Author Topic: You Jinxed Me!  (Read 3700 times)

ktfabian

You Jinxed Me!
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
(While my headline may treat this as a light, unimportant topic, believe me, I know it's anything but)

I went to the urologist today. I was thinking of those of you who've had troubles lately, especially Epson on Irish's husband and our talk of catheters.  This was just what I considered an unnecessary visit required by the neurosurgeon who's working up a decision on whether or not I need further back surgery.  (He's been working on it for several months now, so I'm not really taking his opinion very seriously and have already found another doctor to review my tests)

I gave my little sample to the nurse when I arrived and was anxious to get moving, I had shopping to do. Then the urologist comes in and tells me that there is a bit of blood in my urine and that it's more concentrated than he thinks it should be given the amount I've reported I drink.  He's concerned that maybe I'm not emptying as well as I should be.

At this point, I have flash backs to about 8 years ago when my back problems were very bad and I ended up having emergency surgery twice because my bladder shut down.  One of those times, it didn't come right back, so I had to catheterize myself at home for a couple of months til it started working again.

I go and empty and they do a scan, and sure enough - there's still enough left to be concerned about.

Right now, he says there's not that much blood that he's going to go looking for a cause, but I have to take back a first thing in the morning sample.  And I have to go back in 2 months (or sooner of the problem gets worse) to see how I'm emptying.  He's pretty sure my medicines may be a partial cause, as could the large herniated disk, and that if thinkgs haven't improved by my next visit, they're going to want to go in and look around.  Yucko!

Maybe it's something in the Sjogren's water? Well, put that way, that' s kind of gross.  Please just keep your fingers crossed that it's much ado about nothing.

Thanks, Tracy

pudmott

Re: You Jinxed Me!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »
Ahh tracy,

don't you just love it when you get tested for one thing and it shows up something entirely different and then opens up a whole other can of worms? Its probably a good thing they found it though cause the last thing you want is to go into retention.

I will keep my fingers crossed that your bladder does its emptying thing and they dont have to go poking aorund in there.

Pud

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »
Aw Tracy 

It's one thing after another isn't it?

Looking round? Yuk - as you say. They need to know what's up though. I hope you find the cause soon and that it's easily rectified.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:59:35 PM »
Tracy,
   Best wishes, Hon.   I'm sorry you have to go through this, too.   Hang in there!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Collie

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »
Tracy,

Don't you just hate it, you never know what to expect. I thought once I had a diagnosis, I would at lest know what to expect and not be surprised when weird and unexplainable things would happen to me. I am glad the Doc has found the bleeding early and hopefully can find the cause and correct it before it become serious.

Collie

Pooh

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »
Hi Tracy, fingers are crossed and am sending up a prayer or two.  Can't hurt.

Hugs, Pooh

lynnmarie219

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »
Hi Tracy,

Here's hoping that you don't have to go that route of them going in and looking around! Ill keep my fingers crossed as well for you! But if you do.....I'm sure that your doctor will make you comfortable during the procedure. I had this done and my doc and nurse were very nice about it all and it was done right in the office!

Good luck to you....let us know how you are doing!

ktfabian

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the good thoughts and wishes!

I've been through this will this doctor before, and went back because I know how gentle he is when he does a procedure and also how well he explains things - down to a "Geez, even I understand that" level.

A new little (?) wiggle introduced itslelf today while I was in Philadelphia receiving my Rituxan infusion.  Every time I would try to add a bil of extra pressure to empty my bladder, through no effort on my part, the other end would start going, just a bit, but enoughth to be hard to clean up and annoying. I'll keep and eye on things over the weekend, and if it gets any worse, call the urologist. He said he would be concerned if I had vaginal numbness (I almost laughed out loud at that one..my husband hasn't had any interest in that part of my body in so long, I'm not sure it works). Sorry about that...if thanks get worse or I notice any new symptoms, I'll call his service ove the weekend.

I din't know what, if any, connection there is- but my blood work showed :
low red blood cell count
low hemoglobin
low hematocrit

this morning.  The bottom two are nothing new, but the low blood red cell count it.  None were terribly low numbers.   Hmmmmmm
Time to try to sleep.  Thanks for listening to my late night concerns keeping me awake.  Today was not one of my better days, but I'm really hopeful that the Rituxan will kick in an my Sjogren's will slow down a bit.

Tracy