:07 PM »
I am tired of winter before it gets here.  Officially, I think it's Dec. 21st arrival.  Well, here in Michigan, we've had more than 30" so far and I think maybe have set a record or are headed for it.  That's only the beginning as there is a blizzard whirling across the middle of the country and should be here at 1.a.m.  I am amazed how accurately they (think they) can predict this mess.   We're expecting somewhere around 10-12 inches between 1.a.m. and 7 p.m. Friday.  We already have snow banks and all the driving hazards that go along with it. 

I can hope they are wrong and the storm misses us, or leaves us with a couple of inches.  We're prepared!  Have generator, have food, medicines all stocked up.  I heard on tv that Las Vegas and also Arizona got a lot of snow, which is quite unusual.  So, if anyone else is sick of this already, I am too.  I am already mad at myself for 'witching' about it on this board. 

I am looking forward to Feb. though because we are planning a trip to Fla to stay with my newly "snowbird" sister and bil.  They bought a house in Fla and are now wintering there.  We plan on 2-4 weeks down there.  Probably 4 weeks if everyone is getting along.  Well, I must check the computer for the latest on the storm.  Button up everyone and be dry and warm.  Lucy

SeaBreeze

Re: Blizzard Coming
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:26:47 PM »
Lucy, you are sending that storm our way when its done.  Our forecast is for 12-18 starting at about 1pm, 2 inches an hour... but we only have a couple inches on the ground, under a coating of ice..  ;D  I'm ready for anything ! Now if I can just stay away from my old habits of 'comfort' food during these storms.... urgghhh... I do have some nice veggie chicken soup on, so that will have to do............... have fun... I'm so envious of your trip south... I've spent several weeks there at a time, it is really hard to get back on that plane... You start to blend in, go to the grocery, get your hair done there.. its hard coming back...

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »
I just looked at the temp in Fla where my sister is and it's high of 81 today.   Low in mid-50's.  This isn't even in the southern part.  It does help to make the long, tough winter go faster.

Lucy

Pooh

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »
Stay warm and safe Lucy, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  We are on the lower edge of this incoming mess.  Rain, freezing rain, sleet and all the messy dangerous stuff. 

Oh and I have a rheumy appt. at 10:15 tomorrow morning 18 miles up the interstate.  Oh Joy, Joy!  If I see ice, even an ice cube, it ain't gonna happen.  "Fred" and I don't do ice.  No sir, no way, no how! :o

Then they are promising us snow on Sunday. :(  Oh eckkk!!!

Like I said, stay warm and stay safe.  I'm gonna bake some more cookies if I can't in to see my doctor.  I'll talk to him on the phone. ;D

Hugs, Hot Chocolate and Warm Cookies,
Pooh

genko_b

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:37:46 PM »
We just got our snow here in Seattle. Not much by Michigan standards, but with the hills and lack of experience with snow, it is pretty hazardous. Even one sanding truck overturned. And it is going to be quite cold for a few days - well below freezing. It started with thunder and lightning this morning. And we are expecting another snow storm on Sunday. Very strange.

Genko

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »
Pooh, I can sympathize with your appointment!  After tonight's snow, we are supposed to get it again on Sunday.  I have an appt with my rheumy in Lansing which is about 75 miles away.  Could be interesting, but we will probably take our 4x4 and go anyhow as hubby is good at handling this.  It takes so long to get an appt with my rheumy, I'll go if at all possible.  You take it easy and change your appt if you need!  I want to keep all my appts because I'm going to Fla this winter no matter what.   ;D ;D Lucy

Pooh

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:03:52 PM »
I don't know how it happened because we have always been so careful, but hubby and I both have doctor appts. in the morning.  His is about the same time as mine only in the opposite direction.  He usually takes me.

This happened last year and my rheumy couldn't get out to the office so they rescheduled all his appts. for the following week. 

I'll stay home if it's bad and so will my hubby, neither of us can afford to get hurt. 

I hope you have a great Christmas and a really enjoyable stay in Florida. 

