Author Topic: CPap  (Read 2149 times)

Sandra

CPap
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »
Hi just thought i'd write a note about something that could be helpful for some. My hubby was just dxed Apnea. He was given the machine and mask and it's working well for him, Yea! ;D
Here's the thing I was with him when he was set up with it, and it has a humidifier on it that adjusts to what ever is needed for the humidity levels outside etc. I immediatley thought of my throat in the winter time up here, it get so cold and dry I have a room humidifier and ever set to max I wake up choking and stuffy. I wondered what would happen if I was to use the machine too? Anybody have one and sjs? How does it work for the nighttime dryness? Sandra

Skylar

Re: CPap
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:25:19 AM »
Hi Sandra, I have a Cpap machine with humidification and I am so thankful for that machine. Not only does it humidify but it also keeps your lungs fully expanded when you breath in. I have found in the year that I've had the machine that I'm more comfortable, sleep better and I haven't had any bronchitis yet (Fingers and toes crossed and knock on wood, not that I'm superstitious).

Skylar

Patze

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »
Hi Sandra,

Can  you please see your doctor about getting a sleep study done (call me a coward, but I wouldn't use the machine without the doctor's ok)?  If your ENT or neuro won't prescribe a study, can you talk to your Internist or rheumy?  The rheumy prescribed the studies for me - the ENT flat out ignored the symptoms/complaints as did the neuro. 

I also have a CPAP with a humidifier for a couple of months now, and I've had issues with it since day one.  I too don't wake up with the ultra dry throat/mouth anymore, but I still have some problems with it (often wake up struggling with the nasal puff/straps).  Unlike Skylar, I still don't sleep through the night, and I'm starting to believe I will never sleep through the night again.  Boo-hoo-hoo.

Take care -

Patze
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:21:55 PM by Patze »
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Skylar

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »
YEs, Patze brings up an important fact - the cpap machine must be prescribed for you by a pulmonologist and the settings are determined with a sleep study where they determine how much pressure you require. In other words, to use someone else's machine would be a big mistake. Definitely ask to be tested - I was sure I didn't have sleep apnea and I never fell asleep in the evening in front of the tele like most people do.

Skylar

lynnmarie219

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 05:08:35 PM »
Hi Sandra,

I also use a c-pap with a humidifier in it and it DOES help me a lot......BUT I have to second and third what Skyler and Patze have already said about not using another persons machine. The pressure is set for each individual person according to their sleep study. So please see your doctor and inquire about a a study BEFORE trying to using a c-pap machine!

Good luck and let us know what the doctor says!