Author Topic: Heart Issues?  (Read 3268 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Heart Issues?
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:24:22 PM »
How often are heart issues(problems) related to sjogrens? Can fibromyalgia relate? Just want some input on this to better understand, and to know if I need any other tests. My main thing is some shortness of breath I have, but with gerd and all the dryness from sjogrens, I never know what is what. The only chest pain I  ever have is muscles in the chest, in otherwords that part is my fibromyalgia. Also, can being a lot overweight cause the shortness of breath also?

susanep :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:26:24 PM by susanep »
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Pooh

Re: Heart Issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »
Hi Susan,
I'll answer you last question 1st.  Being overweight doesn't help and if you can manage to lose some, all the better.  I have been fighting that battle since September and I've managed to lose 48 lbs. but now I'm stuck.  I just hope I can hang on until that dang scale decides to move again.  ;D

I can't say if Sjs has anything to do with causing heart problems or not, but I too have them, along with the GERD.  I started out having Super Ventricular Tachycardia and after having it Ablated, I started with Atrial tachycardia.  I'm told it has to do with our Autonomic system.  My rheumy says yes it's related to the Sjs and my cardio says maybe. 

I do know a severe bout of GERD can feel like a massive heart attack.  I spent 4 days in hospital with it one time.  I really thought it was THE BIG ONE.  However, when you are in doubt, get it checked out immediately.  Don't mess with it.

This is only my personal experience with what you are asking and I'm sure we are all different.  Please discuss this with your doctor and see if he/she has any concerns about it for you. 

Pooh

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:49:22 AM »
Hi Pooh,

The things you mentioned with your heart, how did it make you feel? I hope you are doing well. Yes I will be finding something out. Thanks.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Pooh

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »
Hi Susan,
When the tachycardia is active, it feels  as though someone is shaking a water balloon in my chest.  That's the only way I can describe it.  Most of the time it doesn't have any pain with it, just a fullness and the shaking.  Rapid beat.  Depending on how fast it is and how long it goes on (doctor told me to not wait for help past 20 minutes) , I either head for the ER where they give me a shot to stop it, or if that didn't work, I had to have the paddle conversion.  This was only with SVT. 

After one of these episodes I usually slept for hours.  It really tires you out. 

If think you are having heart problems, PLEASE see your doctor.  Don't fool around with it.  It's better to know whether it's the GERD or your heart.  If it's the GERD causing your chest pain, then it should be treated.   If it's your heart, then it DEFINITELY should be looked at and treated. 

Please let me know how you are doing. 

Hugs, Pooh

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:24:38 AM »
Susan, Please see your doctor about this shortness of breath. You have autoimmune disease, lung issues, diabetes etc and all of these problems can cause shortness of breath or possible some heart issues. Also, the darn weight doesn't help at all as I lug around a lot of weight that I shouldn't. There is a big difference in the cause of shortness of breath and some of them can be life threatening. Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. Irish ;D

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:36:10 AM »
Hi Susan  :)

I'm with the others. See your doctor. Shortness of breath and chest pains need investigation.

The trouble with having SjS is that not everything that goes wrong is due to it and it doesn't stop other stuff happening either.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!