Pooh

Lotus1

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:51:25 AM »
No blizzard coming here in Western Australia.  I'm jealous - would love a "white" Christmas.  Hope our Christmas isn't a stinker!
I've been to Canada 4 times in my life & loved the snow.  Guess the novelty would wear off.  My father is Canadian & still has his accent somewhat since migrating in 1955.
Happy Christmas everyone.

Lotus1

eyeamdry

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:46:13 PM »
Lotus, I was born and raised (for wwhile) on the American side of the Canada/US border.  My family had the "accent".  When I go "up there" and find myself among the folks, including many Canadians which come across the border, I can find myself picking up this accent very easily.  Aye!

We are having a bugger of a winter even before it officially turns from fall to winter.  It's white, allright.  I know several on this site have moved from the midwest to more gentle climates and I like to report on our winter wonderland.  I have cabin fever already and have been in the house several days.  I do feel for people who REALLY can't get out of the house and those who have younguns that make it almost impossible to venture out.  From Whiteout Central......Lucy

Pooh

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 03:27:09 PM »
Well, I made it to the doctor's and managed to get a little shopping done before heading back down the interstate.  I was watching the temperature report on the dash all the way up and all the way back.  All I could think about was "Thank God, this is rain and not snow".  It poured all the way and all the way back.  The temp would go from 33 to 34 and back to 33.  If it had hit 32 I would have slowed down even more and stayed to the right. 

Fortunately our highway department spread the liquid salt mixture last week when we had the ice storm, and they were stationed at all the right spots along the interstate, ready to go into action if it changed, so I felt pretty safe. 

Still really happy to be in now since the temps are dropping and snow, sleet and rain are forcast for tonight.  Oh Yea!..............................................................not. :(

Sure glad I don't have to go out again.  I finished up my odd and ends shopping before I came home. ;D  Just 25 miles further up the interstate in Harrisburg and west into Lancaster they have had all snow.  Whew!  dodged that bullet! ;D

Take care everyone and if you must travel in bad weather, Please be careful.

Hugs, Pooh

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »
Please stay warm and safe, everyone!   Pooh, I'm glad you made your appointment safely.   I did think about you!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

eyeamdry

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »
  Just 25 miles further up the interstate in Harrisburg and west into Lancaster they have had all snow.  Whew!

Pooh, my nephew lives in Harrisburg and it's nice to know he's dealing with the same stuff we are here.  I know PA's roads are awful, so skinny with no shoulder on the road, also hills straight down.  I couldn't drive there in the winter.  Lucy

eyeamdry

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »
It is now Sunday evening and it has been blizzard conditions for 24 hours.  High winds and we have about 8 more inches of snow on top of what we previously had two days before.  It says we're into more of the same through the night into Monday morning.

I have a rheumatologist appt 75 miles away tomorrow and it looks like I won't be able to keep it.  Will sait until morning and make a decision.  Lucy

SeaBreeze

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 04:34:42 PM »
Hey...Lucy and other storm chasers... we got another foot here too.... its still snowing, it really hasn't stopped since Friday afternoon, although most of yesterday it was light... I had to shovel because I didn't want that stuff to freeze under my car.  (probably not the best choice after the ole' heart attack), I did a little at a time.. I'm watching the snow accumalate..and made Toll House CCC...  I'm on basement level and there is a drift swooping onto my window..  ;D fun.. fun... fun...

eyeamdry

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
It's snowing again here Tuesday night.  This is our fourth storm/blizzard in about as many days!  Really, really a bad start to the winter, but most of it (snow) was before winter.  To make matters worse, it's supposed to RAIN/SLEET here tomorrow.  A couple of days ago it was 10 degrees below zero.  It is really pretty to be all white at Christmas time, but the driving is nuts and people are all out on the road!  (Not me, only a couple of times.)   Let's hope for no ice storm as the rain moves through.  I actually hear the sun might shine on Christmas Day.  So far in December, we've had 4% of available sunshine!  No chance of sunburn around here. :D  Everyone stay warm and dry.  lucy