Author Topic: Blizzard Coming  (Read 14774 times)

SeaBreeze

Re: Blizzard Coming
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
Big controversy here in NH/MA... not sure if they are going to get the required 180 days of school in...  :o
They're throwing around the idea of Saturday school  :o  or longer hours... This should be interesting..

eyeamdry

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »
I'm freezing.  That said, I'm wearing a heavy set of sweats and socks with warm slippers.  We went out earlier tonight to pick up a few things and I'm surprised how many people were out at the mall and grocery shopping.  Probably getting ready for the next few days which are (again) to be frigid and with snow.  Much of our snow in lower SW MI is lake-effect snow and can be unusually heavy.  I'm just about two hours NE of Chicago and their weather is often like ours.  Theirs is often WORSE than ours, as they have such a large population.

We have three "warnings" going across our tv screen.  1) There is a wind chill advisory (not sure if I've ever seen this one before. 2) then there is a lake effect snow "advisory" and 3) a lake effect snow "warning."  Talk about confusing.  We can't see the tv program for warnings.  Needless to say, I think it will be cold and snowy.  Then again, it might be too cold to snow.  I hope everyone stays warm and safe.  Lucy

Pooh

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 05:58:27 AM »
Lucy, I am so glad we live on the other side of the mountains.  Most of the time, by the time the snow gets to us it's snowed itself out.  That being said, I woke to single digit temps and a coating of snow this morning. 

I ask hubby if he would drive me to York this morning to pick up my new glasses.  The roads are clear, but driveways and sidewalks are a mess.  I don't do slick walking at all any more. ;D

And it's snowing again.  The weatherman just said the Alberta Clipper is coming in.  Oh yea!!

See you all in the spring! :D

Pooh

Epson

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »
Tuesday I went to the local Tractor and snow blower dealer to get some advise about what might be wrong with my 15 year old snow blower.  I wish the guy I talked to was a doctor, he explained everything he could about what might be wrong.  I also look at some new snow blowers, just in case I can't get the old one to work, the last big snow fall my wife and I had to shovel and neither one of us should be doing that.

I got the old one working, but decided that it doesn't have much life left in it, so I will go and get a new one.  When I went back to the store on Wednesday  I bought the last machine he had.  Unless you want a giant snow blower your out of luck, there all gone.

The same snow blower is selling on the internet for $100 more then I paid, but that's all right, because I am ready for anything     Ma Nature throws at me now.

Chico

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 08:29:39 AM »
We're snowed in, schools are out and tonight it's supposed to get really cold. Zero.  Marvelling how much heavier 30% humidity feels when it gets this cold outside. Had to turn off humidifier to sleep.

Chico

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »
GOOD NEWS . . . . . 64 DAYS UNTIL SPRING!!!!!   ;D  ;D   ;D   ;D

We have to have a goal to look forward too . . .ahhhh SPRING . . . a time of new beginnings after a cold, snowy, wet, cold, snowy, cold, cold winter.   :D  I love when the birds are singing, trees are budding, flowers popping up out of the ground, grass starts to green up.  Sigh . . . 64 days isn't too long to wait . . . work with me here, I'm trying to give myself a pep talk as it is only 4 degrees outside right now!!  

Keep the faith . . . I have never seen the "seasons" skip out and not come . . we just have to be PATIENT . . . "there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven . . . . "

Have a good day . . . stay warm.  (raising my mug of hot chocolate to ya!!   as my teeth are chattering . . . brrrrrrrrr)  ;D

Bucky

P.S.  Hey Epson . . want to try out that new snow blower of yours?  I've got a long driveway that should put it to the test.  :)

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Epson

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »
Bucky,

I'm in Cleveland, we only get two seasons, winter and summer, so your 64 days till spring won't work for us.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
Epson, I was born and raised in a 'burb of Cleveland   ;D  The winters there aren't so bad . . ha ha ha ha

My family still lives there . . in the snowbelt of Geauga County . . . talk about SNOW!!

You would think the retail stores would have enough of winter supplies to last the FULL season of winter.  Shoot, they start clearance sales on winter clothing in early January . . hello, winter is just a little under a month old!!!  If you want a bathing suit - they are out in the stores now . . buy it now, you won't find one in July!  LOL  I know the stores have to plan ahead, but they should also keep enough stock for the current season and not jump seasons ahead.

Congrats on the new (and last one in the store) snow blower.  Bet you'll get a lot of use of out it.   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

BonusMom

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 01:20:09 PM »
Wish we had a share of your snow/bad weather.  Here in Sacramento, it's expected to be 66 degrees this afternoon.  The nights have been very cold, but the days are mild.  Unfortunately, we're only at 50% of normal rainful for January and if we don't do get some rain soon, we're going to be in a world of hurt come summer as the last few years have been dry.  Perhaps the CA budget woes, SjS and weather are conspiring--all dry in 2009!

Epson

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »
Bonusmom,

You poor thing, only 66 degrees out side, go ahead rub it in, it's 2 below in Ohio.  Yeas, below zero, ffffreezzing in Ohio. :o

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
It was about 27 below here this morning. The cancelled school again. The wind was hardly blowing and the sun was out and beautiful. I think the world is getting really wimpy cause when our boys were in school they always had school unless you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Of course, our kids were used to the snow as we had tons of it back then and living on a hobby farm they were used to being dressed warm and out in the cold for hours on end. When they worked and went to school and drove they always carried extra clothes in case of problems.

Now days the kids don't wear enough clothes. Kids have been reported wearing flip flops in this snowy weather and no coats while driving a car---on the not so cold days. Tonight will be 29 below or more and thank goodness very little wind. Should start warming up on Saturday and by next Monday be in the teens. The weather gal said it was 45 degrees in Anchorage today so that means better weather pattern for us.

I hate to say it but this darn good freeze that we are having is really good to get rid of some of the viruses and bugs that attack the crops, grass, trees, etc. Also, the extra snow is good as we have been really dry the last years.

Glad you are ready for the big snow Epson. My hubby uses an old tractor that belonged to his Dad with a snow blower attachment that grampa made. Works well.I asked my hubby if he thought he would still be battling the snow when he was 70 years old and he just gavae me a look.

Just curious, but are you folks having a "sunny" winter in spite of the cold?? We have had a lot of sunshine this winter and it is wonderful. Irish ;D

Epson

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
Ha, ha, northern Ohio doesn't know what sunshine is, I thinks it's that orange ball up in the sky, right?

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 07:45:38 AM »
Yep Irish . . the sun is brightly shining this -16 degree morning.   ;D  In fact, if you're by a window you almost need to be wearing sunglasses the reflection off the snow is blinding.

"Sunshine . . on my shoulder . . makes me happy . . . . "   :D

Bucky

Janness

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »
Please no snowball throwing!

But, I love snow and just finished saying to my husband, I want snow. He just gave me one of those looks, he is not fond of snow since he does snow removal.

Pooh, we are not too far from you, and we got nothing. Send it my way.

I transport Seniors to medical appointment so I must go out in cold. Many layers!!!!

Stay warm everyone! Please build a snowman for me.

Janness

eyeamdry

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »
I was leaving my volunteer job today at 5 pm and the sun was shining brightly and the temp was 3 degrees.  I had to stop for gas and was not happy about that.  It was, of course, a station where you had to pay in advance and go back and forth.  It took about 10 minutes frogging around and I was frozen although I was warmly dressed.  I'm wondering what the windchill was then because we did have a wind.

I also heard (some above posted) that Chicago was -17 degrees today and North Pole, Alaska was 43 degrees!  Now that's weird.  I can't wait until Feb. 13th and we're off to Fla for a month.  Lucy