Author Topic: Brainstorming common problems with doctors and possible solutions  (Read 3213 times)

wordnerd

I thought I'd start a thread to list common problem's you've encountered with doctors and brainstorm different approaches to solving those problems or things that have actually worked for you in the past.  Feel free to post either problems or possible solutions to yours or others problems or both.  (But let's keep the focus on how to solve similar problems in the future instead of what should have or could have been done.)

If you've also experienced a problem that has already been mentioned, please say so... it will help everyone get a sense of what the most common problems are.

I have a lot I plan to post when I get my thoughts together :D

-Lauren

Katybarstool

Re: Brainstorming common problems with doctors and possible solutions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:25:39 PM »
Lauren

If you can be so thoughtful and focused when you are so ill, you must be pretty awesome when you are not! I think you are a pioneer, with all those good ideas and writing skills, and still so young! You have a wonderful future ahead of you.

Kathyx

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
Lauren - brilliant idea!
Hugs and hope you're feeling better, by the way.
When I had a physician treat me in an unprofessional manner, once I got over the initial shock of what I was hearing, I tried my hardest to remember exactly what was said. I left the appointment fuming, but grabbed a pen and a piece of paper on my way out, and wrote down the date, time, and all the details that I could remember.

Then I wrote a calm, detached, but very thorough letter to this doctor's department head.

I have to say that the results were gratifying. This urologist called me at work the next day and wanted to have a conversation with me as to how my treatment should proceed. I told him that I appreciated the call, but that I would not feel comfortable with someone with his skill set treating me. He did not apologize for his behavior, and in a way I was glad, because I was not at a place where I felt that I could accept one.

I went to another urologist in the same department and was treated very well.
Julia

wordnerd

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »
Thanks Kathy and Julia!  I try to keep my mind busy so it doesn't dwell on unproductive things.

I coincidentally just ran into this article while browsing around cnn.com 5 mistakes women make at the doctor's office.  It talks about issues women in particular tend to have with being assertive with their doctors and ways to avoid them.  It could have been written just for us!  Weird.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »
Hi  :)

I know when I was having thyroid problems and my GP kept insisting my levels were OK, I requested to be referred back to the endocrinologist. I then went home and emailed the endocrinologists secretary in the hopes of getting an early appointment.

I don't know whether the appointment was brought forward or not but I know the endo wrote to my doctor and told him the levels he thought were OK weren't.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!