Author Topic: Today Last Day of School-What A Day!  (Read 4143 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Today Last Day of School-What A Day!
« on: May 24, 2008, 01:04:43 PM »
Yes we had  to go half a day today on Saturday, because they did not plan in for the day out for primary election. I was feeling so good to get through this year as well as I did. Sorry for this rant, but I feel like be **** if I do , be **** if I don't.

As a special ed teacher I have always just been more concerned with helping the kids than the rest of the junk. They assigned me at this elementary school 2 assistants. I was told by principal that it is my job to fill them in on things, disorder info, etc.  (a little background) all the way through my training at college they taught us about "chain of command". In other words all of us has someone working over and under us is a short way of putting it. It's not to me suppose to be about personal feelings, because we all need each other, but when I taught at the highschool, I was reprimanded for not telling assistants what I needed done or whatever so I could spend more time teaching, and the enormous paper work involved. My special ed supervisor even told me I was to take the bull by the horns and do that part of my job also.

So, the last few weeks a new young assistant we have in my room and the other assistant who has  worked at this school for a long time got me in trouble today, my last day with the principal. All because I had give a sample copy of a diagram of chain of command to the new young assistant.

I also gave them both a nice letter telling them what a good job they had done, and what a wonderful year we had, and to have a nice summer. See the new young assistant kept questioning me weekly if I recieved materials ordered to use in my instruction and she didnt get hers yet. She would ask me weekly why I could already know about some of the students I will work with next year and she doesnt. Just this and that. I told her each time she needed to speak to the principal about it.

Both assistants also gossip around about the special ed students with just anyone , and I uphold strict confidentiality.

So I am called to the office with both assistants sitting there, and confronted by the principal. She upheld them on all points, and told me the only chain of command in this school is her. She demeaned me in front of the assistants, etc.

I left in a bit of shock. Glad to go and out for the summer. I just took a xanax, after my husband picked me up, and we left for awhile to just get away.  I don't know, maybe I was dead wrong, but all I care about is that this school system get their act together and tell me which way is it. Instead of getting the chopping block either way.

Sorry about all this, but just when I think things are better someone or many throw me for a loop, and so begin the flares.

What really hurts is whenever I would be out , and find materials to use and buy me something with my own money , if I though they could use it too, and it was'nt too expensive , I always got them some too.

Thanks for listening.
susanep ???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:14:29 PM by quiger »
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

lynnmarie219

Re: Today Last Day of School-What A Day!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »
Oh Susan....I'm sorry for what happened to you! I hope you feel a little better getting it out here.

I can relate to some of what yo are talking about because I am going through a hard time a work right now too. And when you said the principle brought you into the office and demeaned you in front of the assistants....that just got my blood boiling. Thats was completely wrong and unprofessional and it should have been dealt with differently in my opinion. 

So what is your plan? Do you think you are going to let this go or say something? I know you have had problems in the past and like you said.....you feel like you cant win either way. Maybe just take some time and think it throught before making any decisions right now.

Will these assistants be working with you again next year? If so....I would have a concern with that and you may want to get the schools expectations clear and in writing before this can happen again next year. 

Either way...you do have time to relax for today and think it through until you know what the right thing is to do for yourself! You don't have to rush into any decisions today. Hugs to you....I truly understand how difficult and upsetting this can be.....please let us know how it goes for you! 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:03:52 PM by lynnmarie219 »

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 04:44:59 PM »
Hi Susan

That's a horrible situation to find yourself in. Sounds like a cr*p head to me. very unprofessional to undermine a colleague in front of others and if she''s the only 'chain' of command - then it isn't much of a chain! (More a collar)

My school year isn't over yet but this week is half term and I really need it. I nearly fell out with my line manager the other day because she cares about her 'kudos' and her centre's 'kudos' and a school's point system and doesn't really give a toss about the kids in the system.

I agree with lynnmarie. getting something in writing would be good.

Take care - breathe deeply - reflect and count 10 - then come out fighting!  Scottie
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »
I know that a bad manager can make a good job bad and a good manager can make a bad job good. To cut my hours and still keep working, I took a job teaching Mad Science after school and camps during the summer. I am not informed about special needs children before they appear in my classroom. I often do not have a para to assist me.

My worst day was a full day summer camp with one autistic child, two aspbergers (sp) and the rest of my 20 kids were ADD or ADHD. The school provided me with one para. The first day of class the kids lined up in front of me and took my face in their hands and asked me three times if I was going to be their teacher. I did not know what to do. That week was one of my best weeks of teaching.

I applaud any one who aspires to teach children. I also believe that those that teach children with special needs are several steps above. (My applause to you!)
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

susanep

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »
Thanks Everyone, Yes I will have the same assistants again when we return this fall. I don't trust any of them though. I don't plan to rush into anything, but take plenty of time this summer to reflect and make my plans. I know me and my husband are going to find out to the t the school systems policies on this since my principal didn't seem to know. I agree with you also that when I return I will get it in writing what I am and am not suppose to do . I have already done a lot of documenting this year, and I always bring it home with me. I learned this the hard way. I guess I will continue to document out the kazoo from here on out.

I am trying hard to let it go for now, and rest and enjoy my summer, and try to heal some with this sjogren's and fibro, but it is harder to not think about than I thought.

One thing that helps is my little fur babies licking me right now.  :) The other thing that helps so so much is being able to come here to you folks who are understanding and so compassionate. Thankyou.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
Susan, I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through this. When you came to this site you were so sick and had to deal with other teachers and administration that did not understand Sjogrens. I admire you for putting up with all the garbage and hanging in there. I bet the kids really like you for a teacher. Sounds like you are very good to them.

I have worked with many people who act like your assitants did. It is really disgusting because you are trying to get a job done and to have to put up with adults who act like children really can ruin a day. Hopefully, these people will get their act together. Also, I am curious if you have a teachers union that can help you with this issue. Your principal's attitude sounds a lot like a lot of rude doctors that I have seen. Sort of think they are "God" and no one else is important. Good luck. Irish ;D

susanep

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »
Irish you really touched me with what you said. Thankyou.

susanep

salsen

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
Do these assistants have the credentials in special ed that you do?  At the schools around here the  assistance or aides need only two years of college.  For sure there is a chain of command with the teacher of the class making the decisions of the classroom.  All information on special ed students are suppose to be kept confidential per federal law.  Maybe your assistants should be informed of this fact.  They can be held accountable if information they chat about becomes common knowledge.  At least you can forget about it for the summer.  Enjoy yourself  -- you have earned it.

susanep

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »
salsen, one of these assistants has maybe 2 years college, because she wanted to be a teacher, but decided not to. I doubt she has 2 years. More like a class here and there. The young assistant that is causing all the trouble hasn't passed a test that is all that is required for them to be hired as an assistant. There are many basic things she does not know that she would be expected to teach the kids. It's all insane. She has an aunt that is one of our cooks in the lunchroom, a relative that is our librarian, and related to a few others, but I am one who could care less who is related to who. I got my job the old fashioned way, I worked hard, with no breaks, and no relatives speaking for me etc.

I didn't go to college when I was young. I went later in life, so I felt I had to work extra hard when I would go to class with all the young ones. I guess I thought it had been so long since I had been in high school that though my zeal was great to be there, I didn't think I would be able to do as well as the others, so I worked extra hard.

Oh Well,
I love the line in Gone With the Wind (I'll think about it tomorrow) :D
susanep

mompain

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 08:19:01 PM »
Susan,
I have been a teacher for 26 years and had to retire this year due to my health problems.  It sounds to me as if you need to get in touch with your superintendent or your local education Representative about what happened in your classroom.  I know in Alabama, it is called an Alabama Education Association Representative.  I had a problem with my principal this year and contacted my Representative to see what my options according to law were.  She spent a lot of time with me discussing some options that I had as far as the law goes.  It really helped me a lot and I felt much more confident that what I was doing was the right thing.  It did solve my problem. 

I do not know if you have anything like that in your area, but you definitely have not been treated as  a professional and an assistant DEFINITELY does not have the same position as you do in your classroom.  Your principal was WRONG.  To be treated the way you were is against educational laws and you should not tolerate it.  If this were to happen in the school I worked for, the state Representative would have the principal and all involved parties  in a meeting the next day!! 

I will be thinking about you.  Please let us know what happens with this.  You should not have to be treated like this in front of others or in your own classroom.  You went to school and got your teaching degree and it should be respected.  You have the right to feel comfortable in your classroom and school.  Please put your foot down and enforce your rights.